Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Posted by Howard_1 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 8:45

My Craftsman garage door opener won't close automatically. If you press the button the lights flash and then the door reopens. If you hold the button (not on the remote) continuously it will close - any ideas???

Is there anywhere that I can get a copy of the owners manual online??

Thanx
Howard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Your door sensors are probably not aligned properly. Check to make sure the small light on both units is on and not flickering. They get bumped sometimes.

o

Go to sears.com and see if they still sell your opener. Then follow the links to more information, sometimes they include the owner's manual in PDF form.

o

Ever notice how nearly ALL garage door postings are about problems with CRAFTSMAN brand openers? I'm not sure who Sears contracts with to make their door openers, but the myriad of homeowners with problems should be a clue to choosing a name brand next time ... eh?!

o

Mike, for your information Sears is the worlds largest retailer of door openers. Google Craftsman door opener and see where it directs you. Kind of like standing in front of the Chevrolet dealer and commenting on the number of Chevies coming in for service.

o

Okay Don, I Googled it and came up with a ton of businesses that sell parts for the openers. Take another look at the postings for garage door problems. Notice anything peculiar? Gee, where is Genie, Liftmaster, Overhead Garage Doors, etc.?

o

Gee! Chamberlain Mfg. Co. (the worlds largest) makes Liftmaster, Craftsman and many more privately branded models. Genie and Overhead Door are owned by Sanwa Shutter Company and are a distant runner up and always have been. Thanks for the interest.

o

Do you work for Sears ... or is it Liftmaster that pays your bills? You still haven't acknowledged that over 90% of the postings on garage door openers have to do with Craftsman openers that aren't working right!

o

Mike, i am not in the GDO business, but it does seem logical to me that if a company has a LARGE share of the market, you would see more posts concerning that companies product. regardless of what they have, people do not just randomly post that theirs is still working fine, hence more posts concerning craftsman problems.

this problem is most likely a sensor alignment issue, and NOT the fault of the manufacturer. i have knocked my sensors out of alignment by getting the broom hung on one before.

i have 2 craftsman GDOs and just had to replace one of them. the other is likely to go in the next year or so, and i may go on and replace it before it does. since these are 8 years old, and i have no idea how often the previous owner used them, i do not have a problem replacing them.

o

Mike, I am sorry that you have become so offensive. I have nothing to do with either of these companies although I have 35 years experience repairing garage door openers. Your attitude bothers me only because you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

o

I am a garage door technician who occasionally answers posts in this forum when I think I can offer something usefull.
Mike, your totally out of line and grossly mis-informed.
If your going to be confrontational about a subject then make sure that you know what your talking about. In this case, you have just proven you don't.
Liftmaster is a division of Chamberlain, and Chamberlain makes all the units for Sears.

Now, what were you saying?

o

i spent an hour trying to figure this out one time....was a spider web with a leaf stuck to it.

everytime it closed, the leaf swing into the motion sensor, drove me nuts

so stand inside to see if something gets in front of the sensor

o

GDS, I was simply saying that "... over 90% of the postings on garage door openers have to do with Craftsman openers that aren't working right!" It's just a personal observation-- very few posters are lamenting that they have another brand that is malfunctioning. Even if Liftmaster (Chamberlain) manufactures Sears doors, they're manufactured to Sears' specifications. Perhaps that's where the problem lies.

o

Well, not exactly. Sears gets to have their paint and logo on the outside of the motor unit, and the three function wall switch is made for them. The motor, motor carcase, gears, logic board, capacitor, and the entire rail system including chain and trolley, are right off the Chamberlain assembly line. Those parts are the same parts you get if you buy a Chamberlain at Home Depot. The Liftmaster uses the same parts also with the exception of the rail system. Liftmaster still uses the T rail system because we can squeek a GDO into a much smaller headroom situation with it.

S DELLO...... You were able to pull up an old post of mine about why there were so many Sears units posted in this forum, any chance you could find that for me? It would be appreciated.

o

GDS, funny you should ask because I tried searching for that post to post it here before you mentioned it. It appears the forum has been reset and the archive/search only goes back for ~6 months so I think that post may be lost. Too bad because it was well-stated and (as you well know) this "observation" has been made more than once.
I'll leave it to you, to re-create it if you care to.

