Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sagging Door

Posted by tetwin11 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 20:23

We have an entry door leading to the back porch that is having some problems. It has a large gap between the top of the door away from the hinges, a consistent reasonable gap between the door and jamb along the entire height on the knob side, and it is hitting the jamb at the bottom away from the hinges.

So it seems to me like the door itself is becoming out of square.

Anyone have any other diagnosis or a way to fix it>

Thank!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sagging Door

Picture of the top of the door

o

And the bottom

o

Inspect the top hinge. There are probably loose screws, allowing the top of the door to tilt.

Take out one screw in the top hinge on the side with the loose screws and replace it with another screw that is longer by 1". In your picture, I would predrill for the new screw, using a 1/8" drill bit to prevent any cracking/splitting of the wood.

There could be loose screws on both sides of the hinge. If so, do the same to the other side.

If that fixes the problem, go ahead and replace at least two screws(4 for both sides) to better support the door load.

o

The screws commonly supied with hings are woefully inadequate for the weight of most doors.

Especially exterior doors.

The screws need to be INCHES long to reach past the jamb and into the studs.

NOT the less than one inch screws ta barely make it through the jamb.

If you use brass screws, be sure to run a steel screw in first to almost full depth (1/8 to 1/16 short)) to avoid breaking off the much softer brass screws in a new hole.

When I purchase a box of brass screws I ALWAYS purchase a couple steel screws of the same size (preferably with a Philips, Roberts, or other slot style) and throw them in the box.

o

It appears that those hinges are attached to an adjacent fixed door, not a jamb.

o

Get a large square ( 16" x 24") to see if it is the door or hinges. I had a wood exterior door with half glass that sagged out of square. Fixed it with diagonal bracing on the bottom half, something that you cannot do with full glass.

o

"It appears that those hinges are attached to an adjacent fixed door, not a jamb."

That does not matter for the screw length.

If the screws are the typical less than one inch they are inadequate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here