Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldylvsroses

scratched frosted glass repair

ldylvsroses
17 years ago

We are remodeling my kitchen and the frosted glass door arrived a while ago. It looked fine when I check but now that it's finally time to hang it I noticed a scratch in the frosted part of the glass that is right at eye level.(directly under this is an etching of wheat sprigs)

I was wondering if there is a way to repair it so I don't see it evey time I look at the door

Comments (9)

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Little things like that annoy me too, but my advice is to learn to live with it. When you're dealing with reflective surfaces like this, the odds of making it look much worse over a much larger area are very high. I'm pretty handy, but I've tried to repair things like this before and always ended up sorry that I started.

• oberon476
    17 years ago

It is pretty much impossible to repair frosted glass unfortunately. You might try using a soft toothbrush and toothpaste on the scratch, but there is a possibility that you will simply make it more noticeable than it is already.

• pjb999
    17 years ago

I agree - actually polishing it with toothpaste will remove more of the frosting and make it more noticeable. The only possible thing would be a very very fine brush and one of those 'fake' frosting applications but I doubt it would fix it entirely...but then, if it's driving you crazy (and I totally sympathise, that sort of thing bugs me too) you may have nothing to lose.

• ldylvsroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replys. I emailed the company and they said to use de-natured Alcohol on it.I'll give it a try after the holidays-I don't want to chance making it worse and then having to explain to everyone that my "handy fix it" made the door worse-LOL
    Once again thanks for the replies.
    I'll let you all know how it turns out

• artemiss
    17 years ago

What a shame - that's a beautiful door! I have an idea for you...there is a product called Gallery Glass at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. One of the many varieties and colors of GG is one that is Frosted Glass. You might use a small paintbrush to fill in the scratch. I would dab it on, rather than stroking it on. Wait till it dries to decide if you need to reapply another coat. I've used the GG products many times, but not for a repair, and I hope this will work for you. Best of luck!

• arnettamae
    9 years ago

I wish I had taken before pictures. This cat had a large scratch on his back and a VERY noticeable somewhat circular scratch on his hip. The marks looked like silver paint in most lights but since they didn't respond to any conventional methods of removal I assume they were scratches. I found a site (http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/clean2.htm) which gave me hope. It advised:

"Select a paper of similar coarseness to the surface on which you are working (too coarse and you risk leaving obvious scratches - too fine and the area will end up appearing more polished than the rest). Using a small circular motion, begin on the smear itself, and then gradually work outward with ever-decreasing pressure so that your repair blends in with the rest of the surface."

I used what I had on hand - wet/dry sandpaper Extra Fine 320 grit, my brand sulphate free toothpaste (Closys), a spray water bottle, and a washcloth to dry the area. I worked slowly using just one small corner of the sandpaper in widening circles, spraying and drying after each pass to make sure that my repair was blending in. As you can see my once damaged cat is now "purrrrrrrfect"!

• PRO
    Sans Soucie Art Glass
    6 years ago

If it's really frosted glass (not a sticker) it can't come off. What your seeing could be a mark from cleaning or something sat on it and left a spot. Try using 100% pure acetone with a towel.

• licostello
    2 years ago

Wow it worked ! Thank you for advice on using 100% acetone on scratched frosted glass. My garage door kitchen cabinets had 1/16” of an inch scratch. It bugged me. Read the suggestion and I am a happy girl. Thank you