In case, you don't I'll add:
Mike:
Believe what you want, there is no conspiracy or collution here. Search for GDS or Don on this board and you will see the excellent instruction/advice they consistently provide to the users of this forum, without any compensation, especially in thier area of expertise - overhead garage doors and openers. Trust these men they know what they're talking about.
P.S. I replaced a 20 year old Sears opener with a new Sears unit two and a half years ago. My internet search to troubleshoot the old one is what brought me to this forum to begin with. Great people here so I've been coming back ever sinve. I compared prices and features and IMHO you can't go wrong with a Craftsman especially when Sears has a sale.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp model # 139.5367SRT2. It suddenly will not open or close. My son had recently programed two additional remotes, but I do not see how that could have affected it. The lights on the key pad and the 3 button pad and the sensors all light up and when you push the button on the 3 button pad you can hear a click in the opener unit. The door does not move and the light bulbs do not light up. The remotes do nothing now.

o

Is your door stuck in the open position?

o

I apologize for the wisecrack about Liftmaster paying Don's bills, and am sorry if I offended GDS with my personal observation ... but suggesting that I don't have a clue, and 'don't know what the hell I'm talking about' isn't too professional either!

Regardless of the volume of openers sold under the Sears nameplate, it isn't necessarily an indicator of quality, reliability or value for the dollar spent. That's why publishers such as Consumer Reports test products and make recommendations. It's also why some products cost more than similar products produced for the masses. We each have choices in how we spend our money ... and we usually get what we pay for.

o

I have a Craftsman Model 132A1787-2 which came with the house (i.e. probably 16+ years old). It did not have the door sensors installed when I purchased the house. My question is, can I buy them for this model (there are two unused terminals on the back - black and yellow - which I thought might be for the sensor leads), or do I have to buy a newer model. It works fine otherwise. The folks at Sears have not been helpful.

o

If you really want the sensors, then I would invest in a new opener (regardless if you can adapt them or not). Sensor kit runs ~$40 and the opener is theoretically at the end of its useful life. For ~$150 or less you can get a new opener, two remotes, an outside keypad, and the sensors.

Other option is to run this one until it dies.

FWIW, IF your setup is like my older Sears was, the new opener comes with an adapter to connect the new rail to the older style Craftsman header bracket, so the installation is really just swapping them out.

Good luck

o

Bob, follow sdellos advice and purchase a new opener rather than try to install sensors on yours. The terminals you refer to have nothing to do with sensors. I have a feeling your opener is much older than you think and I would love to see a picture.

o

I have the same unit with model number as zood, however, mine GDO stop working midway as it was opening. I'm thinking maybe its a problem with the Capacitor. Any help or comments will be appreciated.

o

Did it just stop and that is it or does it always stop at the midway point? Check the door balance by rasing it half way up it should sit there and not fall. If it falls you need to have someone adjust your springs if it stays go to the back of the unit and turn the up force up just a tad and see what happens. If it stopped and won't work you need to replace it.

o

I have a model # 41a5473-2c, it says 2/05 on the opener so is it still in warranty? the problem is, I have to stand right underneath it to make it open or close with the remotes, and the keypad don't work either, but the button on the wall works just fine, what's wrong? it used to have nice range now it has none....thanks in advance!

o

I have a new 1/2 hp Sears opener that I installed and works fine - almost. It lurches when beginning to close, straining the rail. I don't think this is a good thing in the long run.

I think there needs to be a spring/shock absorber in the connection between the trolley and the door that takes up the iniial shock of pressure from the trolley. Any suggestions of where I might find such a thing, or any oter ideas?

o

My 10 year old Craftsman opener is operating erratically. The hard wired button still works fine but the hand held remotes and the keypad are not operating properly. I replaced both remotes and the keypad in the past year when this problem first arose and it seemed to solve it. But the problem has now resurfaced and I know that there is no reason to replace the wireless remotes at this point.

Any thoughts? I cannot even find a craftsman customer service site on line.

o

Your GDO might be one of the old units that operated on the 380 MHz frequency. This ia a frrequency that has always been allocated to the U.S military, but was not used previous to 2005. Now they are beginning to use it in some areas, and some people are finding that their GDO remotes either don't work at all or only work over an extremely short range.

Over the past two years, GDO manufacturers have moved their remoted to other frequency bands. They have also made some other changes to make the remotes more resistant to interference. If your situation doesn't improve, it may be time for a new opener. There are modification kits for some brands that will make them operate on a different frequency, but they cost nearly as much as a new unit.

o

If you have a sensor alignment problem (please don't do this if you have little kids or pets that go in and out of the door, this defeats the purpose of the sensors); remove the sensors from the bottom of the door and place them right above the garage door, aim them at each other, check to see if it works and secure them in place. We could not keep ours aligned despite repeated adjustments by the installer, they would work for a week or two then go out of alignment again - we have had it this way for a year with no problem at all.

o

I have1/hp craftsman garage door opner it will not close or open, i think one of the senser is bad,the light shows amber while the other shows green.I went to sears to buy a senser but they dont carry the same senser that i have,i call for repair two weeks ago they wont be able to come out until two weeks from now.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Carlos.

o

The sensors will not cause your opener to quit like you describe. Take off the cover and check the drive gear. It is just in front of the motor.

o

FYI for anyone in this forum....if you need a user manual for a Sears garage door opener: go to Sears.com and search for garage door openers, find yours and under the description there is a link to the owners manual in pdf format. I just found mine as I cannot find the book at home.

