Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

buying a used entry door

ranger481vs
13 years ago

I found a used fiberglass entry door on craigslist, which measurements match my existing "ugly" door that I would like to replace. How difficult is it to install just a door only into an existing door frame, and of course making sure it opens correctly, etc.?

Comments (6)

• jennifw
    13 years ago

are you looking at just the slab of the door or the entire thing in the frame? I have never done it, but my contractor (doing a remodel) said that re-using old doors is difficult (but he might be lazy, too!)

Good luck.

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, just the door slab itself without frame. I was hoping to be able to fit it to the existing frame that's in my house now.

• handymac
    13 years ago

Not a DIY type job. If the door does not fit exactly(and it can be off as much as a half inch), you will need to change the door framing to fit the new door.

That is not impossible, but most DIYers do not have the experience nor the tools to resize the door frame easily or quickly.

To start, you would need to measure the CL door and your present door. The CL door has to be within 1/16" (wide and tall) and not bigger. The hinges should be the same, but I've seen them different. That would mean making new hinge mortices. Same for the striker plate and latch.

And, the CL door and your present door would need to have the same swing---left hinges or right hinges.

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, thanks for confirming those points. Definitely not worth doing in my situation.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

It is not that hard to cut hinge or strike plate recesses in a wooden jamb.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

I agree with brickeyee - if you're patient, take your time and are willing to make incremental adjustments (do little, check the fit, do a little more, etc.) there's no reason you can't do this yourself.

I do think, however, things will be easier with a solid wood door than with a fiberglass one. The latter vary a good deal in how much wood is available on the hinge and jamb sides (if any).

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz