Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/ Door Seal

Posted by elroyyboy (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 18:29

Hi,
We put all new doors in our cape cod home last year and we noticed this week that the 1/2 glass steel door exiting from the kitchen to the deck allows light through the seal on the outer edge of the door below the lock set.
I can close the door and it seals tightly all the way around except for the portion of the door below the lock set (on the side away from the hinges).
I've checked the tightness of the hinge screws and also that they are not stripped.
Can anyone offer advice on how to adjust this door?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help w/ Door Seal

You may have to remove the frame molding and re-shim the door frame on that side.

o

OK, got it. But would I shim it at the top to bring the bottom in, or at the bottom?

Thanks,

o

Actually, the shims are not the problem. The orientation of the latch side on the frame as fastened to the house and the alignment of the door to that frame is causing the gap between the door and the weatherstripping.

So, to fix that problem, you will need to move the bottom of the door frame in(towards the inside of the house.

Now, that may be difficult, especially if the threshhold is fastened to the floor.

So, it may be necessay(easier) to move the top half of the frame out(towards the outside of the house).

That can easily cause a misalignment of the frame to the sheetrock.

Fortunately, the distance the frame needs to be moved is probably less than 1/16". Thatt distance is almost negligable for the frame to sheetrock alignment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here