Terri

o

Not really a follow up but a new question. My Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO just quit last night. I opened the door just fine but when I try to close it by any means, remote, wired button etc. it just buzzes for about 2 seconds and then goes quiet. Not a loud buzz like an alarm just the motor trying to engage and won't. There is no movement of the chain and no evidence of jamming or activity of any kind, just that darned buzz?

Any ideas?

o

"There is no movement of the chain and no evidence of jamming or activity of any kind, just that darned buzz?"

check closer and see if the trolley isd jammed on a stop bolt on the rail. sometimes the unit will over shoot the up limit and hit the physical stop bolt and lodge itself against it. Any attempt to operate the door causes the unit to try to finish the up cycle (hum) and then overheat, tripping the internal overload protection.

If it's jammed, loosen the chain and free it.

o

I have a 1/2 craftsman and the light on the back blinks 5 times. the door will open partly and them close.
it appears the the sensors are in line. mod. 13953672srt3
ser 47186-01073. it is my future mother in laws..need help.
the door is not sticking and sometimes the motor will
just kick in and not move anything,

thanks Jim

o

Remove the cover and check the drive gear. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. Sounds like it may be stripped.

o

What are the tricks to sensor alignment? Can it be done by eye? Do I need special tolls? Where can I buy new snsors?

o

I have a liftmster opener. The belt fell off the other day beacause the bolt tying it together came out. When I put it back together the unit will run briefly then the light blinks like there is an obstruction. I pulled the belt off the gear all the way so there would be no friction and it still just spins a little and then blinks. If I use the remote opener it just blinks and doesn't spin at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

o

dswanson - it isn't as hard as it may seem. Each sensor has a small light and they both must be on for it to operate properly. Just tweak them until both light are on steady and not blinking. If you can't get both or either light to come on you may have bad sensors.

leon - sounds like you have the same problem. Make sure the sensors are properly aligned.

o

My sensors are working, the lights are on steady. but the opener still just runs then blinks a few times. I noticed a loose white wire in back. Is there a diagram for this opener available.

Thanks for any help!

o

Thankfully, I found this forum. It really helped me understand the problems I am having with my remotes. Thanks also to Don and GDS for sharing their expertise. Here is what I have learned over the past several years that I thought might be helpful. I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO, model 139.53675SRT1. The remotes and the keyless entry use the rolling code (Security+) technology. Rewind to several years ago. We had to change the batteries in one of our remotes. When we changed the battery we noticed that the other remote and the keyless entry stopped working as well. Sound familiar?!? We cleared all the codes by holding down the SRT/Learn button on the unit for six seconds. We then reprogrammed each of the remotes and couldn't figure out why one worked and not the other. We determined which one had failed and we put it away in a desk. This took a lot of trial and error since we were not aware of what was wrong at the time. Somehow we figured out how to reprogram the one good remote and we also got the keyless entry to work again. After reading this forum I now understand that the remote had strangely reverted to an older technology. Fast forward back to today. We had to change the battery in the one good remote. When doing so, the keyless entry stopped working. I reset the codes and reprogrammed the remote but the keyless entry would not reprogram. I cleared the codes again. Then I reprogrammed the keyless entry and it worked. But alas, I could not reprogram the remote. I have been struggling for two days on this until I stumbled upon this forum. After reading that the remotes seem to revert to an older technology, I pulled out the old remote; the first one that went bad. I put in a new battery. Low and behold, I was able to once again program both remotes and get them working fine. However, I could not get the keyless to work. Vice versa, I could get the keyless to work but not the two remotes. Here is what I think happened. The first remote that went bad reverted to the old technology about 4 years ago. The second remote that went bad just this week also reverted to the old technology and that is why I am able to program them both again today. I think I need to go get new remotes and see if they will work with the keyless. I will let you know how it turns out. This has been a problem for us for about 4-5 years. The manufacturer should get this corrected and put out an advisory on its website so we don't have spend days and, yes, years, trying to figure out what happened to our remotes. I empathize with all of you who are having trouble. Thanks for sharing and for reading about my experiences. I just hope my long explanation will help someone.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP screw drive unit. It quit working after thunderstorms rolled through a few days ago. The light of the unit works so I know it's getting power. An amber light above the red reset button on the back of the unit blinks 5 times, pauses for about 3 seconds then blinks 5 times again. It keeps repeating this process. This happened a couple of years ago. The Sears technician came out and fumbled with the unit then for about an hour. He finally got it working but did not know what he did to fix it. What do the 5 blinks mean?

