Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears Garage door opener won't close w/ remote

Posted by cdsol (cdsol@swbell.net) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 23:53

I've got a Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener (Model no. 41A4315-7A)which works fine in warm weather. When temp drops into the 50's or below, the remote won't close the door...the light just blinks. Opening the door is no problem. this problem can be over-ridden by holding down the button on the wall. Infrared light sensors appear to be aimed properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks! /Carl - Dallas TX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears Garage door opener won't close w/ remote

They may appear to be aimed properly, but they're not. The only time you can get the light bulbs on the motor unit to flash, is when the photo eyes are not working properly. The factory installed over-ride, is pressing and holding the wall button until the door closes and come to a complete stop.
It may look like one of the photo eyes has a solid green light on it, but if you look very close, you might find it is flashing, or pulsating very fast. Give the photo eye a twist and see if you can align them a bit better. The pulsating is to let you know that your hitting the target, but it's not quite a bulls eye.

o

But why only a problem when under 50 deg's?

o

When steel becomes cold, it contracts. The sensors are usually mounted inside a little bracket that is clipped onto the vertical track. It's possible that the sensor is just on the verge of not being hit and the cold is enough to move things so that it's not getting a strong signal.
When you live in the snow climate, this is a symptom we are all to familiar with.
If the door came down and then reversed because of unusual friction, the lights DON'T flash. They only flash when the door reverses because of the photo eyes. Thats how we diagnose if the problem is a sticky door or a photo eye blockage problem.

o
alignment of door safety lights

how does one align the two green light safety sensors on either side of the garage door? I just gently realigned by guessing and now I want to be sure for the next time it acts up.

o

monsignor that is the way you do it. When the lights on the sensors are on steady and the door is operating properly you have done it.

o

I have the same problem. lights on either side of the door have a steady signal. Door trys to go down, stops, backsup. Holding the wall mount button will work. I disconnected the sensors on the door with no different results. Any other ideas?

o

If you look real real close at the lights on the sensors you will see the light on the receiving sensor blinking ever so slightly. You sometimes have to get down on the floor to see this. The receiving sensor is the one with the light that goes out when you put your hand in front of the lens. Tweak them until that light is on steady.

o

I have 2 of the same models, this page helped me out greatly, Thanks, I do not have the manual for these units Can I program the remotes to open either doors? If so how do I do this?

o

If your remotes have 3 buttons you can program a different button to open the other door. You will find a button on the rear of each motor unit. First press and hold the button on the remote you want to program and then press and immediately release the button on the motor unit. Do the same with the other opener with the other remote.

o
sears gdo cold sensor problem-mystery solved!

I had described my problem with the Craftsman garage door opener that wouldn't close without manual override, 'cause when temp below mid-50's, I absolutely could NOT tweak the target sensor to make the LED give a non-flickering glow. When I moved the sensor a few feet closer to the trigger unit, I could make it work, so it was obvious to me that one(?) of them was weak. I finally solved the mystery by separately warming each one with a hair dryer. Once I warmed the sending /trigger unit, everything worked fine! Now all I gotta' do is see if one of them is available from Sears.

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions!

/Carl
Dallas TX

o

I have the same Sears model that is having the same symptoms, after trying all the mentioned suggestions still nothing to avail. I've noticed that neither of my safety sensors have a green power light nor is either one emitting a beam of light kinda like their not getting power. I've checked the wiring connections on the sensors and at the motor housing but see no visible problems. What can I do now to diagnose? Does this sound like a problem in my sequencer board inside the motor housing and would it be cheaper to replace entire unit instead of calling for service or replacing this one part? The unit was manufactured in 1994.

o

For iroctenn -

Here's what I did to diagnose mine.

Before you conclude the sensors are not getting power, check the voltage at the terminals at the motor housing and also the connector at the sensor(s). You can't completely rely upon what you see visibly. If no voltage, it could be either that there's really no voltagge from the motor housing, or else a break somewhere in the wiring to the sensors. On mine the bell wire is hard wired on the inside of the receiving sensor, but there's a connector plugged into the sending unit that can be removed to check voltage.

The sending unit's LED should glow just by getting voltage, but the receiving sensor's LED only glows if it sees a good infrared beam from the sending unit.

If the sending unit's LED glows, you can troubleshoot using a camcorder to see if there's infrared light coming from the sending unit and a TV remote control to point into the receiving sensor to see if you can make its LED glow.

/Carl
Dallas TX

o

iroctenn, the problem you describe could be a bad 'sending unit', bad wiring between the motor unit and the sending unit or a bad logic board. I would opt for a new unit due to the age.

o

Thanks for the advise, I will try your suggestions. One other concern while I do have access to a analog ohm meter, I don't have much experience using one. What settings should I dial in on the meter to check the voltage at the motor housing terminals and at the sensors themselves?

o

I don't remember whether it's a.c. or d.c. coming out of the housing. First set the dial on a d.c. scale that has a range which would include about 6 Volts. Then put the red probe on the wire that has some sort of colored strip on it, and the black probe on the other wire then take your reading. If that doesn't work, try the a.c. scale and doesn't matter which of the two wires the probes touch.

o

There are three terminal posts on the circuit board, (#1) on the left side is red, (#2) in the middle is white, and (#3) on right side is black. I was assuming the white is the ground connection and the red and black posts on either side are the hot conections for each of my sensors. Is this a correct assumption since I have no documentation on this unit? When I tested with the volt meter I got a reading between the #1 and #2 posts but no reading when I tested between the #2 and #3 posts. Another question I'm wondering is where is the wire or how is my wall mounted over-ride button connected to this system?

o

I've read some other forum postings since my last reply and now I know what each wire going to each terminal post is for. But now my question is since posts #2 and #3 have no voltage output which explains why my sensors have no power, could I simply move those wires over to terminal posts #1 and #2 where I have power output? And if I do should I leave the wall mounted button wires connected to these same posts or not?

o

iroctenn, if you could move the wires from your sensors over to terminals 1 and 2 the manufacturer would have done it in the beginning and saved the 2 pennies it cost for the 3 post terminal.

o

I am also experiencing what sounds like a similar problem. My remote won't operate (put in new battery). The switch by the door operates the garage door although it has a rapidly blinking red light that was not there before. The wires all appear to be sound and the green and amber lights are glowing steady. I assume they are alligned properly for they certainly reverse the door if an object passes in front. What might the blinking red light indicate. I took that unit off the wall cleaned and checked the connections, alas the problem persists.

o

Press the learn button on the back of the motor unit and let it go. Don't hold it. Wait 60 seconds. The wall switch should have stopped flashing. Your remotes should work now.
Let us know how you made out.

o

My 2-year old garage door opener works fine in the evenings (when there is no daylight) regardless of the temperature outside.
It worked fine for about a year, then it started to reopen after closing a little bit when bright sun hit the infrared system, it got worse as the months went by. Now, when there is any bit of daylight (and sometimes even the light from the bulbs on the motor unit), the remote won't close the door.
Opening the door is no problem. I can close it by holding down the button on the wall.
The infrared receiver's green LED is constantly on but, when there is any daylight, the red light I can see in the receiver flickers ever so slightly.
I have tried to realign the beams many times without success.
What confuses me the most is that it works perfectly when there is no daylight!!
Could the infrared beam be too "weak" to reach the receiver across any bright light?
I would appreciate any help.

o

two possible solutions:
1) put a shade of some sort over them to block the sunlight from hitting the sensors.
2) see if they can be set a ltille farther apart and mounted more in the garage, so they are not in the sun with the door open.

