Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
do_it_yourselfer_gw

How do i replace my chain saw fuel line?

do_it_yourselfer
13 years ago

My fuel line is broken on my craftsman chain saw. The plastic tube goes down into the engine where it doesnt seem accessible. How do i find a replacement tube and connect it?

Comments (9)

• wallace58
    13 years ago

On a 20 yr old Poulan that hadn't been started in several yrs, I found the right size plastic tubing that was compatible with gasoline at an auto parts store. To install it required removing several items: Cover, gas tank, carb (or whatever provides fuel). After all this, the chainsaw still would not start.

• User
    13 years ago

Best fix is to take it to a repair shop. The labor to replace a fuel line is low. The correct hose needs to be used.

Often, to replace a fuel line on a chain saw, the engine and fuel tank need to be removed to get access to the part. The fuel line is inserted into the fuel tank through a very small hole in the tank and takes some experience to replace without putting a hole in the new line.

You might find an experiences person to help---if you lived in Kansas City, I could show you how fairly easily.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I just had to do this with a 25 year old Poulan. I happened on a web site that has great little videos on small engine repair. Here is the link to the video on how to replace a chainsaw fuel line. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replace fuel line video

• User
    13 years ago

That video is quite good----for that type saw. If the fuel tank is in front of the motor---that video is only good for the way to insert the new line.

I used a home made wire hook to find and pull out the line with the filter. I did have the forceps to install the new line.

• alan_s_thefirst
    13 years ago

Hopefully you used silicone fuel line - plastic hardens and cracks. I got replacement fuel line for a leaf blower from a small engine repair place, and what a difference - much more flexible.

• MapperTom
    10 years ago

I've got an old David Bradley 360 chain saw and the line inside the tank needs to be replaced. Any ideas or experience out there how to connect a new fuel line to the little nipple at the bottom of the fuel tank? It's pretty deep down there.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

"Hopefully you used silicone fuel line - plastic hardens and cracks."

Some sources note that silicone is not durable for gasoline. Better research the subject before installing. The RC engines typically do not use gasoline for fuel.

• seb99 z 6a
    10 years ago

It's a Craftsman! Take it to Sears. They may fix it for free.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Sears can't even supply a replacement fuel tank for my saw!