o

I am having the same problem with the light blinking 5 times. anybody know what the deal is?

o

I have an 11 year old Craftsman 1/2 HP, the kind that has clips for the wiring into the back of the sensors. One of those connections to the sensor is very intermittent, and I'd like to bypass the sensors completely. Does anyone know how to do that?

o

Have a problem with my craftsman 1/2 GDO. Opens just fine, but when I close it, it moves a little and then quickly returns to the up position, then the light blinks five times. I can close the garage door by holding down the button. Not the remote. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
J

o

There is a problem with your door sensors. Most likely they are out of alignment. Make sure they are pointing at one another. Each has a small light that will be lit when they are aligned. Make sure the lights are on solid and not blinking ever so slightly.

o

I have the same problem as Jarrod but my sensors are aligned and not blinking at all. Is ther something else I can check?

o

hauckeye21, I can't find Jarrod. Why don't you start a new post and list your problem. We will then try to help.

o

I can only close the door if I hold the down the button. I have checked the sensors several times. They are aligned and the green lights are solid green. Is there anything else that would cause this problem? (Jerrod posted his problem just before mine.)

o

can only close the door if I hold the down the button. I have checked the sensors several times. They are aligned and the green lights are solid green. Is there anything else that would cause this problem?

Sounds like the problem is possibly up stream. I had a similar problem with my Genie. Even after replacing the control board it didn't work though. End up replacing the entire motor. Thankfully, it was under warranty.

o

It was the sensor alignment! Just a tweek and it took care of the problem.

Two other question, should I grease the track and the spring? If so, what type of lube?

Last one! When I bought the house the old tenant did not leave the remotes for the two garage doors, I bought replacements and they work, but the range is only about 10 feet...any way to increase the range?

Thanks,

Jarrod

o

My garage door goes up just fine! It will not close it blinks 10 times then back up. When this first started I replaced BOTH springs and it worked fine for a month. I have adjusted sensors a ton of times. One sensor has a green light and the other amber? Is that the problem?

o

MY GDO REMOTES HAVE STOPPED WORKING TWICE IN THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAVE A SWITCH THAT RESEMBLES A DOOR BELL WHEN THE REMOTES DONT WORK THE LIGHT ON THE SWITCH KEEPS FLASHING WHATS WRONG ?

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2HP GDO. While closing the GDO, the left sensor light area had a loud noise and believe that the rollers were touching the light bracket and loosened the light housing. I reset the light housing but it created another problem. The GDO goes up but fails to come down and the bulbs on the main motor unit blink several seconds and stop after the door stops mid way on its way does. The door can be closed manually but can not get the GDO to close the door automatically with the switch. I noticed that the sensor light on it is orange while the one on the right side is green. Does this mean something is wrong eg needing any alignment? Or, does the chain need tightening?

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks,

o

I have a craftsman 315 MHz GDO that I thankfully purchased the extended warranty for. I have had EIGHT!! service calls in the last 6 WEEKS and it is still not working correctly. It works quite a bit differently for the other craftsmans and each tech has never seen this model before. They have replaced the logic board twice to no avail. I am very frustrated - I spoke with the manager at the sevice hub in Eden Prairie MN and he sent his most senior tech who has been out the last 2 service times and cannot fix it. Their process to declare it a lemon is insane - 8 visits with no fix is not enough. I tried to get them to give me a cheaper model without all the bells and whistles and was told that it had to be declared a lemon first and then if they did swap models there would be no refund between my $300 model and the cheaper one. They are spending a fortune coming out over and over and UPSing parts to my house. I am having to miss a lot of work which they do not seem to realize makes me an unhappier customer each time. Has anyone battled Sears regarding their GDO? Any tips on obtaining any satisfaction?

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener will not shut door

After a thunderstorm this morning, I went down to the garage, and pressed the wall switch to open my Craftsman Model 139 GDO. Oddly, it took a couple of times to get it to open, but it finally did. However, it would not go back down. I tried to reset the unit's remote sensor, but to no avail. Led is blinking 5 times in succession. What does that mean? Pressing the remote only causes the incandescent bulbs to turn on, if they were previously off. The power did go off briefly during the storm, but nothing in the house seems to have been damaged. I'm fairly handy, but not too excited about buying a new GDO unless I have to... Any ideas?

o

My 20'ish year old Craftsman opener has been working fine (and continues to work fine with the remote in the rear view mirror of my car). About 2 months ago it started to work intermittently with the remote in my wife's car. New battery did not help. I bought a new remote (same brand/model that had worked fine) that's doing the same thing - works intermittently. Seems to open it better than it closes it. Thanks for any ideas!

