Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olddawg_gw

Bathtub liners

olddawg
11 years ago

The existing tub is worn and ugly. Re-finish/glaze does not seem to be a long-lasting solution. Since the bath is on the second level (with finished ceilings/rooms below), replacement is the last option.

Have any of you had good results with liners?

Just the sound of it turns me off...

Comments (7)

• homebound
    11 years ago

I don't know about the liners except that with their exorbitant cost I'd just as well apply that money to a new bathroom.

12 years ago we had both our tub and 4" glazed tile surround, etc. refinished with some sort of sprayed-on enamel or epoxy. Cost about $600 at the time and the bathroom is still going strong.

How to pick a company can be tricky because there are now products that are wiped-on rather than sprayed. I think they look terrible since they don't go on smoothly enough.

If there's any rust damage, such as around the flange, those repairs are cosmetically less than perfect.

• akamainegrower
    11 years ago

I have had very positive experience with an acrylic fiberglass liner from the Bath Fitter company. It was installed about 15 years ago and remains in excellent condition. I'm not sure what the cost is today, but compared to replacing the old glazed cast iron tub, it was anything but exorbitant. The company and its installers have been a pleasure to deal with - a very quick and inexpensive regluing of the upper section of a wall panel juts two years ago.

I have absolutely no connection to this company except as a very satisfied customer.

• olddawg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you folks!

• homebound
    11 years ago

For what it's worth:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/bath_fitters.html

Here is a link that might be useful: bathfitter comments

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The liners are often plastic materials and relatively soft.

Being thicker than the paints used for 'Re-finish/glaze' they are slightly harder to damage.

But you can still take off the gloss pretty easily (though it can sometimes be polished back).

• olddawg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"The liners are often plastic materials and relatively soft.

Being thicker than the paints used for 'Re-finish/glaze' they are slightly harder to damage.

But you can still take off the gloss pretty easily (though it can sometimes be polished back).":

Response;
    I did expect them to be plastic, in fact why I'm reluctant.
    If indeed, I hear they could be fiberglass, then I would have a clear change of heart.

Brings on a thought...
    Bonding agent to put a fiberglass spray on a cast tub?
    ..... be back after some more research...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>If indeed, I hear they could be fiberglass, then I would have a clear change of heart.

Not sure why. Fiberglas is about the lowest quality tub material available.

A neighbor did bathfitters and bitterly regretted it. She could have hired a contractor to do it right for the same outlay and it wouldn't have started staining.