Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
real_cheep

Should I seal my driveway?

real_cheep Hall
17 years ago

Everybody in my neighborhood is always slathering that black sealing compound onto their asphalt driveways. I'm trying to figure out what the point of this is. I have a fairly long asphalt driveway, and it's kind of cracked up, with roots underneath and so forth, but I kind of like how it looks. I think the cracks and imperfections add character. Now, I understand that water could get through those cracks and maybe wash away some of the underlying soil, potentially causing a collapse of the asphalt paving, but if that happened, I suppose I could just get someone to come and fix it.

My question is, is there another reason for sealing my driveway of which I am unaware? If I'm willing to accept the natty appearance and risk of needing future repairs, is there any reason for me to follow in the footsteps of my neighbors, and seal my driveway?

Thanks for any advice, your help will either allow me to be more comfortable with my laissez-faire approach to driveway maintenance, or convince me to buy a few buckets of sealer.

Comments (7)