HTH

o

I recall someone using the cardboard roll from toilet tissue to slip over the lens to block out the sun. I think sdellos suggestion to move the sensors back into the shady corners of the garage would be a better solution if possible.

o

Chamberlain (Sears) does not make a photo eye with a red light on it. If it's 2 years old, the transmitter will have a yellow light and the receiver has a green light.
This is a tough one, because most photo eyes are not bothered by the sun. Try using a cardboard tube from inside a toilet paper roll, and use it as a sun shield around the photo eye. It's worked before.

If your convinced that the photo eyes are properly aligned then you may have to replace them. I don't think its the Logic Board.

o

Thank you all for your suggestions!!
Because my house faces south and I am in Calgary, Canada (very up north), the sun is very low in the horizon, and the angle in which the sunshine hits the garage at sunrise and sunset is extreme, there is basically no shady corner to mount the sensors in, so no luck there.
I will try with the toilet paper rolls and if that doesn't work I will have the infrared system replaced.
Thanks again!
Zozori

o

thanks gds hitting the learn button on the back of the motor was all it needed. the cleaning and new battery i'll have to view as a bonus. thanks, herb

o

I have two of these installed in the garage, since 1994. Last night they started acting up. One of them will open and close on it's own and do so constantly. At four in the morning, that is not such a good thing. Oh, there it goes again. The green light on the back of both of the openers is flickering constantly as well. I have tried a lot of different things, and cannot get it to work properly. One of the hand held remotes is now operating both of the openers as well.

Anything?

o

You may have a remote thats stuck on. Gather up all your remotes and take them about a block away and leave them with a friend. Don't forget the one thats been thrown in the kitchen junk drawer. Now go back to the house and see if the LED on the back of the motor unit is still flickering. That LED flickers when it is getting a signal from a remote. If it's still flickering, take the battery out of your digital keypad outside. Let us know what happened.

o

i have somewhat of a different problem...I recently put my sensors back on after putting up beadboard in my garage. The green sensors are on steady but they dont blink when an object is placed in front of them. They appear to be lined up but i cant figure out why they dont even blink. Only a muanual override will allow the doors to go down. Please help. Thanks

o

If properly aligned and working correctly, only the receiving eye's little green light will go out when the beam is broken. Breaking the beam will not make the sending eye's light go out.
It appears the system was working correctly until you installed the panneling on the walls. Did you cover over the photo eye wires when you installed the panneling? Look at the back of your motor unit and see if the LED if flashing on the back of it. If it's flashing "one" flash, that means the wires are shorted out. I think, considering what you have done, that you should be tracing every inch of the wires, looking for a staple that the beadboard has pressed hard into the wire and shorted it.

o

I am having a similar problem. The door will only close part way (about a foot) then come back up. This happens with both the remote and wall button. Both the sending and recieving sensors are solid green. The door does not make the clicking noise as it does when something is blocking the sensors. I have unhooked the chain to the door because I though it might be getting jammed but even now the motor still only runs for a few seconds then reverses. I have unplugged and replugged back in. Any suggestions.

Thanks

o

After continuing my search on this board I found some information. My main motor unit green light is flashing 5 times. I have check the black thing that is on the end of the motor and it is on tight (there is only about 1/8 inch of the motor to put it on) Also the quick release with four wires is firmly attached.

Thanks

o

I listen to Gary Sullivan on the weekends for all the DIY stuff and some guy had a problem with the remote control not working after the sun went down. Turns out to be thermal expansion contraction of the door that was causing tightness on the rails, thus not allowing free movement which will keep the remote from working. I found it interesting. Gary proceeded to tell the guy to grease the rails and replace the batteries in the remote.

o

PeteyBoy, I don't know who this Gary Sullivan is but he knows as much about door openers as I know about Mars. Greasing the rails is like greasing the street for your tires. The rollers are supposed to roll not slip and slide and replacing the batteries because the door won't close after sundown is a little farfetched to say the least. Probably an interesting show though.

o

Anyone, I am interesting to know if Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP chain type is AC or DC motor? What is Cons and Pros for DC / AC motor? As DC motor is using Driving force (Newton) instead of AC's motor's HP. why is that? Thanks.

o

Raymond I can answer part of your question. The Craftsman chain drive opener uses an AC motor. Their new top of the line belt drive opener uses a DC motor and that is why they are able to equip it with a Diehard battery for emergency use. I do know the RPM of DC motors is adjustable where AC motors are not. I expect more innovations with the DC motor and my next opener will have one. I have no idea what the replacement cost will be at this time. I hope someone else with more knowledge on DC motors will jump in here.

o

I have a similar problem to those mentioned above. The receiving light LED will not come on. I checked all of the wires and everything looks fine. I tried aligning the sensors, but no luck. Finally, I tried pointing the TV remote at it (receiving sensor) and it lit up fine. Is this a problem with the sending sensor?

o

I'm no expert, but that's the technique I used and in my case it DID turn out to be a bad sending unit. I presume there's always the possibility that the receiving sensor has just lost sensitivity and wouldn't work if the infrared source were farther away. Doesn't matter though...you can't buy the sending unit without the receiving sensor - - they're sold as a pair. Sounds like you solved it.

