Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best driveway snow markers

Posted by hollyhocks (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 13:32

just built a new house. wondering what is the best driveway snow markers? we have 900' of gravel driveway w/Ohio clay soil on each side. So many on the market: stick reflectors, round reflectors on sticks. need something that is easy to drive into the ground, durable (since I have to purchase so many) and visible. never used any before. do they last? any advice is much appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best driveway snow markers

Buy the least expensive---you will be replacing a lot of them.

One way to save money is to alternate sides, instead of lining each side.

o

I have used the first and fourth snow stakes.
The circled reflectors ars not as tall as the white orange pole stakes , off only by a few inches. I guess it depends on who manufacturers them.
The circled reflectors shaft splintered over time . These tiny slivers are nasty.
I have a 1200 foot drive way.
I used the first circled reflectors to stake the utility box and stream. I used the orange and yellow stakes to border the drive leaving space for the tractor to pass as we hauled the snow.
I bought a box of 200 stakes off the internet and a few break each year by the UPS truck or they snap as I pull them out at the end of the season.

o

thanks! are the pole type reflectors (orange & yellow in photo) easy to push into the ground? if its snowing, is it too late to push the plastic into the frozen ground?

o

Once the ground freezes it is very difficult to insert the thin orange snow stakes. They do not advance and end bending as you try to force them in.

I paid less buying them off the internet then Home Depot prices.
OHio..... it takes a few days of solid freezing temps for the ground to freeze. We have had two snow falls , a few nights of 25 degree temps and the days in the low 50's. I planted bulbs yesterday with no issue.
Plan on getting the drive staked this week.
I used two poles to denote rocks, or an old telephone box. It sucks hitting this with the tractor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here