Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howard_1

Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Howard_1
18 years ago

My Craftsman garage door opener won't close automatically. If you press the button the lights flash and then the door reopens. If you hold the button (not on the remote) continuously it will close - any ideas???

Is there anywhere that I can get a copy of the owners manual online??

Thanx

Howard

Comments (120)

• siggy0413
    15 years ago

I did notice (with the help of my daughter) a small unit on the bottom of the door, would that be the sensor? If that indeed is it, what does it need to be aligned with? As you can see, I've no clue to these mechanisms...thank you in advance for any help.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

There is one of those sensors on each side of your garage door. They should be pointed at one another. If they are pointed correctly there is a small light on each one that should be lit.

• siggy0413
    15 years ago

If I can only see one, would this cause the door to just open and not close and the light to flicker?

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Yes if there is only one sensor it would be the cause of your problem but your door would never have worked that way. What could have happened to the other sensor?

• victormg
    15 years ago

Hi,

I have a Chamberlain GDO and itÂs not working properly. When I press the button to open it, it keeps opening and doesn't stop after a minute or so. It also broke the cable. I had a friend that knows a thing or two about GDO's but could not find the problem. I'm guessing the electronic board is faulty. I made some checks to see if anything is visibly damaged and found nothing. The only thing I noticed is each time I pressed the door opener it made a click sound in the board area without any respond. The motor turns in only one direction.

My question is, if the board is faulty, how much it costs or I just buy a new one? Any idea of what could be the problem? Everything else looks perfect, just a rust here and there.
    (PS. I found really funny previous posts between a "mike" and "gdo" arguments.)

• don64
    15 years ago

When I press the remote or the keypad, the door only opens about 5 inches, then goes back down and then rises back to the same level. If I place my hand by the sensors when it is going up, it might rise an additional 10 inches and then stop. If I push on the door from below while it is going up, I can get it to go all the way up as long as I continue to push. Of course, I don't want to continue doing this. Any suggestions as to what is wrong and how it can be repaired? Thanks.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Take a look at your door springs. Sounds like one may be broken. The door sensors aren't involved when the door is opening. Only while closing. You may also want to take the cover off the motor unit and look at the drive gear. It is white nylon and it will be obvious if it is bad.

• gred
    15 years ago

I have a Craftsman door opener model #139.18058. It was manufactured in 2002. It has worked great until a week ago. Now when I hit the button on my remote, the light on the opener will light up but the door will not move. Sometimes the door opens perfectly but will not close. Sometimes it will stop halfway open or halfway closed. (when it does this, it just stops it does not reverse) Other times it works perfectly. When it does not work with the remote, I have to operate the door from the hardwired switch. I have tried to set the up and down force switches but it makes no difference. The springs and all the door guides are OK and the door is not binding.
    Is it possible that I have a bad board? If so, is it more cost effective to replace the opener or just the board?

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Sounds like a bad drive gear. Take off the cover and check to see if it is stripped. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor.

• gred
    15 years ago

The drive gear is fine. The motor does not run at all when it does this.

• jayy2009
    15 years ago

I currently own a 12year old house with a 1/2hp craftman garage door opener installed when built. A week ago the garage door opener stopped working. Not with the remote or wall unit. It just makes a clicking noise, same noise as if I was trying to turn on the light. The sensor lights are on as well as a blinking green light on the opener unit itself. Is this a problem that can be repaired or do I need to replace.

• broz55
    15 years ago

i have a craftsman Model# 53918 garage door opener purchased in feb 2009 and installed by sears. this past week the wall pad stopped working. it is still illuminated with the time. the wire is still connected to the opener and its not broken along the way. the remotes still work as does the keypad. can i replace the wall switch and if i can buy a replacement - how do you take that one off? ive tried to pop it off but it doesnt come off? any suggestios in repair or removal? thanks.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

If your date is correct feb 2009 then your unit is still in warranty. Call Sears service.

• gtuck22_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Im having the same problem as jayy2009. I shut my garage door opener w/ remote when I left the house and I stopped dead in its tracks about 3/4 the way down and have got nothing sense. The only thing I get when i push the button on the wall is several clicks and the led on the back of the opener flashes 5 times. The light bulb on the front does not work anymore either. This is a craftsman 1/2 hp. Any ideas. How would I know if its the motor or when to just go ahead and replace it???? Thanks in advance

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

It sounds like it is jammed. Release the door from the opener and try it manually. The led flashing 5 times is the code for RPM sensor or motor overload. The RPM sensor will not stop it from running.