/Carl

o

My garage door opener (Sears craftsman part # 41A4315-7A) is malfunctioning for some odd reason. The garage door opener on in the house which is a one button unit in the garage opens the garage door with one push but to close the garage you have to keep pressing the button until it touches the ground. Then it may blink and go up a couple inches if you let go of the button. The sensors on the side of the garage have been disconected but this problem still continues. Then the remotes in the cars wont open or close the garage and the same thing holds true for the padlock outside the house for the garage. Any help?

o

I have the same problem as all of the above and have run through the sugestions. Does anyone know the correct way to wire the sender and receiver to the terminals? I have both wire to terminal 2 and 3 in parallel. Is that correct?

o

arms, there are 2 wires from each sensor. One is solid white and the other is white with a black stripe. The 2 solid wires go to terminal 2 and the 2 wires with black stripes go to terminal 3. If you still have a problem post back.

o

Thanks a lot for the wiring information, that was a big help.
It looks like I need a new receiver. I tried the TV remote control test and the light did not come on. Any tips on the best place to find a new receiving unit? My opener Circuit Board is a 41A4315-7D Mfg 9/99. The opener is Craftsmen 1/2 HP 139.53648SRT2

o

I would call around to the local opener dealers and see if they have a used one. They sometimes have parts from openers they have changed out. I think the normal price is around $70.00.

o

I have problematic craftsmen garage door opener. My problem is similar to some of you above in that the remotes don't work, and neither does the keyless entry when either the weather dips below 50 degrees or maybe a humidity issue. I'm not sure which. It does work fine during the summer. The thing that *always* works is the button near the door which has the light on it (not sure what that's called). The remotes always also work when they are within 2-3 feet of the motor, though. I've tried reprogramming/learning the codes, and replacing the batteries twice in the remotes and the keyless entry.

I don't see how the sensor could be the problem with the remote because that says the garage door doesn't care if it hits something as long as the button on the inside of the garage was pressed. It does care, however, and if there's something blocking it, it will stop and reverse itself.

This was installed by Sears, and serviced 2-3 times by Sears under their extended warranty. They've replaced the main circuit board, and supposedly checked the sensors. In the houses I've lived in, I don't remember the sensors being that sensitive to cold--except Craftsmen.

Is it time to throw in the towel, and buy another brand, or would I have the same problem?

Thanks,
Ben

o

Your problem is with the receiver which is built into the logic board. The reason the wall control still works is because it is wired direct and doesn't use the receiver. Due to the cost of the logic board I would opt for a new opener but I would seriously consider another Craftsman and keep that old one for parts.

o

I have sort of a wierd problem with ehe safety sensor. Here is the run down. The sensors are aligned. When the beam is obstructed the door will not close. All remotes (including Home Link remotes) are working just fine. But, when you walk through the bean the light on the door opener will not light.

Any ideas?

o

If you have the model that includes this feature just hold the light button on the wall control for 10 seconds. That should toggle this feature off and on.

o

Thanks to GDS's comment on Thursday, Dec. 1 regarding the use of the learn button on the motor unit to reset the blinking red light on the wall switch. I was having the same problem. Now my remote control to works again! Thanks!

o

gjhmaryland if you have the 3 button wall control you just need to press and hold the button with the lock icon for about 3 seconds. This will turn off that blinking light and your remotes will work.

o
RE: Trouble with sensors

I am impressed with the apparent knowledge of garage door openers and sensors on this forum. My problem is similar to others. I have a 53525SRT 1/2 HP Sears opener. I bought a sensor set 53710 which is compatible according to the instructions. But I can't get these to work.

Some of the postings here indicate that no sears sensors have red LEDs --- these do. The wiring is straight forward: The receiving sensor connects to the opener (white and white/black wires) and it also connects to the emitter (yellow and yellow/green). The receiving sensor has the red LED while the emitter LED has an unknown color since I can't get it to light up!! It's clear in color but probably is green with proper power.

So I checked the voltage at the opener and I have 6V between the #2 and #3 terminals with the receiving sensor not connected. Once the wires are connected this voltage drops to 5V which I think is OK because of loading. The red LED at the receiver is very faint and blinking but hard to see. The voltage at the emitter is just below 1V and does not seem to be high enough to fire that LED.

So I think the receiving sensor is my problem. Can someone tell me what voltages I should be seeing at these various points.

Many thanks.

o
RE: Trouble with sensors

CORRECTION TO ABOVE POST.

The voltage at the emitter reads .1V, not 1V.

o

I don't have an answer for Jaycin, I'm posting because I have a similar issue. My opener stopped working a few months back and I've just been dealing with it, having my wife close the door behind me and such. I finally broke down and started messing with it today, to see if I could get it working again. What I found is that at posts 2 and 3, I have 6 volts with nothing connected. If I connect the sensors, I get 0 volts at points 2 and 3. I'm guessing this is expected if the sensors are not lined up or if there is a cable problem, and how the whole thing works. If not lined, it breaks the circiut and you get 0 volts so the opener will not run. With everything connected and lined up, I have no yellow and green LEDs, and the opener only closes if you hold the button on the wall. Anyway, to further troubleshoot, I cut the wires to my sensors, so that they were only about 10 inchs long , and then connected them one at a time to the opener, posts 2 and 3. This time, when I connected the sensors with short wires, my LEDs were lit, and if I held them in line with each other, the opener would work correctly. Great, I figured I found my issue, I had an open in my cableing somewhere. I grabbed some new cable and re-wired my sensors again. I got everything all hooked up, and when I connected the wires to posts 2 and 3, my LED's weren't working again, and the opener wouldn't open the door. What the heck, I broke another cable? I got out my multimeter again, and deciced to check the cables resistence because I had no other cable to use. Checked every cable, and all were good, 0 ohms of resistence. Even the cables that were originally there were fine. So now I've got the stinking thing rigged with the sensors just taped together facing each other, about 3 inchs away from the opener. Does anyone know what might be causing my problem, it sure seems like it would have to be a cable issue, but I checked the resistence many many many times. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

o

shawn, you haven't mentioned it so I'm guessing it could be part of your problem now. Polarity is very important when wiring the sensors. The original wires were color coded. The 2 solid white wires went to terminal 2 and the 2 white with black tracer wires went to terminal 3. If you miswire either one you will have problems.

o

I'm not certain whether I had the white on terminal 2 and the black/white on terminal 3, or vice versa, but I guess I could check it out. As far as I'm aware, it shouldn't matter, as -6 volts and +6 volts should be the exact same thing, right. I could be wrong though, I don't have much electrical training, and that was quite a while ago, so I'll see if swapping the leads changes anything. The more I think about it, with my problem, everything was working correctly, and then it stopped working one day. My wires never changed or got disconnected, but I've seen stranger things, so maybe that could be my issue. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

o

Hi,

I sort of have the same problem this morning before going to work. I have a sears garage dor opener and my wall mount has 3 buttons, one for opening the door and 2 small one on top that says LOCK and LIGHTS. The green led on the button opener used to be on constanly but this morning it was off. I an open the door from the wall mount opener but my remote is not working, i know i have batteries on the remote coz i can open the other dorr with it. Could someone help me on how to fix this... thanks in advance!

o

Press and hold the lock button for about 5 seconds. Should get you going.

o

so how do i just jump the stupid sensors?

o

You can't jump the stupid sensors.

o

darn. i just tried placing the sensors facing each other. no green light. looks like something died. wonder why i cant just jump contacts together...

o

hi

I've got a Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener. i put it in last november 2005. it's worked a ok until a couple weeks ago (using either the remotes or the keypad remote)

now, it's like every 5th or 10th press of the remote (or input of the proper code in the keypad) opens the door.

i've changed the batteries in the remotes / keypad. no difference.

i've pressed the "learn" button on the back of the unit. no difference.

i've pressed and hel the lock on the wall switch. no difference.

it's almost like the "computer" on the unit doesn't know the remotes until it's been pressed the right number of times. it doesn't matter if the remote is in my truck or i'm standing in the driveway.

