Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!!!Raining on newly painted roof

Posted by gardenjewel (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 12:36

Hello,
I hired someone to apply white koolseal to my tin roof....He only was going to apply one coat, and did not quite finish so he will have to come back. However, That night we had heavy dew and low temps (45 degrees) The next morming the moisture comming off the roof was white and milky. The following day it rained and the dripping water was still white and milky. The product did not set completely. Am I right in thinkng this paint job is ruined even though it still looks like the roof has been painted.I think the integrity of the coating is now gone. Please help me. I would like some information or advice to prove that this job needs to be redone or that it at least needs another coat if he objects. I have photos that I can email. This is my first house and I have only onwed it for 2 months. I am uncertain about my next step. I will talk to the handyman tonight but was hoping for some advice first
Thank you for you help,
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!!!Raining on newly painted roof

It should be fine with another coat unless there are areas where the water got underneath causing blistering. This takes an up close inspection and is remdied by pin-holing the blister to allow the water to escape and letting it dry. If you dont feel confident about the installers integrity, get an un-biased opinion from a friend or family member, or someone reputable that can do a thorough inspection.

o

sierraeast,
Thanks...that gives me hope that not all is lost!
Julia

o

elsastomeric should be applied when temps are at least 65 degrees.this information is on the bucket of elastomeric.
these products should be installed at correct temps and when there are no chance or rain.
you may have to wait and re-do when temps are higher and chances of rain are few.
usually one coat is installed mid morning (when dew is dried on roof) and the final coat in mid afternoon.
also elastomeric requires two coats applied in opposite directions. on a tin roof the first coat goes across ridges in tin, second coat goes in same direction as ridges.
post your pics, and read the install directions on the
container. your handyman should have read before installing.

best of luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here