Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closet Door w/Mirror Too Heavy for Hinges

Posted by juliet3 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 9:44

I had a full-length mirror installed on my bedroom closet door, on the inside. I.e. when the closet door is closed, you can't see the mirror. However, it seems like the mirror is too heavy for the door hinges. Two symptoms: (1) when I open the closet door it swings all the way open on its own as wide as it can go. (2) every few months, I have to tighten the screws on the hinges as they are pulling away from the jamb just slightly (not really visibly, but I am aware of it so I give a couple of turns to the screws every so often). I am worried I am going to strip the holes for the screws until eventually I won't be able to tighten them. BTW, there are three hinges, near the top of the door, the middle and near the bottom. What do I do? I cannot move the mirror elsewhere, and I really need a full-length mirror. Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I was thinking of installing "Doorsaver" doorstops (link below) which would prevent the closet door from swinging so wide. One at the top hinge and one at the bottom hinge. Would this be helpful, or not make a difference?

Here is a link that might be useful: Doorsaver Door Stop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closet Door w/Mirror Too Heavy for Hinges

Buy several 3" long screws(number 8 size).

unscrew one screw in the top hinge on the frame side. Install the 3" screw. Then replace a second screw in that hinge.

Replace a couple in each hinge, that shoule take care of the problem with the loose screws.

For the swinging problem, remove the pin from the center hinge. If you have a concrete step, lay the pin at an angle against the step and hit it with a hammer hard enough to slightly bend the pin. Do not bend it too much, because you will need to reinstall it in the hinge.

For your situation, you may need to bend two or even three pins.

o
RE: Closet Door w/Mirror Too Heavy for Hinges

handymac gave you perfect advice, and it's hard to improve on it. The only thing I will add is that you may need to put in a pilot hole for the 3" screws. I, too, suspect that you have short screws and they are close to stripping out. However, you may have trouble driving 3" screws all the way in unless you have a pilot hole. Just don't make it too big in diameter: the diameter of the drill bit should be the same size as the center shank of the screw (i.e., the part you see when you hold the screw up to the light and ignore the threads). You can pick the right bit by holding bits up against the screw, and choosing the one that best matches that shank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here