HELP!

thanks
kelly

o

kelly here is a phone number you can call for help with your problem. This number will get you to a manufacturers technical support rep for Sears openers. 1-800-528-5236. They will do their best to help you.

o

thanks don. i'll get the model # and call them.

cheers
kelly

o

Not a Sears opener but a "Overhead Door" brand and "Legacy" model that was doing just this same thing this morning.

Remotes wouldn't work, but holding down the wall button would open/close. I couldn't figure it out this morning (had the little one in the car ready to go to daycare and didn't have time to tinker), but is it a safe bet it's the same thing here (the infrared eyes aren't aligned)?

That'll be an easy fix when I get home if so. Thanks for the replies in advance.

o

An installer can't but a homeowner can...the sensors are mounted incorectly to start with, If its going to be any use raise them to the heigth of your bumper so if your cars not in far enough the door wont close 'I JUST MOUNT MY SENSORS TOGETHER AND HANG THEM FROM THE CEILING OR SOME OTHER OUT OF THE WAY PLACE that way I can push the button and run out the door , be sure to check on occasion to make sure your door still reverses when it hits something.

o

I am not sure if my first e-mail worked the first time. I have a craftsman 1/2 hp GDO Model 41A4315-7D that is 5 year old and it does not work. On my wall button the green light is on and when I press it, you hear a clicking sound coming from the unit. A yellow light next to the red button on the unit flashes 5 times and the pauses and repeats it over and over. The same thing happens when I use my car remotes. I checked my sensors and one has a green light and the other has a yellow light that are on. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Nelson

o

Please Help! I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO Model: 139.53914D. It opened to the set limit (NOT resting on the stop bolt), but won't close. It has 5 flashes on the LED, which indicates RPM Sensor failure or motor overheat (according to the manual). I've unplugged to reset, no good. I've tried adjusting the limits and the force sensors - no good. Does the RPM sensor need replacing? The motor does work, travel stops when it hits the upper limit sensor - not the bolt. Any ideas?

o

I have an old (7-12 years) Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. A few weeks ago, I was opening the door. It started going up, then got stuck, reversed itself and started coming down. It got stuck in this cycle and eventually the track that was connected above the garage door fell down. I put the track back up (but haven't yet connected the garage door). Now, when I try to open it, it will close about 6 inches, the chain slackens, reverses, the chain tightens it opens about 6 inches and stops. The chain is originally on the track, but when it stops, part of the chain is below the track. Hoping someone may have some ideas.

Thanks in adavance.

o

I had been reading these posts to find a solution to my Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener (Model no. 41A4315-7A) which also works fine in warm weather.
As soon as it gets below 40 Deg F. I can't use the Remotes to open the door. I have tried most of the suggested solutions but nothing seemed to be a permanent cure.

I finally found a sensor bypass module on eBay that replaces the temperature sensitive Sears sensors. It works great. Just do an eBay search with "Sensor Bypass Module".

Of course I don't have the safety feature anymore but neither does the trick of facing the sensors to each other. At least the Garage Door Opener now works and the temperatue problem has been solved.

o

I have never heard of a sensor bypass module and if it did disable your sensors, your garage door will fail inspection if you ever go to sell it.

o
Revision

Well, there is a such thing. I found one on ebay also. However, this is not how would recommend fixing any photoeye problems. IMHO the sensors where put there for a reason and should remain as such.

o

I agree with doorguy06... you should use the original sensors for safety especially if you have kids or animals around.

But I must say.... the Sensor Bypass Module is a cheap quick fix that solved my Temperature problems and I don't have to buy new Sensors.

o

Jay bee your right it is a quick fix and is going to cost you more in the long run. You are paying $10.00 for this module plus shipping and handling. The only senors I have ever seen that are tempermental to tempature are the old style rectangular ones that have a two prong plug on the back of them. For the cost of this module you can buy the newer sensors and install them and have the problem fixed right the first time.

o

The new modules with the Red LEDs seem to not work on the older model openers (as I found out in other forums and posts).
New Sensors for my model opener sell on eBay for about $30 including shipping ( that's the cheapest place that I found any sensors). The Sensor Bypass Module cost me less than half of that with shipping included. I can't see how it is going to cost be more in the long run... my problem is solved.
Enough said.... anyway.... I don't have kids or pets and it works great in our cold climate.
By the way... how's the temperature in Albania?

o

Ahh the old I don't have kids or pets so I don't have to worry about it. Call me when you close your door on something I will come out and put it back on track for you. I hope you don't ever plan on selling your house b/c the home inspector doesn't care if you have pets or kids. Your gonna have to buy the sensors anyway.

$10.00 + shipping and handling + whatever I charge to put your door back on track + $30.00 + shipping and handling = more in the long run.

By the way weather is fantastic thanks for asking.

o

I can see that you are a Garage Door Repairman by your last post.
Of course you don't agree to a cheap quick fix... there is no money in it for you...

Have you ever heard of the garage door reversing when it comes down on something????
My garage door won't come off track because of that safety feature.
If it ever does come off track for some other reason... then I can surely put it back myself... since I installed it originally myself about 8 years ago.
If I ever sell my house I will certainly make a good profit on the sale and will only then invest $30.00 for new sensors.

By the way the query was how is the Temperature not the Weather.

o

I don't agree with a quick cheap fix because, I believe in doing things right the first time. I make the same amount of money regardless of the repair and take great pride in knowing that when I leave your house I won't be coming back because I made a cheap quick fix.

If you want to be dumb enough to bypass your sensors then do it, don't recommend it to other people because, then your potentially putting them in harms way. For me it is a matter of safety and not money. So you can take your biased opinion on Garage Door Repairmen and shove it up your...............

