Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

Need Advice on Ceiing repair

valtorrez
9 years ago

When I purchased my home 6 years ago, the seller had removed a nonweight bearing wall to make first floor open area. He then did popcorn ceiling. I am now seeing a thin crack in ceiling where wall would have been. Since moving here, my husband and I have become DIY'ers. What can I put on crack to seal it. was thinking about just repainting of applying a thin layer of caulk. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• zep516
    9 years ago

Homax Popcorn Ceiling Texture Spray

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The crack may be caused by the owner failing to tape and patch the joint properly, and simply spraying over it. If that is the case, just putting something on the crack may be only a temporary fix before it opens up again due to seasonal movement. You can try to just patch it now, but, if the crack reappears, you would then need to decide whether it was troublesome enough to actually scrape the ceiling (at least in that location) to tape the joint better.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

If movement of the framing is the cause of the crack, covering it with a molding or fake beam would be a solution.

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What should I patch it with?

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Your best option is to do what kudzu9 suggests: scrape and patch correctly. The chances of caulk or spray paint holding up for more than a short time are, imho, pretty remote. Scrape off the popcorn, use wide self-adhesive fiberglass tape - the newer thinner type is especially good for this kind of repair - coat with joint compound, sand and repaint. This will be a tedious process for a long crack on a high ceiling, but once done it you should not have to do it again.

If by chance you find that the crack has appeared through a previous taping job, it would be a good idea to have an experienced builder take a look to make sure there is not some serious movement of ceiling joists involved.