Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

weatherstripping on double wood entry doors

tracey_b
10 years ago

My house is 3 yrs old. We have lovely double mahogany entry doors which have never provided a good seal where they meet. In the winter, we usually use a side door so I can keep multi-folded paper towels in the crack to keep the cold air out. We tried adding the weatherstripping that you buy at Lowes, but it looked bad and had to be removed after the first season and left ugly stickiness behind.

Surely there has to be a better weatherstripping? I think the biggest "problem" (for me) is that it's a double door, or maybe I'm over thinking things?

Any ideas for a solution?
Thank you!
Tracey

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

A picture may help. Generally there should be an Astragal between the doors but from here we can't tell without a picture.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll post a picture soon. There IS weatherstripping, but it's simply not adequate. It seems to me the doors should meet much closer together. Someone pushed a thick envelop into the gap, and it came all the way through into the house--I think it should fit tighter than than. Also, there is a gap at the top and bottom where you can actually see daylight.

Thanks!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Please include a picture of the lock, from the edge, because what you are describing, as not completely closing, may be an adjustment or a matter of not being closed completely, allowing the bolt to fully engage.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

On a lot of newer double door units, the hinges are adjustable; perhaps the doors can be brought closer together through such adjustments. Otherwise, you will need to manually adjust the margins by shimming the hinges. Such large gaps are not bridge-able with weatherstripping.
    Pieces of self-adhesive v-shaped spring bronze weatherstripping may be just the thing, since they can be opened to span a good sized gap; but if an envelope will fit, that's pretty bad.
    Casey

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really want to post the pics I took of the doors to see if anyone can help, but for the life of me, I cannot get my Mac to copy the code from Photobucket onto this website. I never had a problem before on PCs (I'm a recent convert to Mac, and this is my first need to post a pic from it).

In studying my doors / weatherstripping. It appears that if the weatherstripping were "thicker", I wouldn't be having a problem. I think what's on the door is probably what came with it, though....and they weren't cheap doors (Mahogany solid wood, double doors-- 5' x 8').

I'll keep trying, but meanwhile, thanks.

• tena_re
    9 years ago

We are fixing to move into our new home and noticed these gaps in our front entry double doors and rear entry double doors, (top and bottom) Surely these gaps aren't supposed to be here. How can we fix this.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Missing what they call "Schlegel Pads"

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlegel Pads

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars113 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz