Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daburke

Pex piping

daburke
10 years ago

My plumber wants to connect my new sink with the new Pex (?sp) plastic tubing. My current house built in 1968 has all copper pipe's. The small cost isn't a concern. My question is, other that time saving on his part, what benefit is it to me?
Any assistance is appreciated.

Comments (6)

• handymac
    10 years ago

As long as you do not need to be able to make DIY repairs, there will be little difference.

And even if you should attempt DIY repairs, all you will need to do is learn the basics and buy new tools.

I did minor plumbing for several years as part of my remodeling business---and mainly used copper pipe and solder. Had experience with various plastic piping---all bad. Up until Pex came along.

When a plumber friend showed me how to do the work---and how easy and successful the stuff is to use, I was slowly convinced.

My house also has copper---even the waste piping, so since I have no need for the new tools, I will stay with copper here, but would use Pex if I were to do a refit.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

x2 on the pex.
    great stuff to work with although
    it does require fittings & tools specific to
    pex.

will be using pex this spring in my
    personal home for bathroom remodel
    & kitchen sink hook ups. may get brave
    & re-pipe all of the house!

best of luck

• HansZarkov
    10 years ago

There are different types of PEX. The only PEX to use is Uponor PEX. I think some Home Depots may now carry the Uponor, but never use the other PEX products; otherwise you can get it off the internet. The Uponor PEX has been in use for 40 years in Europe and was invented by a German; it was fought by the unions in the U.S. because the labor and skill level is nothing compared to what is needed for copper. Milwaukee makes a special 12 volt tool to make the connections which can only be made by a special tool. A hand operated tool is also available. It is the only general plumbing method I use as a contractor. We never use copper for a whole house new construction or remodel but it easily mixes with copper. If you are really mechanically inclined look at the Milwaukee YouTube video and give it a try. Otherwise hire a professional and watch how easy it is to install. I have no connection to Uponor or Milwaukee (but I have $$$$$$$ of Milwaukee tools) and I think the Uponor/Milwaukee YouTube videos will speak for themselves.

• dkenny
    10 years ago

what are you changing?
    the connection from the cutoff to the sink?
    yes..pex..no!! flex stainless..screw on fittings..$5 or so at Lowes

new tools??

sharkbit fittings changes all that..can press 2 fitting together??
    if you have to press the rings for PEX yes on new tools..$30 for a home owner?

but what fittings are you changing?
    from the wall to the sink? the sink risers?? forget PEX..flex hose with screw on fittings.

Hans..you kidding right??sharkbit type fittings..side step type different pipe types.
    yes copper/pex/cpvc/pvc/polyvinyl...yep just about all..
    without special tools..

-dkenny
    ok..I only be doing this type for repair since 2003..
    so I might not be an 'expert' but are 'experts' always right?

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

No doubt the Uponor system is quite good. I have one of the big crimpers for the regular outer rings. Requires lots of room for the handles when they are fully opened. Now I use the Oetiker rings and a simple tool to crimp them. Use the specific PEX size ( the rings come in hundreds of sizes) and the proper tool, crimp them completely and there is nothing that holds better. Be sure to crimp them until the edges of the ear touch each other with no possible travel remaining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oetiker

This post was edited by bus_driver on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 7:24

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Most of the benefit in PEX is in new construction and balanced applications.

If you are just doing hook up, why does he want to move from the copper?

PEX is great stuff, just not it provides any benefit here.