Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucets repair help please

Posted by birdgardner (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 19:08

Lavatory faucet Kohler Fairfax widespread. Both sides leaking under handles. Popped off top buttons, unscrewed screws, cannot lift/remove handles to get at cartridge.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Fairfax-widespread-bathroom-sink-faucet-with-lever-handles/productDetail/Sink-Faucets/416163.htm?skuId=362362#

Kitchen Delta Foundations Single Lever Pullout faucet, leaking under handle. Removed set screw in handle, sprayed inside with vinegar and WD 40, cannot remove handle to get at ball valve.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/delta-b4310lf-foundations-core-b-pullout-spray-kitchen-faucet/p1306905

Personal rant: what good is a lifetime parts warranty when lifetime means 12 years and 5 years respectively, AND there are no d--- instructions AND the things won't come apart?

I put these (deleted) in just fine but now I can't fix them. I paid good money and I HATE working with sinks. Especially under them. Give me a toilet any day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucets repair help please

Buy a handle puller and when you re-installl use a little faucet lube, which you should have done in the first place.

o

You need a handle puller. Once you get the handles up, you probably still have to remove the bodies under them. try unscrewing with both hands, or use a small strap wrench.

This post was edited by homebound on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 22:23

o

Thanks. I see how the handle puller will work for the lavatory handles but not for the single handle kitchen faucet. The center shaft would have to go right into the handle. Do they make a different kind for that or is there some other trick ? I thought of fitting a wood brace under it and tapping the brace with a hammer.

o

Since any repairs or adjustments require that the handle be removed, remove the set screw and, repeatedly, apply your chemicals, CLR, vinegar or lime away, into that space.
Attempt to move the handle in s motion adverse to its normal motion.

If all else fails, be prepared to sacrifice the handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here