Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoke alarm

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 12:14

Folks have home monitoring service. Have smoke alarm in kitchen. Stove has range hood but it is not externally vented. Alarm is 8ft from stove. It will trigger alarm if I cook food on single elec burner. I made some eggs. Took 5 min or less total. And alarm sounded. Alarm co calls on phone. Argh. Is alarm too sensitive? Can it be cleaned? Replaced? I cannot imagine temp rise at ceiling location is so high that alarm sounds? What is our option here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke alarm

Think I'd take a look at getting the range hood hooked up.

o

I would ask your monitoring company what they suggest as far as placement.

o

Call the alarm company, explain this to them and have them come move their alarm. 8 feet from a stove is just dumb installation

o
8' being too close

8' being too close depends on the layout of the area. A non working range hood will put out and trip alarms what you can't see by eye. A sensitive alarm is ok in my book but not so sensitive that it irratates you and the monitoring outfit for cooking fumes. Good advise to contact both the alarm co as well as your monitoring outfit so they can see your layout in person.

o

A smoke alarm should not be located in the kitchen.

o

House is smallish 1-1/2 story. 30x30ft. Open stairwell to basement is between kitchen/dining room. Alarm is at top of stairs at ceiling. Thought is it will sniff smoke from basement and kitchen obviously. Put it in dining room?

o

Perhaps put a detector on the basement ceiling at the bottom of the stairway and one in the dining room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here