Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agrandma

How to properly plug a hole - exterior garage wall

agrandma
12 years ago

I have a wooden garage wall with a round hole drilled through it 1 1/4" wide. I found a plastic plug that fits into the hole very tight and perfect size, but I don't know if that is a good fix for it or not. It doesn't let any light or air through and it looks ok from the outside. If that isn't acceptable, what should I plug the hole with? Thanks! (This is being done after a city inspection had me remove a light that was considered a fire hazard. They will be back out for a 2nd inspection, so it has to pass their inspection, and I don't know what is good enough for them.)

Comments (5)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

"and I don't know what is good enough for them".

Ask them before your 2nd inspection. That's what they are there for and the requirements as simple as plugging a hole could vary. You need to find out from them what they are looking for. Explain the current plug you are using, it might be fine. Typically it needs to be plugged as a fire code reason for whatever that's worth. Not communicating with your building dept., especially when it comes to inspections, is the main reason projects get delayed by failed inspections. Always ask them when you have questions, they are not the bad guys and is part of what they get paid for. Sometimes you just have to get past there "holier than thou" attitude but in the grand scheme of things, they are "public servants". They dont like hearing that though!

• agrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that advice. I am actually working with them but when I email them it takes them a few days to reply. I'd rather get it "right" now while we have dry weather rather than wait until they email me when it's pouring rain for me to fix the problem outside. I just assumed there might be a standard in the home repair trade for repairing something like this. I'll wait and see what they say. Thanks again.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

A hole saw will cut a disk of wood and Minwax High Performance Wood Filler can be used to 'glue' it in place and fill the edges and the center hole from the drill bit.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Buy why bother with making a wood disk if the plastic plug works? Glue that thing in there and call it a day.

• sdello
    12 years ago

It depends on whether the objective is to just fill the hole or if the objective is to repair the hole and finish it properly so it's not an eyesore.

The plastic plug might plug it just fine, but Brickeyee's repair puts back wood that can be finished to match the surrounding.

If the plastic will take paint ok, then it might be possible to finish that too.