Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gutter - Spikes coming off

Posted by dc_boy (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 21:52

Hi,

I noticed that the gutter on the second floor is loose and hanging. The contrator who happened to be in the area told me that the gutter needs to be resecured using hidden hanger and it would cost me $ 280. I thought $280 was little too high and am thinking of getting handyman to come and tap the spikes.

Does the gutter really need to resecured using hidden hangers or just tapping spikes back would do the trick ?

Thanks for reading and responding to the post.

DC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gutter - Spikes coming off

The way I see it you have a couple of choices---1. tap them back in again and again and again or ---2. use the new brackets with screws and forget them.
Spikes/nails are going to work themselves loose, that is their job, in addition to holding up the gutter temporarily.

o

No idea what a fair price would be for the hidden hangers, but my guess is that he's concerned that the nails will just pull out again if he taps them back in. It could be that the fascia board they're nailed into is rotted and won't hold any fastener well.

o

You can replace the spikes with screw in spikes.

Even home depot has them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here