• gtuck22_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Don- Could this be an electical issue since the light isn't coming on? Or would the flashing LED not work if that was the case?

• sdello
    14 years ago

GregTT: As Don recommended, have you disconnected the opener from the door and confirmed that the door opens and closes easily by hand?

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

An electrical issue covers a lot of ground. The flashing LED shows there is power getting to the unit.

• greg2009
    14 years ago

I have a craftsman GDO model 139.18458 - about 4 years old. Worked great for 3 years. Now both remotes will work if they are 3 inches away from the antenna, but not from farther distances (most of the time, although last Saskatchewan winter it worked fine). This spring it started doing the same thing. I've replaced batteries, re-programmed, shut circuits off within house, etc. I expect it may be some type of intermittent interference within the city block. Is there a fix for this?

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

If it is interference it will show on the back of the motor unit just above the smart/learn button. If that LED is flashing constantly you have interference. If it is just random flashing it is normal and you have a bad logic board.

• kmgsage
    14 years ago

Chris 1130 WHERE ARE YOU? I need help with my 139.53975SRT1. I tried to program two cars and it wouldn't program; it merely made the existing remote transmitters NONFUNCTIONAL! I finally got one transmitter to work, but when I programmed the other, transmitter 1 STOPPED WORKING. Everytime I successfully program one transmitter, the other one STOPS WORKING! How do I get two transmitters to work at the same time?

• gsped
    14 years ago

Good day,
    I currently have a Moore O Matic 700-S, 1/3 HP (chain drive)garage door opener. I'd like to purchase the Craftsman 53918, 1/2 HP (belt drive)to replace the Moore O matic. My question, is there any additional parts needed that's not included in the Craftsman box to do swap, or can the Moore O Matic grid be used?

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

Everything you need to install the new opener will be in the box. I wouldn't use any old parts at all.

• mlaw_comcast_net
    14 years ago

kmgsage and I seem to have similar problem.

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO (Model #13953675SRT2). I have two Craftsman 3 button remotes. I have slavishly followed the directions in the user's manual and can easily program 1 opener with all funcionality (open, light control). The opener will not accept programming to allow the second remote to open the door. If I clear all programming (as outlined in the user's manual), the second remote can then be setup to open the door, control the light, etc. At this point however, the first remote - that did work - cannot now be added as a controller. It doesn't appear to be a battery issue since both remotes can be added - just not at the same time. I have had this GDO since we built the house - 10 years ago. All remotes worked originally.

Is this a reciever/logic board issue?

Does anyone have any ideas?

• GDS_
    14 years ago

This is not a logic board problem.

One of your remotes has gone bad.

You have the red, learn button, which means you have the rolling code technology. That means that every time the remote sends a signal to the motor unit, it sends a different signal. That way, the bad guys can't use a code grabber scanner to find out what your particular code is.

One of those two remotes has stopped transmitting in the rolling code and has reverted back to the old "Billion" code.
    The logic board in the motor unit will accept, or work on either "rolling code" or "billion code", BUT NOT BOTH.
    It works on which-ever you program in first.

Go buy yourself a new remote that says "security Plus" on it.
    Hold the red button on the back of the motor unit for 10 seconds which will wipe out everything that is programed in there. Let it go.
    Now, push and release the red button (don't hold it, push and release like you would dial a telephone) and then press and hold the big button on the new remote.
    Now try the new remote and make sure it moves the door.
    Now, pick up one of the old remotes and try programming it the same way. If it works, great, if it doesn't, then that's the bad one.
    The other remote should program just fine.
    Let us know how you made out.

• a777pilot_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

We had a lighting strike and now the Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO will not work. It will shut but only if I hold, till the door is completely closed, the manual button.

Question: Neither of the safety sensor lights (green or amber) are on. Should they be? Are they normally on all the time? If they are not no, is there a fix I could try?

Thanks.

• harry90
    13 years ago

Overhead garage door repairs and installations in all of San Diego area, California. We can fix them all, we have all the parts you may need. Wood, fiberglass, steel, full-view, or any type of doors.
    With many years of experience, A Reliable Garage has been independently owned and operated by Justin Cox of San Diego, California.

