Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Pocket Door Wheel

happs
11 years ago

I have a 40 year pocket door that wobbles when opening and closing and falls off the track at the very end, right before it hits the frame/wall/jamb (don't know correct terminology). A carpenter came out and

1.Adjusted the track,

2.Put some rollers on the bottom part of pocket door opening to give it more stability as it slides across the track.

3.Put petroleum jelly on the track so the door slides better 4.Put a piece of wood right up against the frame/wall/jamb/ right before the door falls off the track at the very end so the door would stop against that piece of wood and not fall off the track.

These remedies have improved the performance of the pocket door sliding across the track by 50%. I had another carpenter come out to give me his opinion/estimate on the issue and he told me that the wheel at the top of the pocket door was bent. I saw the wheel curving to the right with my own eyes and compared with to another pocket door that works perfectly that has a vertical wheel. He told me for a $120 he would change the wheel.

Will replacing the wheel significantly improve the performance of the pocket door as it slides across the track? Can one take a pair of pliers or other tool and bend the wheel back to a vertical position?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio