Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollyhocks_gw

Best driveway snow markers

hollyhocks
10 years ago

just built a new house. wondering what is the best driveway snow markers? we have 900' of gravel driveway w/Ohio clay soil on each side. So many on the market: stick reflectors, round reflectors on sticks. need something that is easy to drive into the ground, durable (since I have to purchase so many) and visible. never used any before. do they last? any advice is much appreciated

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Buy the least expensive---you will be replacing a lot of them.

One way to save money is to alternate sides, instead of lining each side.

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

I have used the first and fourth snow stakes.
    The circled reflectors ars not as tall as the white orange pole stakes , off only by a few inches. I guess it depends on who manufacturers them.
    The circled reflectors shaft splintered over time . These tiny slivers are nasty.
    I have a 1200 foot drive way.
    I used the first circled reflectors to stake the utility box and stream. I used the orange and yellow stakes to border the drive leaving space for the tractor to pass as we hauled the snow.
    I bought a box of 200 stakes off the internet and a few break each year by the UPS truck or they snap as I pull them out at the end of the season.

• hollyhocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! are the pole type reflectors (orange & yellow in photo) easy to push into the ground? if its snowing, is it too late to push the plastic into the frozen ground?

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Once the ground freezes it is very difficult to insert the thin orange snow stakes. They do not advance and end bending as you try to force them in.

I paid less buying them off the internet then Home Depot prices.
    OHio..... it takes a few days of solid freezing temps for the ground to freeze. We have had two snow falls , a few nights of 25 degree temps and the days in the low 50's. I planted bulbs yesterday with no issue.
    Plan on getting the drive staked this week.
    I used two poles to denote rocks, or an old telephone box. It sucks hitting this with the tractor.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES