Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok, I'm stupid plz help :) -doorbell mount

Posted by cottagecindy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 18:23

This is probably the stupidest question to all of you (I am clueless about this)
but I put up a new doorbell (a nice one I :may" want to keep if I move)
I relocated it to fit in with the door hardware and....

the 2 screws to keep it tight in place-one screws into wood. the other screws into empty space-nada.
so how the heck do I keep the other screw in place so it doesn't fall out?
I tried putting a small piece of wood/lath type-it split. (it's a very small opening but still a hole so no grab)
should I just put glue in the hole to keep the bronze screw from falling out (I can make the other hold the doorbell unit tight against the wall)
I'm assuming glue would make the screw permanent? I don't want to lose this screw.

and each time I take the doorbell off the wall, it is a pain to remount, and the "button" falls out etc. Can I just glue the metal in there and someday ply it out or something like that? just a quick get the darn screw in there. uggg

thanks all :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok, I'm stupid plz help :) -doorbell mount

maybe I kind of confused my explanation.

can I glue the metal bronzed screw into the screwhole of the doorbell mount since it doesn't attach to anything behind it, then someday use the doorbell again, somehow getting the screw out of the fixture mount I glued it into?

I'm not messing with a major redo in the hole (bondo and more wood) it is a rental, so if glue does work I might as well just leave it when i move (hopefully not for yearsssssss)
but what type of glue so the screw never falls out? (at least not till I pry it out.)

o
RE: ok, I'm stupid plz help :) -doorbell mount

Go to the hardware store and buy a plastic insert large enough to fill the hole that you can then screw the doorbell screw into.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here