Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brusso_gw

Replacement sash window kits-whats best?

brusso
17 years ago

I am replacing window sashes with the kits that are available using low E double glass and all wood sashes clad in vinyl. Two major brands that I have been lookng at are 'MW' and 'JEldWen'. One is sold at Lowes the other at HD. The costs are almost double for the JEld Wen. Are they that much better? I was comparing the spec sheets and could not find any significant differences. What else can be a quality factor in looking at these kits? I'll need to replace 33 windows (9 are fixed) so I am talking several thousand bucks. I appreciate any commnets

Comments (12)

• Michael
    17 years ago

The Ultra Fit is what I use. It's by no means, "cheap".

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Fit

• User
    17 years ago

Why are you replacing the sashes? What are your existing windows? A well maintained original wood window with a good storm gives the same or better thermal performance as a modern replacement. Well maintained is the key phrase.

• brusso
    Original Author
    17 years ago

patser,
    The current windows are individual panes. The glazing is drying out and there are hundreds of panes to re-glaze. e.g. each fixed window is a 5x6. That's 30 panes and I have 9 of them!! Also, a thermal window is more attractive than a storm window and it adds to resale value (at least here in Ga it does). I know that storms are cheaper and do provide good thermal protection. I grew up with them in NJ. Also, you can change the sashes from the inside of the house. No need to mess around with ladders.
    Thanks for your input

• dandyjensen
    17 years ago

We use Lincoln Sash Replacement kits. Not as high end as JeldWen but then again, not much is. That said, we don't purchase them from the big box stores. We go through local suppliers. I only mention it because when we use our local guy, the price of the JeldWen is much lower than at the Depot. Still not as cheap as the Lincoln (or even Kolbe/Kolbe, another brand you might want to look at) but...

• Michael
    17 years ago

patser,

That's false. A well maintained single pane window with a storm will never produce a U factor of .25. The average would be about .70 which is a large energy waste.

Today, modern spacers like super spacer and high tech low e glass is the best value in energy savings. Energy savings is also the moral thing to do.

We sell historically correct wood windows that perform at .30 or better. They look great, perform great and save energy.

Michael

• brusso
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the inputs . I was really trying to find out the best sash kits to use. I already made up my mind to replace the sashes. jejvtr, I agree that the original windows look the best. In fact,a replacement window sometimes 'looks' out of place and might not be as good a fit as the original window. Mine are 20 years old. The outside looks great and I do not want to change that look at all. I just want to upgrade to a thermal low E sash. Also, as far as the investment goes, I dont think it is a cost benefit type of calculation that drives this. True, there is a savings type of payback in heating costs but also there is a re-sale factor that is gained by upgrading windows. Just like upgrading a kitchen countertop to granite. There is no payback with a countertop except for re-sale value. You wont be able to cut vegetables better on granite and that is not the reason to upgrade a kitchen countertop. That said, I am replacing window sashes with the kits that are available using low E double glass and all wood sashes clad in vinyl. Two major brands that I have been lookng at are 'MW' and 'JEldWen'. One is sold at Lowes the other at HD. The costs are almost double for the JEld Wen. Are they that much better? I was comparing the spec sheets and could not find any significant differences. What else can be a quality factor in looking at these kits? I'll need to replace 33 windows (9 are fixed) so I am talking several thousand bucks. I appreciate any commnets about the types of sash kit experience you have had

• fezzabeall
    10 years ago

What did you go wth? Are you satisfied?

• lunalott
    8 years ago

I agree sash replacement are so much better. Many of us have 100 year old houses and glazing double hung 15 light windows is so expensive. If you have storms which I do they do not move with the house i.e. clay soil which means they always gap and they to are problematic to clean and maintain. Im a designer contractor in the middle US south and replacement sashes are the way to go. It all depends on cost . Many historical and conservation neighborhoods only allow replacement windows to be wood with possibly a clad and wood inside to match existing. Vinyl window are cheap but wood not so much and if you replace the full window you need to pull trim and rework drywall paint trim and walls

• millworkman
    8 years ago

You agree with a NINE year old post? Why lunalott?

• Anangelsmom
    7 years ago

Thank you lunalott for your input. I have been researching replacement windows for our old house with wooden windows. We can't afford to replace the windows with new wooden windows. I am looking at just replacing the sashes now.

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

Marvin Tilt Packs are good replacement sashes, easy DIY.