By the way Temperature is related to Weather.

o

Very intellectual and sophistiated....
doorguy06.....

GET A LIFE !!!

o

Merry Christmas Jay-Bee.

o

Hello doorguy06
I recently bought a house with a Craftsman garage door opener and have looked for information on the door such as how to program remotes, on the power unit it has two dial select type adjustments that I suppose is one for the up pressure and one for the down pressure. What I don't know is: Is the smaller the number the less pressure/lift strength? I have not connected the raise and lower arm to the door because I had to hold the raise and lower manual door switch to operate it, and I don't want to put excessive pressure on the door connection. The old door was a heavy wood door and the new door is a light insulated metal door. This door has never been completely installed and the safety sensors have not been mounted. I understand how to mount these and adjust them. After I mount and adjust them I will be able to program my remotes, is that correct? The "LEARN" button on the back of the power unit is GREEN if that makes any difference. I do not have any mounting brackets for the safety sensors, but feel that I can fabricate these from sheetmetal, unless there is a good place to buy them. I will definitely appreciate any input that you might have concerning this. Thanks alot,
jocairdog

o

jocairdog,

If the learn button is green, then it is an older opener and judging by what you put in your post I would assume that it is old enough that it did not come equiped with the sensors. Was this opener operational before you bought the house without the sensors?

The dials you are referring to are your force settings. Basically they higher the number the more force it is going to exert to continue closing or opening once it hits something before reversing or stopping. What are your forces set on now?

To program the remote just push in on the learn button and let go and then hit the remote, the light will flash, you will hear a relay click and it should be programmed.

If you are having a problem opening or closing the door please specify further, I am thrown off by you having to hold the wall button to open or close the door.

o

Hello doorguy06
I appreciate the fast responce and the expert help. The door is equipped with the door sensors. They have not been mounted by the door. They are connected electrically(connected to 3 terminals on the rear of the motor unit and labeled 1-2-3, with 1 in red) and are laying on top of the motor unit with a coil of wire each probably 25 to 30 feet long. I figured since they were connected but not properly aimed at each other was what was causing me to hold the manual raise and lower button to get the door to operate. This is the way it was when I bought the house. There were no remotes, but I have purchased 2 that are supposed to be correct for the door model. I have not tried to program the remotes because I haven't mounted and run the wire for the sensors. I was also concerned with the opening and closing pressure adjustments, because the door that we replaced was an extremely heavy wood door, and replaced it with a very light insulated metal door. The raise and lower dial settings are both on 5. The dial scale is 1-3-5-7-9. This Sears Craftsman door model is:139-53635SRT manufactured in 8/95.
As I have said earlier I really appreciate the help,
jocairdog

o

Forces set on 5 is not out of the ordinary. If you are concerned you can turn them down to 0 and adjust them a little bit at a time until the door consitently goes up and down. Since the photo eyes are on top of the unit, see if one of the lights is on. This will be your sending eye, point them directly at each other and see if the other light comes on. If not you have a bad set of sensors or possibly a bad wire connection. If you have any more questions or problems, let us know.

o

doorguy06
I really appreciate the expert advice and instructions that you have provided. I checked out the sensors just like you said. Only one had a light on until I directed them toward each other and the other unit light lit up. I taped them together so that they would be both lit and the manual button didn't have to be pressed all the time up or down.

I adjusted the up and down pressure back to 3 and it seems to be "OK" there. I will definitely mount the door sensors as soon as I fabricate two mounting brackets.

I have not been able to program my remote transmitters, and I'm not sure of the correct model for them to be. I haven't found any information to tell me which remote transmitter is correct for this door. Do you know a web site that would provide this information?

I have gone to the local Sears store and the young lady at the parts counter refused to give me the correcr model of the remote but would order me one for $80.00 including shipping.
I appreciate your help and I feel that I have gained some of the correct operational characteristics of the door. Thanks alot,
jocairdog

o

What is the model number on your opener? Give me that and I can give you the sears and or Liftmaster part numbers you'll need.

o

I have a older Craftsman (Model 139 53609) where the remotes have 3 buttons. How do you change which button controls which door opener?

o

Hello doorguy06,
I first want to apologize for not getting back to you. We have been moving for the past month to the house with the Sears Craftsman door. We finished moving last Friday(1-19) and are trying to get everything out of boxes and arranged.
I had found a site where the garage doors were listed by year of production and found the correct opener for the door.Here is the information that I found.

Operate One LiftMaster, Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman or other Chamberlain Brand garage door openers.
With openers manufactured between 1993-1997.
Billion Code with Smart Coding Button.
Compatible with the following remote control model numbers:
LiftMaster Chamberlain
81LM 82LM
83LM 84LM
99LM 64LM
850CB 853CB
959CB 856CB

Sears/Craftsman
139.53879 139.53859
139.53779 139.53759

I have managed to make everything work now and feel that you were the main element.
I really appreciate you help
jocairdog

o

There seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum so I'm hoping someone can help me solve my problem.

My garage door will no longer open unless you physically push or pull on it while holding down a remote button. Not even the main button inside the garage will open or shut the door even if it is held down. It will make the door move about 3 inches and then it stops. If I quickly press the button twice, it will move another 3 inches and stop again. If I am very diligent I can also get the door to open or shut that way but it seems a little ridiculous. The temperature is cold but none of my neighbors are out putzing with their doors. I checked the sensors and both seem to be working and emit a solid green light. The green light on the back of the motor blinks 4 times. I don't have a manual so I don't know exactly what it is trying to tell me. It is a Craftsman model I'm assuming from '99 since that is when the house was built. I didn't take down the model number but I can certaily do that if it is relevant. I would greatly appreciate any help. It is too cold to be standing outside fighting with my garage door, especially a losing battle!

o

Check to make sure your door springs aren't broken. Also a good time to take the cover off and look at the white nylon drive gear. Could be going bad.

o

Don,

Thanks for your reply. I did take off the cover to check the gears. They are somewhat worn but they do still have teeth on them so I hoping that's a good sign. While I was up there, I increased both the up and down force from the lowest setting to 3. That seems to have solved the problem as far as opening. The door now opens just as it's supposed to so I don't think the problem lies in the springs. It still is having a problem closing however. The door will go down about 1-2 feet then stop and reverse. If I hold the button down though, it will close all the way. So, I'm making progress because I no longer have to exert any physical force to get the door to move. But now that I've invested this much time in it, I would like to get it fully operational. As I said before, the green light on the back of the motor is blinking four times. Because I don't have an owners manual, I'm not sure what that means. I tried to find a PDF format of it on the Sears website, but no luck. Do you know of a website where I would be able to find that info or does anyone have a hard copy of it? The model number is 139.53648 dated 09/99. Thanks again for your help Don, and any forthcoming help as well.

