Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to cut concrete?

Posted by konrad___far_north (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 13:03

I need to cut about 6 feet in length and about 3 to 4 inch thick in vertical position into a septic tank... making a door entrance for the root cellar.

Have no power, I'm thinking by hand with chisel, or hire somebody with diamond saw. If I chisel by hand, then I can make a nice U cut, curve on top for better strength of door, not dealing with sharp corner. Then I need to extend door by about 4 feet, side concrete wall with roof, tie into the tank with rebar. I guess heaving square corners would work too if I tie rebars into it? This would make it easier pouring the roof.
About 4 feet of soil will go on top and sides, the door extension will give me a second door.
Please advise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to cut concrete?

If you do not want to rent/buy/borrow a generator use a star drill to roughly outline the opening and then start to work with a chisel and drilling hammer.

An impact drill and some carbide bits would make shorter work of a large number of holes, reducing the chisel work needed.

o

Thank you so much Brickeyee!
Some good hints here,...think I should invest in a generator, can you recommend any?

o

Or you can rent one of these along with the drilling advise given for the corners and the bottom where the saw can't get to.

Here is a link that might be useful: saw

o

i have used the chisel and drilling hammer approach when I was younger and it works well, but it can make for a long day. At this point in life, I value my time more, so a gas-powered rental saw would be my tool of choice, particularly if I knew I would encounter rebar. Below is a link to an article on cutting concrete which has some interesting observations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting concrete

o

Thank you all!
I will take a visit to the rental and see.

o

Will this unit do for the job, running a hammer drill?
I know...have not much to spare, it should run up to a 10 amp motor.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1200W Generator

o

"it should run up to a 10 amp motor."

Motors have a large current draw at start-up, but if you get the drill turning before starting cutting it might handle 8 amps.

most of the generator power ratings are like Sear's "maximum developed horsepower."

A pure fantasy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here