Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repairing a shake roof?

Posted by brittu (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 20:22

Our 15 year old shake roof has some lifted shakes and moss. Most roof places just offer new roofs but no fixes. We've had a $7,000 bid to replace 1/3rd of th shakes an reseal. Another bid of $1,500 to just nail down with a few replacements and no cleaning or sealant. How the heck do we know what's best? We live in Seattle...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repairing a shake roof?

I live in the Seattle area and had cedar shake roofs for over 30 years, so I know what you're facing. The problem with a 15-year old cedar roof is that you are going to have problems in other parts of the roof in the not-too-distant future, so whether you get the cheaper job or the more expensive one you're just putting things off a little.

Unfortunately, shake quality is poor these days because the shakes are typically new growth, which rots faster. After going through two cedar roofs and being at the point of needing a third, I decided that a 50 year, non-leaking steel roof was what I wanted. I love the look of cedar shakes when they are new, but the continuing maintenance is just a drag. My suggestion is to consider getting either an entirely new architectural shake roof that mimics cedar but will last a lot longer, or go to a steel roof. There is a lot of comfort in not having to continually clean off, worry about, and repair one's roof.

o

I agree with kudzu9. Cedar is a very pricy roof and for similar pricing, you can have somthing that you don't have to worry about every 10-15 years. Steel is the way to go. Or even high quality asphalt architectural shingles. Check with your insurance company about possibly receiving a discount for switching from cedar to steel. Some offer that because of the greater fire resistance. I don't think Seattle has issues with wildfires like SoCal, but it's remotely possible that your municipality might also offer incentives to switch to steel. It's worth a phone call.

o

They make steel roofing to mimic shakes and from a short distance one would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

o

If you already have deteriorated shakes, just walking on the roof to repair them is very likely to cause more leaks (or At least damage more shakes).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here