o

That little green light on the back of the opener that is sending a code of 4 flashes is telling you the door sensors are not properly aligned. Check them. Each of them has a small light that should be on and not flickering. Tweak them and see if that doesn't help. Happy to help.

o

Well Don,

Thanks again for your help. You were absoulutely right. The light on the target sensor was blinking so minutely that even right up next to it you could barely tell. But I was able to realign them and the door shut just fine and the light on the motor house quit blinking. Unfortunately, after testing the door twice, the door wouldn't open and I can hear a noise from the motor that can only be the stripped gears slipping. It is quite a disappointment after the excitment of finally fixing it. But I really appreciate your help with the troubleshooting and providing all the answers I needed. I'm not sure how big of a job replacing the gears will be but perhaps you will be able to help me with the questions that are sure to arise from it. Thanks again for all of your time and help.

o
Sears Craftsman (Model 139.xxx) Garage Door Opener

I recently changed the gear and sprocket assy (41C4220A). I went to test it (without door attached) but the chain moved about 12 inches and then reversed went 12 inches and stopped. I used both the remote and the door control button to test. The sensors are working okay. The center limit switch is not touching either of the up or down contact switches. Any suggestions?

o

Did you remember to replace the black plastic interrupter cup? It will cause this problem.

o

Hello, I have a problem as well. I have an older opener #139.53600 with a dip/switch system. Remote worked for me, then 2 hrs later it didn't. Also, after holding in the main button(remote) for a few seconds my other garage door opened. Even after changing the switch settings on multiple remotes and the opener itself, remotes would only open the other door. Now, listen to this, figuring I might not be able to fix this right away, I set the switch to the settings of the other door. Now the middle button on the remote opens the door I am having problems with. The buttons inside the garage work fine. Can anyone help me??

o

I'm rather confused. If the opener (receiver) and the remote (transmitter) are the same manufacturer or are otherwise compatible, then they should only communicate if the dip switch positions match.

If you're saying that an opener operates from a remote with different dip switch settings then there's something wrong with one or the other or both.

o

Thanks for responding. I completely agree with you. It doesn't make sense. But I will say this, after setting all switches to the same dip settings, the main remote button opens one door and the middle remote button opens the other. So, I'm guessing it's about time to replace one or the other since the were installed when the home was built in 1988. So for now I'm getting along with what they're giving me.

o

Thanks for responding. I completely agree with you. It doesn't make sense. But I will say this, after setting all switches to the same dip settings, the main remote button opens one door and the middle remote button opens the other. So, I'm guessing it's about time to replace one or the other since the were installed when the home was built in 1988. So for now I'm getting along with what they're giving me.

o

I have a similar problem with my opener..It will work, however I have to hold the remote two inches from the unit. I have switched the batteries to no avail..

o

You have a bad logic board.

o

Is that something easy to replace?

o

It is easy enough to replace. It is the board where all the white wires go. It cost around 80 or $90.00 though.

o

Doorguyo6
I wonder if you could explain the logic behind the sender receiver safety ciruit and how, if they are wired in parallel to a 5 or 6 Volt AC source, the interrupted beam disables the down motion and how it works when the receiver "sees" the beam allowing the down motion.
Many thanks for your valuable insight.

o

I have a Craftsman 41A4315-7D opener that recently quit working after a nearby lightning strike, which also took out 2 TVs and a computer (probably the least of my worries, but why replace what can be fixed...). The LED on the receiver flashes 5 times. Neither of the remotes nor the wall mounted button will operate the door although the overhead light does come on. Any ideas?

o

i have the exact same situation with the lightning strike. 5 flashes yada yada. I just need to know if it's time to replace or repair. pleases help me. I too hate to replace what can be fixed. Thanx Chris

o

well it appears was the logic board. Must have fallen victim to power surge. I could get the board for $78...almost $90 after shipping. Cut my losses and purchased newer opener for $139. Saved the old one for parts. I know the worm-drive alone will save me $40 down the road. Good luck all. Chris

o

Help!

Chipmonks have disconnected one of the two leads to the receiving sensor. How can I remove the plastic connector without breaking it?
Also, do I need to solder the wires back, or does the
connector mechanically hold the wires in place?

Thanks,

Mike

o
Sears Garage door won't close without holding in the wall switc

Our Garage door opens fine with or wthout the remote

but then again , it will not close unless you hold

in the wall switch , if you just push either the

wall switch or remote it gose a short distence and

then the light flashes 10 times and stops.

So can any one help me out , oh their are no cencers on

either side of the garage door , this is a old modeal

the # is 139-53660srt1 . Thanks for looking.

o

There might not be sensors on each side of the door but there should be. Sometimes people don't install them properly and place them in the rafters. Check around. Anyway the problem you describe is a sensor problem. Nothing else will make the door reverse and the lights flash 10 times.

o

You have plethora of knowledge about Sears openers. Hopefully you also have an idea which will help me.

I have a Sears 1/2HP opener and it works fine from the wall button. My problem is with the remotes. I can get one to work - both up and down - but it will only work when the lights are off on the opener. (The remotes will not work while the door is in motion or the opener lights are on.)

The wired wall button works all the time. The wall button (3-button model) is set to allow the remotes.

Please help - Thanks!

o

Any idea as to why my opener is malfuctioning???

We have a Craftsman model# 139.53918D
The problem I am having is when the door is down it will open on its own a couple hours later. This model has a diagnostic read out at the control console, but reads nothing after our discovery of the door being open. I also have checked the LED at the main unit and no flashing there. I can't say when it opens wether or not the lights flash as I have never been in the garage when it opens. Every thing else seems fine. It just seems to open after a couple hours.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! ;)

o

The problem I have is my door wont open at all. Neither the remote nor the wall button will budge it. My receiving eye sensor stopped working a couple months ago, and I just replaced it today...it glows green again. Both sensors are aligned. I checked all wiring between the door opener unit on the wall and the overhead unit, it's all well attached, and I reprogrammed the remotes. The wall unit and the overhead opener seem to be communicating, since the lightbulbs are flashing, and turn on and off when told to. The remotes seem to have no affect at all. Between ordering a manual, and a sensor kit, I'm in about $60.00 now. ouch. Anyone have any ideas why my door won't work at all? I would expect the motor to at least chug or something, but...nuthin! Just flashing lights when i press the wall buttons. Sears Model 139.53975SRT1. HELP!

o

I have an OLD Sears/Craftsman opener with what looks like a newer (updated) receiver on it (the "update" is dated 1994, transmitter model #139.53779).

