Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salbwil

cost of cedar shingles

salbwil
12 years ago

Hi,

Can someone please give me a ball park price for red cedar shingle siding installation.

I have a small tower ( area of 7 ft x 5 ft. on each of two sides) that needs the shingles replaced, and on another side of the house , an area triangle shaped , about 10 ft. high and 3 ft. at the top and 15 ft . at the bottom, that needs shingles replaced. The estimate I received seemed inordinately high , but we haven't had this done in 30 years, so maybe I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance,

salbwil

Comments (6)

• mainegrower
    12 years ago

Without knowing what the quote was, it's impossible to say if it's too high. There's also a great deal of variation from one geographic area to another in all projects of this type. However...

Two factors make the price for this work pretty high. The first is the shingles themselves - much more expensive then mass produced ones using more synthetic materials. Second is the labor cost. Proper installation requires a high degree of skill and lots of trial fitting and fine tuning of the shingles with a hand plane, especially at the outside corners where they intersect.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm in MA. and don't remember much hand planing the last time, but these areas only involve one corner ,on the tower, for a height of maybe 7 ft. The rest is on another side,straight rows from the bottom up at around 15 feet across to the top at around two feet across ( at the peak). As I said, I thought the estimate was WAY too high, but we're getting two more, so that should give us a better idea.I'm basing my ideas on what I've read online, stating it takes approx. 2-3 hours per square to hang them.
    salbwil

• salbwil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On this same topic, one bid said Tyvek was included, another said not to use Tyvek under cedar shingles. I'm not sure which is correct. Does anyone know, and thank you .?
    salbwil

• millworkman
    12 years ago

"stating it takes approx. 2-3 hours per square to hang them" With how many men installing the shingles? From what I recall one man installing "R&R's" will put up one to one and a half boxes per day which at 5 1/2" exposure that would be approx 3/4 of a square.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi millworkman,
    I don't think we're talking about the same product. I don't believe R and R are what we have for siding on the house. I think they are just high quality red cedar shingles ( no knots ) They were originally installed by us and a builder and coated with clear wood finish and 6 yrs later with clear cuprinol . They have been only finished since with clear and have weathered to a warm reddish brown. This time, against our better judgement, the painter we hired power washed them and blew many off and damaged many more. Thus, our need to replace them.
    salbwil

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Well then if not R&R's what type are they? And if they need planing and or cutting than they will take even longer to install (or should).

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!