Whether you need to make an everyday household repair or want to make a major garage door improvement and /or replacement, choose A Reliable Garage.

We take pride in helping homeowners solve problems big and small, whether it's a general maintenance or constructing an entire new project we can do it.
    Please visit the website below for more information.

http://www.garagedoorinstallationsandiego.com/

Thank you,

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Door

• djpetre_att_net
    13 years ago

My Sears GDO is giving me fits. I replaced the drive gears and not it will only move about 1 foot, then it stops and reverses. The lights don't blink so the sensors are in alignment. I took the chain off the top of the motor, still get the same thing. It runs 2 seconds, reverses for two seconds and stops. I've tried adjusting the stops but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What am I missing??? I'm sure it's something simple, but it's got me baffled.

• robert_sagrati_peelsb_com
    13 years ago

I just replaced my old remote with a new one for my craftsman 315 gdo.After programming the remote it worked right away then it wouldn't, sometimes it works and other times it dosen't until I reprogram it again. Any ideas, I hope it's not the logic board.

• JMKCSMEANEY_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp. I installed it in June and it has been working fine. Suddenly when the button is pressed, the motor runs for about 20 seconds but nothing moves. It then pauses for a 1/4 second and sounds as if it is reversing. This continues for about 20 seconds and then it stops. I've taken it down, checked connections and tried readjusting the chain, no luck. Any thoughts?

• amuller_dca_net
    13 years ago

Mu unit is a 139.53628SRT

It looks fine mechanically but I don't know if the logic board is good and I don't have the sensors. is there a way to get it to operate without the sensors, just to test it?

I do have a set of Stanley sensors. Will they work with it?

Thanks.

Alan

• tmack
    13 years ago

I have a craftsman 139.53673SRT1. When I press either the transmitter button or the wall button the motor just makes a clicking sound. The motor will not run at all. I have unplugged the unit and tried resetting it, but nothing seems to work. Is this unit fried or is there something I'm missing?

• bjhoward2000_aol_com
    12 years ago

I just installed 315MHz GDO and one of the sensors is steady green and the other flashes red. Ichecked the alignment by holding them 2 feet apart and they still do the same thing. What can I do to correct this problem. The door will not go down.

• kingsportkeller
    12 years ago

One of my neighbors is opening my garage door with his
    garage door opener...we have lived across the street from
    each other for three years...with no problems...he told me
    he has not reprogrammed his remote...has not put in a new
    or more powerful battery....and I have done nothing to my
    garage door operner or remote....we both reprogrammed our
    remotes...worked for about an hour...then his remote started opening my door once again...any ideas to fix this...thanks
    Keller

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

automatic garage door opener. This project covers the basics; the instructions that come with your opener have the specifics. Once it's installed, we help you keep it working smoothly with advice about lubricating and maintaining the opener so it keeps you out of the rain for years to come. You still haven't acknowledged that over 90% of the postings on garage door openers have to do with Craftsman openers that aren't working right! Thanks for sharing..
    Great job. If you've had enough of running from the car in the rain to yank open the garage door, it's time to install an

• rgilbert_mediacombb_net
    12 years ago

I just put new gears in this opener no.139,53966srt now it will only go about foot and then reverse the same amount. I don't think i ghanged of the settings. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

• regray_fairpoint_net
    12 years ago

I have 2 Craftsman garage door openers that both do the same thing. They open fine and close ok but as soon as the door touches the floor they reverse and go back up. The sensors appear to be aligned, both lights are on and not blinking. What is wrong ??

• Kathryn_R
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman 315 1/2 Hspwr garage door opener (13282271) for which I've misplaced owners manual and can't find the manual by Google (I get others, not the 315). The keypad on the outside has quit working. I can only open the door by going into the garage thru the house and pressing the wall unit there. Is there a way to restart the keypad? No lights come on the buttons when I push them. I do not see any buttons on the motor unit for unlocking as other posts mention. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Check the battery.

• TLB1
    12 years ago

Good Evening Group,

I have a Craftsman Garage Door opener and about a week or so ago the hand held remote and my Homelink in both my Acuras no longer close the garage door, they will only open the garage door. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thank you!

• sdello
    12 years ago

when you try to close the door, does the light blink 10 times? If so, the sensors are blocked.

