Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears Garage Door - Remotes don't work, now the keypad !

Posted by jeffreyb (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 7:51

Hi - I'm hoping this hasn't already been asked.Too many posts to try and verify. A month ago, all three of my clickers stopped working on one of the doors - all work fine on the second garage door. In the past week, the keypad, for the "troublesome" door, is starting to act up where is periodically will not open the door. I'm guessing the openers are @ 5+ years old. Would you have any thoughts as to what might be going on or is it time to replace the opener? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears Garage Door - Remotes don't work, now the keypad !

Sounds like a bad logic board which will run about the cost of a new opener if you do the work yourself.

o

Thank you for the reply. Are logic boards fairly easy to replace? So that I acquire the correct part, is the proper 'terminology' of the board actually the "logic board"?

o

Yes logic board is the correct name and it is fairly easy to replace. It is actually the end of your opener that all those white wires are connected to and the part number is printed on it. You will need to remember where those wires go and then you will find a quick disconnect on the top after removing the screws.

o

if you decide it is the logic board, I can tell you where NOT to buy a replacement: Ontario Supply. Found them on-line and the service was great, but the board they sent turned out to be defective and after I sent it back, they refused to refund the purchase price. My advise is just to call a repair service.

o
Reduced range of Garage door remotes

Garage door opener: Remotes have lost range in the last week. Two different units: 4 year old Craftsman #139.5399011 and a much older Stanley. 5 different remotes: two Security+ that came with the craftsman, one that came with the Stanley, remote keypad that came with the Craftsman, and the Homelink unit in my Toyota Mini-van. Changed batteries in all, little to no improvement. Before last week worked from 30 feet away, now at times they have to be in the garage to work. Seem to work better at night and on rainy days if that makes any sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here