o

I have a craftsman 315 Mhz GDO, model 139.53992D, screw drive that I purchase in 2006. It worked fine till about 3 weeks ago. At that time it would not stay in the down position when closing it. I adjusted the down force screw counter clockwise to decrease the down force and it worked OK for about a week.
The next and continuing problem is that in the middle of the day or night for no reason at all it automatically opens and stays open. I has done this for 5-6 times over the last 2 weeks.
Can there be someone using the 315 Mhz frequency in the area and opening my door? What could be the cause of this phantom opening? I hate getting up in the morning and seeing the door was open in the middle of the night. Thanks for any help you can give.

o

Hi,

I have a Craftsman model 139.53674SRT1 mfg. in 1997. I'm trying to program it with a 2009 Camry Homelink system. The Camry doesn't seem to see the unit (or vice versa). However, I was able to delete the codes on the main unit and successfully reprogram my handheld remote and also the wireless keypad.

I tried the instructions in the Camry owner's manual, the instructions on the Homelink site (pretty much the same) and the instructions for the remote.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

o

I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman GDO (chain drive). It sticks half way down and the controls (remote and wall) make it work partially on a random basis. I had a serviceman look at it and he said the sprocket at the motor is where chain rides is broken. Can I get a new sprocket and replace it or do I need a new motor?

o

You can replace the sprocket and gear assembly. The part number is 41C4220A and is available at Sears parts. Any local opener service company should also sell you the part.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP # 399BR4499 and the nylon gear is worn out. Where can I purchase this replacement part?

o

I have an old craftsman garage door opener that has stopped working from a range of more than five or so feet from the unit. Works fine from the hard wired control, however does not work from the car or the remote unless you are in the garage close to the unit. is there any adjustment to the radio reciever in the unit - maybe a battery?

o
Craftsman Door Opener Problem

I have a Craftsman 139-53962SRT1 bought in 2000. It stopped working today, I push the button and it hums/buzzes two short intervals, but no motor running. I un-hooked the door from the opener, no travel problems, also it stays halfway up by itself, so I assumed the door spring is fine.
I noticed the small indicator light blinks all the time, but no idea if it did that before, never noticed it. Manual says that means the door spring is broken, but it seems fine to me.
Any ideas?
Thanks in Advance.

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Keypad

I have a craftsman model 139.53675srt1 it has the inside panel attached by the door to the garage, the motor unit on the ceiling and the entry keypad outside. We also have two remotes. I have one of the remotes working, but can't get the keypad re-programed. We don't have the old code either. I have searched and read blogs. I have tried several of the answers and NOTHING works. The keypad does not have a re-program button under the cover and the remote unit and the wall unit do not have a smart or learn button. We have tried hitting the reset and then entering the 4 digit code and hitting enter - just get flashing lights on the keypad. We have tried putting in the code and holding enter and then hitting the button on the motor NOTHING!!! Please someone tell me step by step how to reprogram the code for the keypad located on the outside of the door for this model.

o

my problem: sensors are aligned and unobstructed, new gears installed, track is lubed, gears are free and lubed. when i push the close button the door starts down for about a foot then revereses back a foot...same if I try to open. limits are adjusted out so no contact is made and sensitivity has been adjusted through their full travel...HELP and thank you. P.S. I am unable to locate a schematic for this unit.

o

My Problem: I just fix a busted gear now when I go to open it the door goes to close and move up just a few inches. I know it's not the sensors but I don't know what to do. Can any one help? Thanks.......

o

dadavoodoodoo, if you decide it is the logic board, I can tell you where NOT to buy a replacement: Ontario Supply. Found them on-line and the service was great, but the board they sent turned out to be defective and after I sent it back, they refused to refund the purchase price. My advis]ce is just to call a repair service.

o

My Craftsman GDO will go up about 3 feet and then stop. The green light on the control unit is flashing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

o

My Craftsman Garage Door Opener opened half way this evening then closed and won't open now. I can hear the motor working but it won't open. This is when using either the remote or the wall opener. How can I resolve this problem? Thanks

o

Please help! I've been using our Craftsman 1/2hp for a few months now with ease but now the remote or door will not close unless you use the wall unit. The inside light starts blinking and I don't know how to correct this. I've attempted to re-program, but the same problem occurs. Any suggestions?

o

You have a fault in the sensors at the bottom of the door. Make sure that they are aligned and that there is nothing blocking the path between them.

o

I did notice (with the help of my daughter) a small unit on the bottom of the door, would that be the sensor? If that indeed is it, what does it need to be aligned with? As you can see, I've no clue to these mechanisms...thank you in advance for any help.