• lynda_engelage_embarqmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman GDO Model 139.53992. The remote stopped working so we replaced the battery. It still doesn't work. The Premium Control Console unit still operates the door. We are currently trying to re-program the remote unit. The manual tells us to hold the button on the remote that operates the door, then hold the light button on the console. The while holding these two buttons press the push bar on the console and the unit lights should blink. When we do this the lights never blink. I know the little light works because when you push the bar button it flashes. Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?

• rob81
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman garage door opener - model 00953918000 (its the 1/2hp battery backup/belt driven model). Recently the remotes have started to work intermittently. The hard wired controller always works, and if I stand with the remote directly under the unit it works - but the remote keypad and remote link only work some times. I believe this means that the system is only occasionally getting the signal. I replaced the batteries on the remotes just to make sure they weren't the weak link. Is there some way to check this? Is there a receiving control board or something that may need to be replaced?

Thanks for any guidance

• rob81
    12 years ago

Slight correction to my original post. The model # is 53918, and is 3/4 not 1/2HP. Obvious I am floundering on this :)?

Thanks again for any guidance.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Limited range of your remote controls could be related to radio frequency interference that comes from something in your home or in the surrounding environment. Certain electrical devices can radiate interference; this could be almost anything that is plugged into an electrical outlet.

Please keep in mind that the device can be brand new, or can be an item that has been in use for quite a while. Also, the item may continue to function properly as far as you are able to tell. The only problem with the item may be that it has started to broadcast the interference, with no other symptoms noted.

Some devices are more likely to generate interference than others. This includes TV cable, cable amplifiers, surge protectors, fluorescent lights, battery charging devices (power tools, golf carts, etc.), anything that utilizes a timer (sprinkler systems, lights, alarm systems, etc.), and a myriad of others. If the problem seems sporadic, we can safely assume that the device responsible for the interference is only being operated during these times. Again, please keep in mind that the age of the device does not determine if it is capable of broadcasting unwanted interference. Any electrical device can be the source of the problem.

To isolate potential sources of interference, turn the circuit breaker off to the garage and plug the garage door opener into an extension cord from another room. If the range improves, then the interference is coming from a device in the garage. If no improvement is seen follow the same procedure, this time turning off the circuit breakers to your home, with the exception of the garage and test the remote controls. If improvement is noted, turn the circuit breakers back on, one by one, until the range problem resurfaces. This will allow you to narrow down what room the problem device is in. You will have to go from there to isolate it further, by unplugging and re-plugging the items in that room.

If you are unable to determine any source of interference, then the receiver logic board in the overhead unit will need to be replaced.

• Tark
    9 years ago

Craftsman Garage Door Opener, Model 139.53513.

In 1989 I installed the above Garage Door Opener. Due to uncleaned track for the garage door attached wheels, due to excessive load on the nylone gear, it got badly damaged and I replaced it. Almost everything works fine except when the garage is opening, the trolley hits the stop nut on the rail rather little bit too hard because the motor does not stop at the stop nut. What is suggestion to remedy it so that the motor stops at the trolley stop nut so that the trolley stops without hiting it hard that shakes the Opener Chassis. Thanks.

• sdello
    9 years ago

Atached is a link where you can download the manual for that model door opener. Go to Page 18 and see how to adjust the travel limits of the trolley.

Here is a link that might be useful: Model 139.53513 owner's manual

• garageservice
    9 years ago

Garage door repair systems will not only ensure daily convenience but also safety is complete. for these type garage door danville maintenance services are required and must be carried out by expert technicians.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage door repair danville

• Anthony Anderson
    8 years ago

I have a craftman 1/2 hp overhead door.it recently started to go right back up when it fully closed.i checked the sensors on the bottom of the doors and they are aligned.i then adjusted the up distance when the door was in the closed position and tried it and it wouldn't go up at all.i pulled the string to separate the door from the opener so I could open the door and now the opener is in the closed position and can't get it back enough to connect back with the door.i also only get a very short buzzing noise only when I push the button. Any suggestions?

• sdello
    8 years ago

Anthony sounds as if your "down" stop either failed or got displaced to where it was letting the door "bang" in the down position enought ot cause it auatomatically retract. Now that you've realesed the door the trolly traveled as far as it could and got jammed. Three options: 1) check the manual and look for the initial setup section and placeemnt ogf the trolley and repeat those steps, 2) Look closely at the mechansim and see if you can figure out what is jammed, or 3) call a garage door company to come out and take a look.