We had 2 transmitters (remotes) and one was stolen along with my pickup the other day. I would like to continue using the transmitter I have (that is, I don't want to pay for new ones, being as I'm in a rental), but I don't want Joe Criminal using the garage remote he undoubtedly found in my pickup.

SO, I followed what random instructions I could find online and (I think) I erased the code memory on the receiver (pressed and held the smart button on the bottom of the receiver until the light went out-- +/- 6 seconds) and then tried to make the receiver learn a new code from the transmitter...
First, (following one set of instructions I found) I pressed the smart button and released it, then began holding the desired transmitter button whilst the receiver "learned"...it didn't.
Second, (following another set of instructions) I tried pressing and holding the transmitter button, THEN pressing the smart button on the receiver and letting it "learn." Still didn't.

Any advice on how to make my allegedly smart receiver pay attention to the transmitter?

o

First thing is you will not be changing codes. The code is in the remote and the receiver learns to recognize this code when you program the thing. It's a catch 22 situation you are in because without both remotes you can't know if they were coded alike at the factory or not. To program what you have just press and hold the button on the remote while you press and immediately release the smart/learn button. This should get you back in business with what you have. The only sure way to foil the crook at this point is to purchase 2 new remotes and then throw the old one in the trash bin. Remove the battery first.

o

I have three Sears / Craftsman 139.53325SRT (1/3 HP) garage door openers for a 3-car garage in a house I bought 3 1/2 years ago. The home, and presumably the door openers, are about 12 years old.

At the beginning of this year, the middle opener began failing, and as of this point all three openers have failed. The failures were gradual. They began by requiring repeated clicks of the remote or wall switch. Eventually, the door openers would only hum briefly when the remote or switch was depressed, but would not otherwise open or close. The lights would go on.

Now, the middle door (the first to have problems), does not respond to the switch or remote (the wall switch still shows a green, unflickering light). The other two still hum.

I suspect the logic boards on all three have failed, although I find the timing uncanny - all three within 12 months!. Before I go out and buy 3 boards, I want to be sure that it is the boards that failed and not the starting capacitor for the motor.

Any suggestions?

o

I am so thankful for this thread. My management company hasn't responded to my garage door issue because of the holidays and I needed it fixed asap. The door would open with remote but would not close and I had to hold the inside button down to get it to close. After reading the beginning of the thread I checked the green sensor which was fine, so I looked at the yellow sensor and it was loose. I tightened it and fixed the issue.

o

I am having problems with my garage door opener too. When I hit the wall button, the motor just makes a noise but nothing happens and then a green light flashes 5 times, pauses, then does it again on the side of the motor unit. The sensors appear to be lined up and it is getting power. Im not sure what to do...I dont think it is something major though. Does anyone know whats wrong or even better have a way to fix it?

o

Sounds like the trolley may be jammed against the bolt in front of the motor housing. If so, remove that bolt and then run your opener until it closes. While the door is closed turn the 'up limit' control 2 or 3 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Be sure to replace the bolt afterwords.

o

Hi all, i have had a similar issue to all these. I have 2 openers the same (2 car garage). Here is the first issue i had. My side when i hit the switch on the wall the door closed then stopped and re-opened. I thought it was the switch, so i traced the wires. All seemed to be fine. I got on a ladder, and fully power cycled the unit. Then referred to the directions to erase the codes on the transmitter, and reprogram it. That worked for that one. Now....my girlfriends side id doing the same thing. Wehn she hits the switch for hers, her door starts to close a few inches, then just re-opens. Same for the remote on her end. When we hit the button on the transmitter to open or close, it does the same thing as the switch. I checked the sensors on the left and right of the door and they are solid green. Is there anyway to get this to work normal again? Being that the cold weather has hit us, it's a PITA to get this thing to close. Although it seems to work when i use the big button and the middle one on the remote in conjunction. Seems like a transmitter or code issue. Any suggestions?? Thanks a bunch! :)

o

I have a Craftsman model139.53918D and will not acept the learn codes for open and close, it pushes down till it it forces to go back up. The LED light was blinking 11 times, before i tried to set learn codes and force adjustment now it blinks 9 times, any clues??

o

There is no code for 11 or 9 blinks. The maximum is 6. If your door is hitting the floor and reversing to the open position you will need to adjust your 'down limit'. This is located on the side of the motor unit and you will need to turn the control in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Some tweaking may be required to get it right.

o

I have experienced some form or another of this issues described above. However, I have a new one where regardless of using the remote or the wall unit, the motor hums but no movement of the chain at all. Pressing the button again pauses and starts the motor, I imagine going the opposite direction. Pressing the button one more time stops the motor. No physical movement at all has happened. This is a Craftsman 139.53674SRT2 model. Is it possible a motor shaft/gear is stripped, or is there some other possible explanation? thanks for any help!

o

It sounds like your drive gear has stripped. Take off the cover and look just in front of the motor. It is white nylon and usually you will find plastic filings inside the cover.

o

Wow...I couldn't imagine where I might be able to find help on my issue and then I came across this thread. I looked thru twice but didn't see this one from anyone.

My Sears 53914 1/2 HP works fine from the wired door switch. However none of my (3) remotes will work from in front of my garage (e.g. from my car in the driveway). I can bring any of the remotes into the house and they work fine from seemingly any reasonable distance. The dead zone seems to be approx 45 degrees left and right of dead center, even from a short distance.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? The antenna wire is dangling straight down just as it always did with no obstructions. I changed all the batteries, etc. Unit operated 4 years without any problems.

o

My dads exterior pad does not seem to work. We have in the past changed the battery and pressed the button in the back to reset things but no luck. It is a Sears 53635SRT.. anyone know where parts for this are sold?

o

Four remotes, none of which will work unless I am within 1 foot of door. Opener is mounted in a steel Morton barn. I have a new car with a built in remote that works fine. I have put new batteries in all re motes with no change. This problem started with in last 6 months.

o
RE: Sears Garage door opener won't open w/ remote

No Kids. Door does not open or close(see previous posting)

o
RE: Sears Garage door opener opens only slightly then closes

Just replaced gear and sprocket on a 10 yr. old Sears 1/2hp. All seemed to go well but when activated either thru remote or wall unit the door only opens approx. 12" then retracts. The sensors are glowing brightly (also replaced 1 yr ago)and do not flash when unit reverses. All connections look good and I have closely checked the wires to make sure they are good. Even before the chain was put back on the sprocket the opener only operated for a brief few seconds. The LED flashes 5 times intermittedly.I have adjusted both the up/ down force fully with no luck. Any idea what is causing the problem?? Thanks!

o

I have a Chamberlain hd900d belt drive operator. The logic board went bad and chamberlain gladly sent me a new one covered under warranty. I installed it and now when I try to program it it appears to be working backward. That is, the black button is supposed to adjust the up limit and the blue button should control the down limit. they work opposite of that. Also the safety sensors reverse the dooor when the are obstructed but they do it when the door is going up and the door reverses and comes down instead of the other way around. I have checked the plugs connected to the logic board three times and everything appears to be correct. Does anyone have an answer for me? Chamberlain tells me that the board may be defective and they are sending me another. What are the odds of the new board that they already sent me being wired backward? Am I doing something wrong?

o
Sears 1/2hp GDO Won't open or close

Happened suddenly. Unit is prob 12 years old, Model # 139.53535SRT1.