o

There is one of those sensors on each side of your garage door. They should be pointed at one another. If they are pointed correctly there is a small light on each one that should be lit.

o

If I can only see one, would this cause the door to just open and not close and the light to flicker?

o

Yes if there is only one sensor it would be the cause of your problem but your door would never have worked that way. What could have happened to the other sensor?

o

Hi,

I have a Chamberlain GDO and its not working properly. When I press the button to open it, it keeps opening and doesn't stop after a minute or so. It also broke the cable. I had a friend that knows a thing or two about GDO's but could not find the problem. I'm guessing the electronic board is faulty. I made some checks to see if anything is visibly damaged and found nothing. The only thing I noticed is each time I pressed the door opener it made a click sound in the board area without any respond. The motor turns in only one direction.

My question is, if the board is faulty, how much it costs or I just buy a new one? Any idea of what could be the problem? Everything else looks perfect, just a rust here and there.
(PS. I found really funny previous posts between a "mike" and "gdo" arguments.)

o

When I press the remote or the keypad, the door only opens about 5 inches, then goes back down and then rises back to the same level. If I place my hand by the sensors when it is going up, it might rise an additional 10 inches and then stop. If I push on the door from below while it is going up, I can get it to go all the way up as long as I continue to push. Of course, I don't want to continue doing this. Any suggestions as to what is wrong and how it can be repaired? Thanks.

o

Take a look at your door springs. Sounds like one may be broken. The door sensors aren't involved when the door is opening. Only while closing. You may also want to take the cover off the motor unit and look at the drive gear. It is white nylon and it will be obvious if it is bad.

o

I have a Craftsman door opener model #139.18058. It was manufactured in 2002. It has worked great until a week ago. Now when I hit the button on my remote, the light on the opener will light up but the door will not move. Sometimes the door opens perfectly but will not close. Sometimes it will stop halfway open or halfway closed. (when it does this, it just stops it does not reverse) Other times it works perfectly. When it does not work with the remote, I have to operate the door from the hardwired switch. I have tried to set the up and down force switches but it makes no difference. The springs and all the door guides are OK and the door is not binding.
Is it possible that I have a bad board? If so, is it more cost effective to replace the opener or just the board?

o

Sounds like a bad drive gear. Take off the cover and check to see if it is stripped. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor.

o

The drive gear is fine. The motor does not run at all when it does this.

o

I currently own a 12year old house with a 1/2hp craftman garage door opener installed when built. A week ago the garage door opener stopped working. Not with the remote or wall unit. It just makes a clicking noise, same noise as if I was trying to turn on the light. The sensor lights are on as well as a blinking green light on the opener unit itself. Is this a problem that can be repaired or do I need to replace.

o

i have a craftsman Model# 53918 garage door opener purchased in feb 2009 and installed by sears. this past week the wall pad stopped working. it is still illuminated with the time. the wire is still connected to the opener and its not broken along the way. the remotes still work as does the keypad. can i replace the wall switch and if i can buy a replacement - how do you take that one off? ive tried to pop it off but it doesnt come off? any suggestios in repair or removal? thanks.

o

If your date is correct feb 2009 then your unit is still in warranty. Call Sears service.

o

Im having the same problem as jayy2009. I shut my garage door opener w/ remote when I left the house and I stopped dead in its tracks about 3/4 the way down and have got nothing sense. The only thing I get when i push the button on the wall is several clicks and the led on the back of the opener flashes 5 times. The light bulb on the front does not work anymore either. This is a craftsman 1/2 hp. Any ideas. How would I know if its the motor or when to just go ahead and replace it???? Thanks in advance

o

It sounds like it is jammed. Release the door from the opener and try it manually. The led flashing 5 times is the code for RPM sensor or motor overload. The RPM sensor will not stop it from running.

o

Don- Could this be an electical issue since the light isn't coming on? Or would the flashing LED not work if that was the case?

o

GregTT: As Don recommended, have you disconnected the opener from the door and confirmed that the door opens and closes easily by hand?

o

An electrical issue covers a lot of ground. The flashing LED shows there is power getting to the unit.

o

I have a craftsman GDO model 139.18458 - about 4 years old. Worked great for 3 years. Now both remotes will work if they are 3 inches away from the antenna, but not from farther distances (most of the time, although last Saskatchewan winter it worked fine). This spring it started doing the same thing. I've replaced batteries, re-programmed, shut circuits off within house, etc. I expect it may be some type of intermittent interference within the city block. Is there a fix for this?

o

If it is interference it will show on the back of the motor unit just above the smart/learn button. If that LED is flashing constantly you have interference. If it is just random flashing it is normal and you have a bad logic board.

