Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chanjul

Reglazing a bathroom vanity top + sink - will it work?

chanj
9 years ago

Due to a careless contractor, I have a lot of nicks on my new (2 months old) Kohler vanity top + sink (one piece, all ceramic). The contractor suggest I reglaze the top and sink - will this last?

I've done some reading around the internet, and many places mention that glazing does not last forever, and will need to be done every few years. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for your help / suggestions.

Comments (17)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Why should you be required to subordinate a factory warranty, because of their carelessness?

Have them replace it.

• User
    9 years ago

Contractor broke it----contractor replace it.

• insteng
    9 years ago

I would make the contractor replace it.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

This is bs. You would do that as a bandaid for an old fixture to extend its life. This is only a quick vehicle for his getaway in your case.

Unfortunately, he screwed up. He could have protected himself with some due diligence up front by protecting your property but chose not to. You should not have to pay the consequences of his wrecklessness.

New sink. Stop any further negotiations. New sink. Then enjoy your new bathroom/sink you worked so hard for.

• Fori
    9 years ago

That stinks!

To do a decent job (if it's even possible where you live) you'd have to have the thing removed and taken to a shop. I can't imagine that being cheaper than a new one, and it isn't likely to look better. The methods that do it in place will not look better than having a scuffed top.

I agree that this is something the contractor should fix, but I understand that sometimes it's easier to just get it done yourself. (At least leave a nasty Yelp review though!)

By the way, how do you like that top? I'm thinking of getting one. I guess it's durable enough in normal circumstances...

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I told the contractor glazing wouldn't work, and I'm pushing for a replacement.

@fori - it's a BEAUTIFUL sink! Looks very slick, and super easy to clean. I highly recommend it. We used it for 2 months (before the accidents), and it still looked brand new - even with 2 kids using it every day.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Good luck getting a replacement!

• GregNow
    9 years ago

If a contractor messed up then he should be replacing it with a new one. Glazing never looks good and will eventually come apart. You should definitely push for a replacement. worst case scenario : he doesn't want to then you sue. bad PR for a contractor.

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm afraid I may need to go to Small Claims court for this.

Does anyone know if there a time limit on how far back I can go to bring something to Small Claims Court? The accident happened near the end of Oct this year, and with THanksgiving and Xmas right around the corner, I really don't want to deal with this right now.

Can I still bring this to Small Claims court in Jan 2015? Or does my "right" to do so expire after a certain period?

Thanks for all the advice so far, and Happy Holidays!!!

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

That can easily be answered with a phone call to your local courthouse; small claims division.
    Also, you can find out when they are scheduling to. Usually, they will be somewhat booked up too.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If there is a state and/or city, contractor lic. agency, contact them for the process to file a complaint against his lic.

Your city.gov should lead you to the time constraints for filling a small claims action.

Be very careful in your inquires, to not expose yourself to accusations of slander.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Unless your time has no value, small claims court is a huge waste of time. So you win a judgement. Big deal. Now you've got to collect on it. Good luck.

Your best shot is pressure through a licensing agency or through the internet. You have got to make yourself more painful than the cost of replacement.

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice so far - I understand this is not the most optimal way to get this resolved, but at this point, I'm still weighting all my options and trying to understand each one of them.

Now, in regards to how to collect the judgement - the contractor actually is licensed and has a company established, so can I put a lien against his company (if I win), since the company would have income?

In addition, I also got our management company involved (made aware of the situation) since the contractor came through the management co. However, I feel they have been stalling me ("we're still negotiating with the contractor on this" - for over 2 weeks now!!!) - so my question is, what role should the management company really play in this situation?

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And thanks @Trebruchet about the licensing agencies and being more painful - I'll look into who/where this is for NJ (where I reside).

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"Now, in regards to how to collect the judgement - the contractor actually is licensed and has a company established, so can I put a lien against his company (if I win), since the company would have income?"

"If there is a state and/or city, contractor lic. agency, contact them for the process to file a complaint against his lic."

"I also got our management company involved (made aware of the situation) since the contractor came through the management co."

Your statement implies that the "management co." was acting in an agency agreement, with the contractor. Which is in all probability, is not the case.

While the "management co.", upon your request, may have, furnished you the name of the contractor, as someone who has done work in the community for other residents, It was just that, a referral, nothing more.

However, through your action, they will also, no longer refer the contractor.

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@snoonyb - thanks for your post - that's what I thought too. But since this is my first time going through an ordeal like this, just want to confirm it.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

The more constructive approach with management would be to alert them to an unresolved dispute, rather than attempt to involve them.
    Which may result in them "covertly" making some phone calls.