Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to remove/replace Kohler toilet seat bolts w/ anchor

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 11:34

I'm having trouble removing a seat screws on a Kohler one-piece toilet. Anybody know how to hold the anchor so it doesn't spin while unscrewing the thing? From my online reading, Kohler sells an outageously expensive kit to remove these, which apparently only sometimes works. So....if I drill and/or cut the screw head off, will there be room for a new anchor if some of the old parts are now stuck in the recess? Anybody familiar with this poorly-engineered piece of Kohler junk? They really tick me off with some of their stuff. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to remove/replace Kohler toilet seat bolts w/ anchor

Oo oh. Someone else reports the same problem:

" KOHLER K-3386-0 Rialto One-Piece Round-Front Toilet, White (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is the worst toilet imaginable. First, the reviewers above are right: this thing plugs up all the time and has to be plunged. Not good, but I can live with that. The real kicker is when (not if) the toilet seat needs to be replaced. This is usually a 5-10 minute job on most toilets. On this thing, it's a two-day project and will cost just under $100. You read that right! The nuts (threaded inserts, actually) are completely enclosed and inaccessible. The only way to get them out is to get a special hacksaw that can fit under the screw heads and saw them off (you DO have one of those special hacksaw's, right? Nope? There's another $15.) Then you have to order special proprietary inserts from Kohler (they don't come with the toilet seat). It's part #84999. Two crummy little bolt inserts with some other junk you don't need. Price? FORTY-SEVEN DOLLARS!!! Yep, you cannot put that new toilet seat on without the $47 (plus S&H) kit from Kohler (plus the cost of the seat) -- oh, and wait a few days for delivery. Some folks have yelled enough at the service rep and got Kohler to send them a kit for free. Good luck with that. For me, I will never buy Kohler again. Any company that continues to sell such unbelievable junk doesn't deserve your money. If you still want this toilet, just remember: you've been warned!'

-from Amazon.com under Kohler toilet seat

o

What did you end up doing homebound? Hope you found a solution to this Kohler vexation.

o

It's not yet resolved due to the holiday. I am likely going to jam a scraper tool in there to try to hold the anchor in place while I unscrew the bolt. If that doesn't work, I'll proceed to cutting off (or drill) the screw head with a metal blade. Then I'll figure out the anchor part afterward.

The same house has another problem toilet: a one-piece American Standard champion, but apparently an older model with an older flush valve. New flush valve parts are going to run me around $125 with shipping, which includes an adaptor to upgrade to the newer style flush valve. Insane.

o

Yea, that's a pity. I just changed out an AS toilet seat and can't believe what you have to do with that Kohler seat. Thanks for the heads up about the AS Champion. I know I'm going to be replacing a toilet soon if the eroded interior enamel bowl finish poses a general water leak problem and I'll be sure to read up on fix it problems ahead of time.

Hope you had a good break from work and enjoyed yourself.

o

I had the exact problem ! I used PB blaster & soak the bolts for two days, then finally I cut the caps off & pry screw + anchor out. Finally, I replaced new ones with normal #10 drywall screws + plastic anchors. Cost me 80 cents & 2 hours. Details instructions + pics here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructables toilet seat

o

Whenever you run across a replacement OEM auto or other kind of part with an outrageously expensive price tag on it, that is often a tip off that the trade has found a workaround and the item has almost zero demand. Always try to follow up or figure out such clues.

o

Thanks for the information ... :)

o

With the plastic anchors, using stainless steel screws will make the next replacement even easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here