o

Chris 1130 WHERE ARE YOU? I need help with my 139.53975SRT1. I tried to program two cars and it wouldn't program; it merely made the existing remote transmitters NONFUNCTIONAL! I finally got one transmitter to work, but when I programmed the other, transmitter 1 STOPPED WORKING. Everytime I successfully program one transmitter, the other one STOPS WORKING! How do I get two transmitters to work at the same time?

o

Good day,
I currently have a Moore O Matic 700-S, 1/3 HP (chain drive)garage door opener. I'd like to purchase the Craftsman 53918, 1/2 HP (belt drive)to replace the Moore O matic. My question, is there any additional parts needed that's not included in the Craftsman box to do swap, or can the Moore O Matic grid be used?

o

Everything you need to install the new opener will be in the box. I wouldn't use any old parts at all.

o

kmgsage and I seem to have similar problem.

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO (Model #13953675SRT2). I have two Craftsman 3 button remotes. I have slavishly followed the directions in the user's manual and can easily program 1 opener with all funcionality (open, light control). The opener will not accept programming to allow the second remote to open the door. If I clear all programming (as outlined in the user's manual), the second remote can then be setup to open the door, control the light, etc. At this point however, the first remote - that did work - cannot now be added as a controller. It doesn't appear to be a battery issue since both remotes can be added - just not at the same time. I have had this GDO since we built the house - 10 years ago. All remotes worked originally.

Is this a reciever/logic board issue?

Does anyone have any ideas?

o

This is not a logic board problem.

One of your remotes has gone bad.

You have the red, learn button, which means you have the rolling code technology. That means that every time the remote sends a signal to the motor unit, it sends a different signal. That way, the bad guys can't use a code grabber scanner to find out what your particular code is.

One of those two remotes has stopped transmitting in the rolling code and has reverted back to the old "Billion" code.
The logic board in the motor unit will accept, or work on either "rolling code" or "billion code", BUT NOT BOTH.
It works on which-ever you program in first.

Go buy yourself a new remote that says "security Plus" on it.
Hold the red button on the back of the motor unit for 10 seconds which will wipe out everything that is programed in there. Let it go.
Now, push and release the red button (don't hold it, push and release like you would dial a telephone) and then press and hold the big button on the new remote.
Now try the new remote and make sure it moves the door.
Now, pick up one of the old remotes and try programming it the same way. If it works, great, if it doesn't, then that's the bad one.
The other remote should program just fine.
Let us know how you made out.

o

We had a lighting strike and now the Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO will not work. It will shut but only if I hold, till the door is completely closed, the manual button.

Question: Neither of the safety sensor lights (green or amber) are on. Should they be? Are they normally on all the time? If they are not no, is there a fix I could try?

Thanks.

o

Overhead garage door repairs and installations in all of San Diego area, California. We can fix them all, we have all the parts you may need. Wood, fiberglass, steel, full-view, or any type of doors.
With many years of experience, A Reliable Garage has been independently owned and operated by Justin Cox of San Diego, California.

Whether you need to make an everyday household repair or want to make a major garage door improvement and /or replacement, choose A Reliable Garage.

We take pride in helping homeowners solve problems big and small, whether it's a general maintenance or constructing an entire new project we can do it.
Please visit the website below for more information.

http://www.garagedoorinstallationsandiego.com/

Thank you,

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Door

o

My Sears GDO is giving me fits. I replaced the drive gears and not it will only move about 1 foot, then it stops and reverses. The lights don't blink so the sensors are in alignment. I took the chain off the top of the motor, still get the same thing. It runs 2 seconds, reverses for two seconds and stops. I've tried adjusting the stops but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What am I missing??? I'm sure it's something simple, but it's got me baffled.

o

I just replaced my old remote with a new one for my craftsman 315 gdo.After programming the remote it worked right away then it wouldn't, sometimes it works and other times it dosen't until I reprogram it again. Any ideas, I hope it's not the logic board.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp. I installed it in June and it has been working fine. Suddenly when the button is pressed, the motor runs for about 20 seconds but nothing moves. It then pauses for a 1/4 second and sounds as if it is reversing. This continues for about 20 seconds and then it stops. I've taken it down, checked connections and tried readjusting the chain, no luck. Any thoughts?

o

Mu unit is a 139.53628SRT

It looks fine mechanically but I don't know if the logic board is good and I don't have the sensors. is there a way to get it to operate without the sensors, just to test it?

I do have a set of Stanley sensors. Will they work with it?

Thanks.

