Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Solar Panel on Chemwood Roof

Posted by habals (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 19:53

(EDIT: I moved the posting to the Renewable Energy Forum http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/energy/msg1019590814392.html)

Hi,

I am considering installing solar panels.
My roof is Chemwood which easily breaks and "discontinued".
The installer said that they can put other type of roof material under the solar panel (like composite shingle or wood shake) and they can do it right.
I am not knowledgeable on how the roof should be installed, so can you give me some advise what I should check or any comment whether I should do this or not?

I was concerned if the difference of the thickness of the roof can cause any future problem.

Any comment appreciated!!

This post was edited by habals on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 20:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Solar Panel on Chemwood Roof

first..I don't know what a Chemwood roof is..a fake cedar shake roof..
second..does this only apply the small area under the panel mounts?

ok..
my thoughts given the info above
how much does a Chemwood roof move? if you locked in the solar panel mounts to the roof rafters. will the Chemwood move enough to break the sealing joints?
if so..mount the panel mount through vent flashing..let the roof move without moving the mounts..seal the vents with silicon..about the only place I would silicon in construction.

-dkenny

o
RE: Installing Solar Panel on Chemwood Roof

What kind of solar panels? PV or HW. We have hot water solar panels which are heavy, but if you go with photovoltaic which are very light you're probably alright. Roofing is designed so a 200lb maintenance man can move around and work on the roof in addition to the normal live and dead loads required by the building code.

Our house has typical 30yr fiberglass roof shingles on a plywood subroof with building paper. The installation required adding some brackets, drilling some holes with flashing and sealing.

It's inspected every year along with the a/c & back-up boiler and hasn't caused any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here