Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betty_joanne

damp/ruined dry wall in window corners

betty_joanne
9 years ago

I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing the drywall. Home exterior is hardy-plank siding. Double pane windows. home built 2005. One story home. Houston, tx area. Damage done by winter condensation build up on left and right inside flashing of bottom windows(and dripping down to window sill) to the best of my knowledge. drywall is damp to touch on one corner and other corner feels dry. Damage is on drywall in the bottom left and right corners of window.
In these pictures I did remove caulking seal on window to drywall and window to window sill.
All seven windows in home have same issue to some degree.
I need help with a plan of attack for this.

This post was edited by betty_joanne on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 10:31

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You need to be certain where the water is coming from and address that issue otherwise your drywall will be shot again in short order. Take some pics standing back a few feet as well as from the exterior as you very well may have other issues (water infiltration)

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

metal framed windows?

• betty_joanne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://s808.photobucket.com/user/bettyjoanne1/slideshow/windows
    one pic is sideways. All the windows in the house have the same issue. Condensation shows up on 30--50 degree mornings and is not on the windows itself but on the white metal sides left and right. Condensation will form a puddle of water on the window sill. Once wiped condensation will not form again until next 30-50 degree morning.

• jonnyp
    9 years ago

From your pictures,looks like the exterior trim is installed improperly. It appears the the trim was installed over the siding as compared to the trim being attached to the sheathing and the siding butting up to the trim (siding is also attached to sheathing). This will allow a great deal of air infiltration causing your condensate issues in colder periods.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

metal windows condensate.
    simple thermodynamics.
    heat goes to cold.

in the winter they condensate to the
    warm side...inside the house.
    in the summer they condensate to
    the outside. less noticable as it
    dries quickly...because it is outside.

you can try adding a stand alone
    dehumidifier to lower RH (relative humidity)
    inside the house.
    but to some degree the windows will
    still condensate.

RH is low in the winter already.

metal is a poor choice for windows because
    the metal is very conductive,
    when it is cold outside the cold
    transfers through the frame...proving
    that "thermal break" is next to worthless
    with metal windows.

the exception is metal clad wood
    windows simply because wood is
    not condctive.

I know of people in very high end homes
    that live with towels on the window sills
    during the winter. and they change the towels
    daily.

wish I had a solution for you, but its just
    the wrong window frame.

best of luck.

• betty_joanne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would filling, priming and painting work to repair? I am trying to avoid having to pull out and then put in new drywall because of the bullnose corners. Replacing to non-metal windows is not an option for another 2.5 years.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The first order of business is making sure the "condensate" is in fact condensate and not windows leaking from the exterior.

If it is condensation, a water resistant covering such as white Corian should be detailed as a replacement for the drywall.

• randy427
    9 years ago

From the amateur appearance of the exterior window trim installation, I question whether the installers knew/did anything about waterproofing.
    JMHO

• millworkman
    9 years ago

That is what I was trying to get at Randy and why I asked the op for better pictures. Repairing the drywall without addressing the problem is just going to lead to doing the same thing in 6 months and possible much more and worse damage if there is a water infiltration issue.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

op clearly states damage is from condensation of all windows.
    granted the windows may be flashed incorrectly..all of them,
    but if op sees the condensation..then it is pretty clear.

• brookexzcason
    9 years ago

To prevent mold or damage to the interior or dry wall of your home, a good place to start is the proper installation of windows. When a window isn't installed correctly the frame can be misaligned which causes gaps allowing moisture to seep inside your home. Do you still have the same windows in your home? Window