Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brusso_gw

Peeled Wallpaper, now have messy walls

brusso
16 years ago

Peeled the wallpaper and the sheetrock was not sized nor painted. So, walls took a pretty good beating. Now, what is best way to repair before painting the walls. Big swatches of wallboard was ripped off leaving brown paper wall spots some as big as 3 x 4 feet! I was told to seal the walls with a shellac sealer then skim coat with watered down mud. The reasoning is that if the walls are not sealed then the mud, which is water based, would just make the walls bubble by getting them wet. Shellac sealer is best to use I was told because it wont make the paper bubble up.

Makes sense to me but is there another way? A better way to fix the walls?

Comments (11)

• Michael
    16 years ago

GARDZ. Let me repeat that. GARDZ is the sealer to use prior to skim coating and also after skim coat is sanded smooth. GARDZ locks down the paper, seals it against bubbling, etc.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: GARDZ

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

prime it to seal the surface against the moisture in the drywall mud, skim coat the wall, then prime it again to protect the repair against moisture in the final coats of paint.

• Michael
    16 years ago

Yup. That's exactly what I said. LOL

Michael

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"There should be laws against using wallpaper."

No, the law should be against not preparing the surface with primer and size.
    When the wall is primed and the sized before the wallpaper it comes off quickly and easily.
    When someone cuts corners, problems ensue.

A law against contact paper on drywall might be worthwhile.
    No matter how you prepare the surface, contact paper is a mess to remove.

• brusso
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys. I bought the GARDZ and applied it after sanding the walls. Dried in 2 hours. Then skim coated. It took 5 hours to do three rooms. Letting it dry overnight and will sand & prime manana.

No big deal. Thanks again

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

brickeyee says""There should be laws against using wallpaper."
    No, the law should be against not preparing the surface with primer and size.
    When the wall is primed and the sized before the wallpaper it comes off quickly and easily.
    When someone cuts corners, problems ensue.

A law against contact paper on drywall might be worthwhile.
    No matter how you prepare the surface, contact paper is a mess to remove.

Boy,I wish I could get that quote posted in everybody's front yard in the tri-state area!It would sure save me alot of explaining.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

My drywall guy is so sick of this work he has been turning it down.
    The rise of wall paper at the big box stores seems to have led to a rise in use and a complete failure of folks to prepare the wall surface correctly.
    The worst disaster I have seen was when someone used thinned down white glue to 'help' the pre-pasted wall paper.
    I looked and proposed new drywall after my drywall guys looked at the pictures I took.
    The owner continued looking for someone to skim all the walls, and after paying for a skim job had to pay us again to replace the drywall.
    They also could not understand why the bid changed after 6 months.

• brusso
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with everyting. I could understand if this were a 50 year old WP but, this house is only 12 years old. It was a shortcut taken to save $$ by the builder. I had a friend who sold to builders and tried to convince them to upgrade to better no-rot types of materials but their answer was "Why should I? I only need to warranty the home for one year".

Want an attitude.

• scott2006
    16 years ago

Had the same situation in my bath and kitchen. I bought a $50 wall sander from sears. Wow that helped a lot. It has a bag on it for dust and it can be attached to the vacuum if needed. It cut the sand work load way down.

Scott

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

I could understand if this were a 50 year old WP

If it were 50 year old paper it would come of with water alone,no problem!