Alan

o

I have a craftsman 139.53673SRT1. When I press either the transmitter button or the wall button the motor just makes a clicking sound. The motor will not run at all. I have unplugged the unit and tried resetting it, but nothing seems to work. Is this unit fried or is there something I'm missing?

o

I just installed 315MHz GDO and one of the sensors is steady green and the other flashes red. Ichecked the alignment by holding them 2 feet apart and they still do the same thing. What can I do to correct this problem. The door will not go down.

o

One of my neighbors is opening my garage door with his
garage door opener...we have lived across the street from
each other for three years...with no problems...he told me
he has not reprogrammed his remote...has not put in a new
or more powerful battery....and I have done nothing to my
garage door operner or remote....we both reprogrammed our
remotes...worked for about an hour...then his remote started opening my door once again...any ideas to fix this...thanks
Keller

o

automatic garage door opener. This project covers the basics; the instructions that come with your opener have the specifics. Once it's installed, we help you keep it working smoothly with advice about lubricating and maintaining the opener so it keeps you out of the rain for years to come. You still haven't acknowledged that over 90% of the postings on garage door openers have to do with Craftsman openers that aren't working right! Thanks for sharing..
Great job. If you've had enough of running from the car in the rain to yank open the garage door, it's time to install an

o

I just put new gears in this opener no.139,53966srt now it will only go about foot and then reverse the same amount. I don't think i ghanged of the settings. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

o

I have 2 Craftsman garage door openers that both do the same thing. They open fine and close ok but as soon as the door touches the floor they reverse and go back up. The sensors appear to be aligned, both lights are on and not blinking. What is wrong ??

o

I have a Craftsman 315 1/2 Hspwr garage door opener (13282271) for which I've misplaced owners manual and can't find the manual by Google (I get others, not the 315). The keypad on the outside has quit working. I can only open the door by going into the garage thru the house and pressing the wall unit there. Is there a way to restart the keypad? No lights come on the buttons when I push them. I do not see any buttons on the motor unit for unlocking as other posts mention. Any suggestions? Thank you!

o

Check the battery.

o

Good Evening Group,

I have a Craftsman Garage Door opener and about a week or so ago the hand held remote and my Homelink in both my Acuras no longer close the garage door, they will only open the garage door. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thank you!

o

when you try to close the door, does the light blink 10 times? If so, the sensors are blocked.

o

I have a Craftsman GDO Model 139.53992. The remote stopped working so we replaced the battery. It still doesn't work. The Premium Control Console unit still operates the door. We are currently trying to re-program the remote unit. The manual tells us to hold the button on the remote that operates the door, then hold the light button on the console. The while holding these two buttons press the push bar on the console and the unit lights should blink. When we do this the lights never blink. I know the little light works because when you push the bar button it flashes. Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener - Remotes Fail

I have a Craftsman garage door opener - model 00953918000 (its the 1/2hp battery backup/belt driven model). Recently the remotes have started to work intermittently. The hard wired controller always works, and if I stand with the remote directly under the unit it works - but the remote keypad and remote link only work some times. I believe this means that the system is only occasionally getting the signal. I replaced the batteries on the remotes just to make sure they weren't the weak link. Is there some way to check this? Is there a receiving control board or something that may need to be replaced?

Thanks for any guidance

o

Slight correction to my original post. The model # is 53918, and is 3/4 not 1/2HP. Obvious I am floundering on this :)?

Thanks again for any guidance.

o

Limited range of your remote controls could be related to radio frequency interference that comes from something in your home or in the surrounding environment. Certain electrical devices can radiate interference; this could be almost anything that is plugged into an electrical outlet.

Please keep in mind that the device can be brand new, or can be an item that has been in use for quite a while. Also, the item may continue to function properly as far as you are able to tell. The only problem with the item may be that it has started to broadcast the interference, with no other symptoms noted.

Some devices are more likely to generate interference than others. This includes TV cable, cable amplifiers, surge protectors, fluorescent lights, battery charging devices (power tools, golf carts, etc.), anything that utilizes a timer (sprinkler systems, lights, alarm systems, etc.), and a myriad of others. If the problem seems sporadic, we can safely assume that the device responsible for the interference is only being operated during these times. Again, please keep in mind that the age of the device does not determine if it is capable of broadcasting unwanted interference. Any electrical device can be the source of the problem.

To isolate potential sources of interference, turn the circuit breaker off to the garage and plug the garage door opener into an extension cord from another room. If the range improves, then the interference is coming from a device in the garage. If no improvement is seen follow the same procedure, this time turning off the circuit breakers to your home, with the exception of the garage and test the remote controls. If improvement is noted, turn the circuit breakers back on, one by one, until the range problem resurfaces. This will allow you to narrow down what room the problem device is in. You will have to go from there to isolate it further, by unplugging and re-plugging the items in that room.

If you are unable to determine any source of interference, then the receiver logic board in the overhead unit will need to be replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here