Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlesmartorelli

Stucco Patch as filler

charlesmartorelli
11 years ago

My home has a access door where the electrical panel and meter are on the outside of the house. After 50 years the hinges were rusted out and I went to replace them. I found out the small wood frame was rotted, so I replaces it, The old wood was mitered at a angle against the stucco wall and not having a table saw I just used the finished edges of the wood and thought I just fill in the holes with stucco patch. Behind the wood & Stucco is that black paper drywall they used in the 50's. The stucco patch worked out nicely but afterwords I started to think do I need to water proof the stucco patch, It says on the label it weather resistance. Or is that the job of the black paper drywall.

Thanks

Comments (2)

• AdamAbrahamA
    11 years ago

At first look, the smooth cover of stucco on the Eastern Birkenstock celtics home seemed as ideal as a roads, the most ideal aluminum foil against the severe wet climate of this seaside town. Yet below its abundant wrapp of ivy, the concrete spend was a clutter of breaks and attachment, symptoms that normal water had gotten in and broken the actual wooden lath.

When effectively set up, stucco (a cement- or lime-based plaster) is about as untroubled and long-lived a cladding as anyone could wish 100 years is not unusual. But when big breaks or sores appear, the time to make maintenance is right away, before the destruction develops.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Here's the thing: when you use mortar as wood filler for rotted wood, you fix nothing; you have put a moisture-holding substance next to the damp wood, which is going to allow the rot to proceed apace.
    You need to either replace the rotted wood, or let it dry fully, then treat with ($$$) epoxy consolidant and filler.
    Casey