Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
house_first_timer

Is This a Normal Roof?

house_first_timer
10 years ago

We went to open house in LA today and saw a house with this type of roof. There's no gutter and they installed the shingles over the edge. We are wondering the wood behind the shingles would rot, also about how much it would cost to remove the "wrapping" and make it normal?

Thanks.

You can see pic here:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x337/khysky11/wraproof_zps29514945.jpg

Comments (15)

• User
    10 years ago

I thought I'd seen almost everything.

Cannot imagine what reason they had for doing that. And cannot imagine buying the house just on that basis----might be similar crap inside.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Look at the water staining below those windows too. Makes you wonder about the flashing and stucco application, which would be another BIG worry. I'll bet this house is a trove of "what not to do's".

• house_first_timer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes, I've looked at a lot of houses but never seen anything like this before.

The interior was nicely updated though. The owner just didn't spend any on the exterior, a lot of the wood posts/columns have dry rots too.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The roof is not normal and is the result of the homeowner having received a bid to replace the facia or scrape, repair and repaint the facia, then deciding on this as an alternative.

The water staining under the windows is indicative of a incorrectly applied foam plant-on, in conjunction with the window change out, as an architectural element, because the house does not fit those.

Is the seller a realtor?

• house_first_timer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not sure if the seller is a realtor.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The reason I ask, is that with 35yrs, in the trades, in the area, it could be just one of the numerous machinations you can come across.

• Fori
    10 years ago

There are homes in S. CA that have a wrapped-ish roof--I think it was called "California storybook" or something like that. I'm guessing that this one is trying to be that. They're usually from the 1920s, adorable, and functional.

This one isn't quite there.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

If you google for "American Thatch Roof" images you will see what they were shooting for. But you can't do it with composition shingles or a small budget. When done right, it is just magnificent
    Casey

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

" But you can't do it with composition shingles or a small budget. When done right, it is just magnificent"

And thatch is against fire code in CA.

Believe me, it's not what they were shooting for.

This is nothing more than a jack-leg-laborers attempt to hide a failing element.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

Perfect Halloween Home!

• Fori
    10 years ago

I grew up in Orange Co., CA, and there were plenty of these homes from cottages to big honkin' mansions. Certainly no thatched roofs. But lots of character.

It really was a thing!

{{!gwi}}

• Fori
    10 years ago

I'm not saying that this is what was going on in our OP's house, but it might be what the owners were attempting. It is a cute--and beloved--regional style so I can imagine someone trying to do it. Without seeing the rest of the house it's hard to say.

But I think that house would have to have a lot of other stuff going for it for me to want to deal with what they did to that roof!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

"Believe me, it's not what they were shooting for."

So, you had a seance or something with the original builder?
    American Thatch is a process of using cedar shingles installed to emulate the appearance of old-world thatched cottage roofs. It can be replicated today anywhere that fire codes permit shakes.
    In this case, it's seems likely to me that upon some worker discovering the underlying framing for the "rolled eaves" they made a decision that rather than tear it out and reframe it, it would be simpler to just nail comp. shingles over it.
    Casey

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

" sombreuil_mongrel "

"In this case, it's seems likely to me that upon some worker discovering the underlying framing for the "rolled eaves" they made a decision that rather than tear it out and reframe it, it would be simpler to just nail comp. shingles over it.
    Casey"

I've expressed this in two posts.

I live here.

I've worked, in the trades here and as both a building and housing inspector for 35+ yrs.

And though I have not seen it all, this is typical of some of the cheap and dirty cover-ups that unscrupulous realtors and home owners will embark on, as are the plant-ons around the windows,