Motor runs but chain drive sprocket doesn't turn.

Probably the worm gear or sprocket assembly.

Is this easy to repair/replace, or is it better to just call Sears to repair or replace it?

o

If you are handy you can replace that gear yourself. It comes in a kit with complete instructions. The part number is 41A2817 and is available at Sears or any door service company.

o

Builder JT
If the door is going up, and you break the light beam, nothing should happen, the door should continue upwards.
The photo eyes are not working or active as the door is going up. They only work when it is coming down.
If the door is going upwards, and you break the light beam, and find that the door not only stops, but also closes by itself, then you have the carriage assembly mounted wrong on the T-rail.
The spring mechanism, and the two ends of the belt, must be on the left side of the T-rail as you are standing under the motor unit, looking out the door towards the driveway.
The logic board thinks it is closing the door when in fact, it is actually opening it.
This would also explain why the up and down buttons are driving you nuts.
Probably nothing wrong with any of the logic boards, I thing you have it assembled wrong.

o

Two weeks ago I had a new Sears Craftsmen 1.5 HP garage door opener installed. The opener I had before lasted 9 nine years ans was a craftsmen as well. The old opener would no longer close using the remotes and would blink 10 times (had to override). I wasn't sure if it was the board or sensors which lighted correctly solid green and yellow (sender). I decided on getting a new opener with key-less entry, surge protection and new remotes. It worked for one day and I experienced the same issue as with the old one. I cannot close the door with the remotes. I have to use the override in the garage. I get 10 flashing lights. Yet the sensor is a solid green upon close inspection. There is a single flashing light on the motor itself. Would the fact that the installers used existing wiring that was initially installed fastened with metal staples be causing this issue. They are coming tomorrow under warranty to investigate. I intend to ask them to replace the wiring. Could it be anything else.
Frustrated in Windsor, Ontario

o

It is definitely a sensor problem. That is the only thing that will cause the main light to flash 10 times.

o

My 2 year old Sears garage opener is spastic. It sometimes stops in mid-stream (up or down), no flashing light so no obstruction, beams are good. Sometimes works ok. The unit clicks and flashes on and off sometimes even when nothing is going on. I'm thinking a board is bad inside. Any thoughts

o

Door does not close unless button is held down.
Checked allignment of sending and receiving unit and seems OK.
what is unique is that both sensors's LEDs are green and inturrupting the signal (covering the receiving units eye) does not make the LED turn off. (ie) The LEDs are always green, even if signal is interrupted.

o

I have a sears 139.53640SRT garage door opener, mfg date 08/95. My problem is that my remotes do not open or close the door when the opener lignts are on. Everything else works fine otherwise. Also, when the garage door is closed the receiver and sender lights are steady, but when tne beam is interupted, the green light on the opener blinks 3 times. Thank you so much in advanced.

o

Thank you to everyone going back, I guess, to 2005! I had greased my unit to death but as soon as it got cold, the door wouldn't come down. Others described the symptoms perfectly. I cleaned the two little units off and discovered there's a wingnut on the back. It took all of five minutes to clean and adjust and my door works again. Thanks!

o

I have a Craftsman Garage Door Opener Mod 139.53985DM During the day,the remote controls only work within 3 feet of antenna. However they seem to work somewhat ok at night. I have changed the batteries , re-programed both remotes and keypad, and replaced locic board. Did not fix problem

Any Idea's Thank You

o

Just a heads up. I was having trouble with my remotes not closing my garage door. After reading this forum I was at wits end, nothing worked. This all happened after taking down the opener to sheet rock the garage. When I put it back up I replaced the incandecent light bulbs with CFL's. Well these bulbs must mess with the signals from the remotes because after removing the one closest to the reciever everything worked fine.

o

Stumbled across this thread while sleuthing for other things! My situation was exactly that of the OP and thanks to all those of knowledge and willing to take the time to post THANK YOU!!! I adjusted my sensors with the wing nut and it took only seconds to get the light to glow solid. Very easy fix. Thank you again.

o

Hi all, newbie here. I have two Sears Craftsman belt-drive door openers. 139.53918D (newer - 315MHz) and slightly older (2004) 139.53919 (I assume it's a 315MHz) Both have battery back-up and both work fine. The remote LCD Wall panel on the newer model (918D) keeps losing it's time. I'll set it and it'll be good for a day or two and then it flashes 12:00 as if the power was lost, not the case. Back-up battery is fully charged too. One more thing, I had no problem programming my Chrysler homelink transmitters to use with both openers but I can't program the secondary buttons on each remote to work with each opener. Any thoughts? Thanks!

o

Similar problem, door would go up about 6 inches and stop. I swapped sensors, cleaned them, fiddled with the limit stop, re-powered off and on several times, lubed the screw drive, and did a physical check of the door - all to no avail. It worked on override for a time, then stopped responding to that. Then took the cover off of the unit and found that a brown marmorated stink bug had apparently shorted several circuits on the main circuit board. Put it back together and it is working fine.

o

The problem I have is my door wont open at all. Neither the remote nor the wall button will budge it. The wall unit and the overhead opener seem to be communicating, since the lightbulbs are flashing, and turn on and off when told to. The remotes seem to have no affect at all. I replaced the chain onto the sprocket assemby and was adjusting the up and down on the main unit, Unit does nothing now when I press button on wall, is it possible to have adjusted the up/down too much to make unit not operate?Anyone have any ideas why my door won't work at all? I would expect the motor to at least chug or something, but...nuthin! Just flashing lights when i press the wall buttons. Sears Model 139.53975SRT1. HELP!

o

Yes it's possible to lock the door down by overtravel and hitting stops.

Is the trolley butted tight to a stop?

Is the track bowed up like it's under a lot of pressure? Have you disconneted the trolley from the door and tried to operate the back and forth on the track with out any door on it?

How many times to the lights flash? That is tied to a code to identify the problem/fault condition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here