Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for sealing down flap on porch rubber roof?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 9:53

Hi,

Our first floor porch has a "single-ply rubber roofing" (identified in our house inspection). We are first-time homeowners and newbies, so I don't know much more about the material than that. :-)

I was in the second-floor room above the porch one windy day, and noticed that there is an edge of a rubber piece of the roof flapping up and down in the wind. It's not the roof edge itself, but it looks like where one piece was laid down overlapping another, and it is part of that overlap that is flapping.

We think that we should seal it down somehow. What should we use to do that? Should we call in an expert or is this something we can address ourselves?

And if our thinking is wrong, I'll take your good advice on what we should best be doing!

Thanks in advance,
Lee Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for sealing down flap on porch rubber roof?

You can google EPDM adhesive but a gallon will probably cost $40 or more delivered and it is no fun to apply. I would hire a roofer because when they get up on a roof they notice things you might have overlooked. Roofers are cheap insurance.

o

Try 'flat roof solutions.'

EPDM joints are made with seam tape (uncured EPDM that comes in a roll and sticks by itself).

You will need toluene to clean the surface before using the
seam tape.

Other solvents can damage the EPDM, but toluene is available in quart cans at a paint store.

Be careful with the seam tape. It sticks to everything, including the tool you are goping to use to cut a piece off the roll.

o

Hi, thanks so much for giving me the right verbiage to look up info about this!

brickeyee, thanks for those details about the toluene and seam tape. I think it is out of our range of diy'ing, and they'll help me convince my spouse that we should go with mightyanvil's advice and hire a roofer. :-)

Thanks again!

o

Good luck finding anyone to make an EPDM repair.

Firestone is the largest maker and they have zero interest in the residential market.

If you can safely access the roof and the repair spot it is not a very hard job.

Wipe down both sides that need to be joined with toluene, apply seam tape to one side, smooth with firm pressure on the other side (or a j-roller for laminate) and it is done.

o

Hi brickeyee, thanks for that indication that it's not a very hard job to seal it down. I will run it by the spouse, as he's likely the one who'll have to figure out how to best safely access that part of the roof to do the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here