Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Any fix for rot in wood frames besides replacement?

I noticed today that several of my exterior window sills have some rot. The paint layer is intact, so not til I pressed on one did I realize it.

The windows themselves (all wood) are perfectly fine. It's just the outermost portion of the sill. There are two parts to it: a section of wood ~ 4" deep right outside the window, which looks like it is part of the pre-hung window, and a strip of 2 x 2 (approx) that looks like it was applied with the outside molding after the window was put in it's opening. It is that 2 x 2 that seems to have the rot, plus a small part of the side molding where it meets that. Of course I can't see if the rot extends into the sill itself.

I could take a photo but with the paint still there, there is not much to see. Of course, it is mid October. I don't think I could get this fixed before it gets really cold, or find someone to do it. I am handy but no carpenter. I am afraid to totally leave it for the winter. If it extends into the sill I don't know what to do. It seems like overkill to replace a perfectly functioning window just because there is rot in the sill. Plus there is a marble tile backsplash on the other side that would be ruined if we did try to replace the whole window.

I remember hearing somewhere that there is a wood rot treatment that saves you having to replace the wood. I also heard somewhere about using Bondo. I know nothing about Bondo other than I used it on my first car decades ago :) A couple of friends of mine just did theirs with tuckpointing mortar. I guess they had it around and thought, why not.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Use this stuff:

Here is a link that might be useful: Abatron

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

after solving the issues that caused the rot in
    the first place, I use this product.
    Durham's rock hard Water Putty
    not costly, easy to use, sands smooth
    for painting,
    only 1/2 way around my house working on windows
    also. make sure exterior sill slants so that
    it won't hold water.

best of luck.

• John Tebbs
    10 years ago

Use the Abatron link. The epoxy wood replacement system works, and is a permanent fix. I have Abatron epoxy repairs that I did 30 years ago that are still performing well, and I'm restoring historic windows with it now.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Abatron is expensive but it works very well; everything else shrinks creating cracks that allow further deterioration. Don't use anything that is ready mixed or to which water is added.

The hardener can be put into holes drilled in still intact wood and the 2 part epoxy can be shaped to replace portions that must be removed. It takes some experience to know which is most appropriate.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Do you think that liquid wood would also work for swelled and crumbly plywood?

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

with any filler you have to take the wood back
    to where it isn't rotted or damaged.

take a look at your plywood (pressed wood or
    cdx??) and see how much you have to remove
    & how deep the rot is.

best of luck.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

This is actually around the edges of bathroom cabinets, so not rot but just swelled up a bit. Just wondering whether I can have it soak in and then sand, prime, paint.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, if it's crumbly, you have to cut it out.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

swelling is usually a moisture problem.
    without addressing the moisture
    any fix will be temporary.

sorry.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

The moisture is when people spill water on the part of the vanity where paint has come off.
    Just wanted to know whether this stuff can be used for plywood or particle board.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You can use Abatron on just about anything - a company rep said I could use it to fill in a small piece of drywall. Your problem, as I see it, is that you are not going to get the plywood to "unswell."

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I've been sanding it but it's like cardboard layers that are lifting off. So my idea was to soak it with liquid wood and then sand it. If it doesn't work, I also have rotten windows to fix :)

• beaniebakes
    10 years ago

I've used CPES two part epoxy to restore window sills with dry rot in an 1840 house. They make several products; sealer, paste filler, and a gel that's used with a caulk gun. It's similar to Abatron but not as well known. Worked great. I got it online from rotdoctor.com.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Try this stuff if your looking to use an Epoxy system, been told this is about the best available. But for plywood I do not believe there is really anyway to repair it, just not doable.

Here is a link that might be useful: West System

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

I've had great sucess wiith the Durham's product.
    remove rotted wood, vac out pieces of wood to
    good wood, apply in layers,
    sand smoothe. kilz twice paint 2-3 times.

I know someone posted not to use products
    that mix with water...but when you have a lot to
    do the other epoxy produces are expensive.

just my pov & experience. I consulted a
    master carpenter/retrofitter before making
    the durham purchase.

best of luck.