Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macd279

Ceiling Leak - Seller's concealed

macd279
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for advice. My wife and I just closed on a house a week ago. The other day I noticed a large bubble protruding from the ceiling in the kitchen (below the bathroom). I poked the bubble with a screwdriver and 10 oz of water drained from the ceiling.

A plumber came out today and cut a whole in the ceiling and there was a bucket inside the drywall the seller had placed there to collect water from the leaks coming from the bathroom. I'm obviously disappointed that the seller knew about the leak and clearly concealed it. The subfloor is completely molded and is rotted out. The joist also seems like it has damage.

The plumber could not identify exactly what was causing the leak and recommended a complete gut of the bathroom. When we run the water, it looks like the leak is coming straight beneath the subfloor below the shower (not the pipes). We weren't expecting this one week into home ownership...Anyway, does anyone have any advice for us?

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• klem1
    9 years ago

"The plumber could not identify exactly what was causing the leak and recommended a complete gut of the bathroom
    ...Anyway, does anyone have any advice for us? "

Yes,get a plumber that knows what they are doing.
    Are you saying someone had repaired drywall, taped,textured and palnted after placing a bucket between ground floor ceiling and secound story floor? If that's the case,I would be consulting with an attorney.

• macd279
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, we'll get another plumber out here to take a look.

Yes, the previous owners did exactly that - repaired drywall, textured and painted after placing a bucket between floor ceiling and second story floor. My state (Virginia) seems to be regressive in situations like this, but I will be consulting an attorney.

• macd279
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, we'll get another plumber out here to take a look.

Yes, the previous owners did exactly that - repaired drywall, textured and painted after placing a bucket between floor ceiling and second story floor. My state (Virginia) seems to be regressive in situations like this, but I will be consulting an attorney.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I was surprised to read your state has different criteria for disclosure, but it appears it does.

"Virginia, however, has not joined this trend. The state of Virginia generally still goes by the old English common-law concept of âÂÂcaveat emptorâ (âÂÂlet the buyer bewareâÂÂ). That basically means that while sellers canâÂÂt lie outright or actively conceal a problem ��" and must honestly answer prospective buyers questions when asked ��" they arenâÂÂt obligated to point out the homeâÂÂs flaws or defects to buyers".

When we both bought this house, then updated our former home to sell, our realtor made it clear upfront that 'buyer beware' has been replaced with 'seller disclose' in this state. It would seem to me you would be covered by 'cannot actively conceal a problem' though....a bucket sealed into a space surely indicates knowledge of a potentially expensive leak.

How disappointing for you to move in and immediately be faced with a problem. I hope it can be resolved quickly and in your favor.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The source of water leaks can be difficult to track down. Certainly multiple opinions and experience is a good idea.

With such clear deception, you will have no problem with that part of your case. Question is, what do you want to do about it? Revoke the sale? Have them fix the bathroom? Cross your fingers on the rest of the house that was sold to you by liars and cheats?

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

The other day I noticed a large bubble protruding from the ceiling in the kitchen (below the bathroom).

Was this bubble not evident when you looked at the house before purchasing it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

While the bucket seems quite hillbilly, it doesn't necessarily mean deception. If the shower was used infrequently, the bucket would hold the leak long enough for evaporation to empty the bucket and the process to repeat. If the shower were used enough to overflow the bucket, the "solution" isn't working.

At least that's what I'd argue if I were the defense attorney in the lawsuit.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"The source of water leaks can be difficult to track down"

So are electric,hvac and other problems but that's why people that are too lazy or ignorant to locate and repair them shouldn't get paid for failure in doing so. I lay 2 to 1 a teenager could be walked through eleminating all but one of shower pan,wall tile,drain to pan,drain line,shower head,facuet or supply lines. Reading these forums show it to be common for so called pros getting paid for not finding problems. Often 2 or 3 fail before victims come here looking for answers.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

'While the bucket seems quite hillbilly, it doesn't necessarily mean deception.'

I guess its possible a previous owner did that and the seller didn't know but that sounds like a stretch, considering a bubble just happening to appear in the period between sale and closing. Or could have been a shady contractor's repair job, unbeknownst by the trusting customer/seller that hired him to fix the leak. Anything is possible of course.

But more likely they were aware their house had a leaking bathroom and that a bucket was catching water in the ceiling. Required by law to disclose flaws or not, knowingly selling someone a house that has a bucket concealed in the walls to catch leaking water is indeed deceitful. Such dishonest behavior is done by none other than crooks, cheating new home buyers so they can unload their house.