Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? mold?

Posted by lucky1_gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 21:05

Hi - About 4 years ago we had a big windstorm which caused damage to our roof. We had a small amount of water stain show through our bedroom ceiling, but no actual leak through the drywall. The stains are only noticeable at an angle, that's how faint they are. I remember noticing about 3 black spots awhile later, but didn't really think about it and wiped them off with bleach. The roof was repaired not long after the storm and since then there has been no leak. My question is are these spots mold? They reappear every so often (like 6 months between) and so far just in the same place. I recently learned that vinegar is a good mold killer and wiped the area with it.
I'm wondering if there could be more going on above the ceiling, although since there hasn't been a leak there for years now I wonder what? I know my husband won't want to cut the ceiling out and am wondering about painting over with Kilz?
(no plumbing at all is above this room, it's a one story.)
ceiling

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? mold?

I see that the picture didn't show the spots very well. The ceiling was previously a popcorn ceiling, the white bumps are the old texture. The spots I'm questioning are very light gray and hard to see here.
Thanks for any input!

o
RE: ? mold?

can you view this area from in the attic?
if so move insulation back and see what the
sheetrock looks like on the attic side.
if mold has grown through sheetrock you will see
it better from the attic.
also check above on roof decking to see if
it is wet.
it could well be that the water from the
roofleak wet the insulation and has trapped
moisture between insulation and sheetrock.

if you can get a pic from the other side it
would be of help. although no one can diagnose
it 100% online, perhaps we can point you in
the right direction.

best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here