Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement sash window kits-whats best?

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 20:02

I am replacing window sashes with the kits that are available using low E double glass and all wood sashes clad in vinyl. Two major brands that I have been lookng at are 'MW' and 'JEldWen'. One is sold at Lowes the other at HD. The costs are almost double for the JEld Wen. Are they that much better? I was comparing the spec sheets and could not find any significant differences. What else can be a quality factor in looking at these kits? I'll need to replace 33 windows (9 are fixed) so I am talking several thousand bucks. I appreciate any commnets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement sash window kits-whats best?

The Ultra Fit is what I use. It's by no means, "cheap".

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Fit

o

Why are you replacing the sashes? What are your existing windows? A well maintained original wood window with a good storm gives the same or better thermal performance as a modern replacement. Well maintained is the key phrase.

o

patser,
The current windows are individual panes. The glazing is drying out and there are hundreds of panes to re-glaze. e.g. each fixed window is a 5x6. That's 30 panes and I have 9 of them!! Also, a thermal window is more attractive than a storm window and it adds to resale value (at least here in Ga it does). I know that storms are cheaper and do provide good thermal protection. I grew up with them in NJ. Also, you can change the sashes from the inside of the house. No need to mess around with ladders.
Thanks for your input

o

We use Lincoln Sash Replacement kits. Not as high end as JeldWen but then again, not much is. That said, we don't purchase them from the big box stores. We go through local suppliers. I only mention it because when we use our local guy, the price of the JeldWen is much lower than at the Depot. Still not as cheap as the Lincoln (or even Kolbe/Kolbe, another brand you might want to look at) but...

o

patser,

That's false. A well maintained single pane window with a storm will never produce a U factor of .25. The average would be about .70 which is a large energy waste.

Today, modern spacers like super spacer and high tech low e glass is the best value in energy savings. Energy savings is also the moral thing to do.

We sell historically correct wood windows that perform at .30 or better. They look great, perform great and save energy.

Michael

o

"Why are you replacing the sashes? What are your existing windows? A well maintained original wood window with a good storm gives the same or better thermal performance as a modern replacement. Well maintained is the key phrase."

I have to agree w/Patser - I realize not everyone does - I just paid around $190/double hung window to have new parting strips, glazing replaced on many, re-balance (this guy was meticulous there) - entire window rehab.
Here's a couple of issues:
1. Typically the best suited window for your home is the original - that is the "custom" one.
2. from an esthetic standpt - I rarely see an older home with new replacement windows and say "wow look at how those windows made a difference" - I think many people don't really take a look at their homes outside & in to determine the detail in old windows - They are sold strictly by the ease of use & energy efficiency - Not realizing the authentic divided lights has much more to offer.

3. Many of the "energy efficient" windows are not without flaws - like the seal breaking or the window being improperly installed (another issue, yes)
4. dh is a banker so he tried to look at it from an investment (we all do) - in any case he tried doing the math - we have 26 windows - so lets say that came to around 20K to do a decent replacement or sash unit (i.e.Marvin) - and you received a return of 5% a yr on energy savings - lets say heating season runs $4,500 that is a return of $225/yr - we don't have central air
DH doesn't think he live long enough to recieve a return on his investment - even a 10% return

My $.02

o

Thanks for all the inputs . I was really trying to find out the best sash kits to use. I already made up my mind to replace the sashes. jejvtr, I agree that the original windows look the best. In fact,a replacement window sometimes 'looks' out of place and might not be as good a fit as the original window. Mine are 20 years old. The outside looks great and I do not want to change that look at all. I just want to upgrade to a thermal low E sash. Also, as far as the investment goes, I dont think it is a cost benefit type of calculation that drives this. True, there is a savings type of payback in heating costs but also there is a re-sale factor that is gained by upgrading windows. Just like upgrading a kitchen countertop to granite. There is no payback with a countertop except for re-sale value. You wont be able to cut vegetables better on granite and that is not the reason to upgrade a kitchen countertop. That said, I am replacing window sashes with the kits that are available using low E double glass and all wood sashes clad in vinyl. Two major brands that I have been lookng at are 'MW' and 'JEldWen'. One is sold at Lowes the other at HD. The costs are almost double for the JEld Wen. Are they that much better? I was comparing the spec sheets and could not find any significant differences. What else can be a quality factor in looking at these kits? I'll need to replace 33 windows (9 are fixed) so I am talking several thousand bucks. I appreciate any commnets about the types of sash kit experience you have had

o

What did you go wth? Are you satisfied?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here