Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door threshold metal gap thingy

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 9:21

MY front door threshold is metal and has a kind of lip/groove that locks into a corresponding metal tongue that is on the bottom of the door. The piece on the door has gotten a bit bent and after I 'fixed' it, is all mangled. What is a real fix for this? I went to big box to get another piece for the door but they dont have it. I am not opposed to removing the piece on the door but what to replace it with? This door is about 20 years old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door threshold metal gap thingy

If you can post a pic, it would help. H.D., other big box, as well as other hardware stores typically stick with one or two mfgr's on thresholds, door bottoms, weather strippings, etc. When I run across a situation such as yours where the big box/ hardware outfits dont carry it, you can check with the special orders desk or go online and search under something to the tune of, "entry door threshold" or "entry door bottoms". I've had good luck online looking for "not so typical" thresholds/door bottoms in the past. Another avenue would be to take the door bottom to door/window outfits in your area and see if they recognize the mfgr. and go from there.

o

Sounds like you have an "interlocking" or "hook strip" threshold. Several companies make them but they are a little hard to find. You may need to go to a commercial hardware distributor. A PDF download link is below. Compare your actual with the pictures to get started (Cat pages 130 & 131).

Here is a link that might be useful: Interlocking Threshold

o

You probably have to get a new J-hook strip from Pemko.
I just installed two of these bronze thresholds on an old house. Be glad you don't have to buy the threshold itself, lotsa $.
http://www.pemko.com/assets/products/400/61_400pix.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: J-hook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here