Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between door and frame

Posted by thomas1975 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 11:28

Sorry, wasn't sure what category to post this in.

I recently had new exterior doors (Jeldwen from HD) installed. They were inexpensive (as opposed to a fancy front door) as one just goes into the garage and one goes out the back near the laundry room.

My problem is that I feel the gap between the door and the frame is way too large. There doesn't appear to be a draft or anything like that, but I can only imagine that one might develop over time.

This is what my door looks like: http://i.imgur.com/RbLyr.jpg

This is what a neighbor's door looks like: http://i.imgur.com/Li4eg.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between door and frame

Your door was installed poorly.

Unless the gaps at the top and bottom of the latch side(the side you showed in the pictures) is the same width. If that is true, the door frame was built improperly.

The good news is if the top/bottom gaps are more narrow, the illustrated gaps can be fixed. The trim has to be removed and the frame shimmed to close the gap.

The bad news is that if the gap is the same top to bottom, that door needs to be replaced.

o

The gaps are not nearly as bad around the rest of the door.

However, and not sure if this makes a difference or not, this was a door/frame 'combo' in that the door came with the frame (it's not that a new door was installed into an existing frame).

o

Actually, just reread your post. The entire gap on the latch side is the same. The top, bottom and other side of door isn't as bad. But the entire latch side is as wide as in the picture...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here