Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimrac

Want your opinions on roof pitch

jimrac
18 years ago

Hi all,

Originally i was contemplating going with a 4/12 pitched roof(gable) for a tool/garden shed that is 16x8; 8 feet is front to back.

Now, i am saying to myself, side the walls are 8 feet in heighth, I am thinking a lower pitched roof wont look right?

Whats your opinion?

I am leaing towards at least an 8 or even 12 pitch... so I think, at a 12 pitch the roof will rise 4 feet to the ridge...

correct?

thanks appreciate your opinions.

Comments (8)

• lazypup
    18 years ago

when discussing pitch the first number indicates the rise on a 12" run. A 12/12 pitch would rise 12" for each 12" of run, therefore if the end of the bldg is 8ft a 12/12 pitch would make the peak 8ft higher.

A 6/12 pitch would make the peak 4ft higher.

• jimrac
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lazy!

If the front to the back of the shed is only 8 feet, and my peak is going to be in the middle,, then my run will be only 4 feet, therefore, a 12/12 pitch would only have a roof height of 4 feet?? Agree? My ridge is going to run parallel to the front and back of the shed. i hope I am making myself clear!

Do you think a steeper pitched roof, for appearances sake will be better than lets say a 4/12 pitch, for walls 8 feet high?

Thanks,

jim

• handymac
    18 years ago

Pitch the roof at the same pitch as the house.

That will look the best.

• lazypup
    18 years ago

I would agree with Handimac,, you should make the pitch the same as the house. In that manner both structures compliment the other. Also keep in mind, the greater the pitch the greater the surface area, therefore the greater the cost for roofing materials.

• jimrac
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, thanks, makes sense to me.

Appreciate your input pup and mac.

• donrichards_2000_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I'm building a 16x16 spa enclosure and I want the roof pitch to be 4:12. How high would the center be. I also want to install two 24" skylights but is the roof pitch too low for water drainage?

• Rob
    8 years ago
    Jimrac, I know this is an old post, but do you have a picture of the shed. I am currently in the same situation with a 16x8 shed. I would like to see what pitch you chose and if you are happy with the pitch. Any photos?
  • Christopher_H
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As was said before, the suggestion of the roof pitch matching the house always looks best.

I had my shed built and delivered and the roof pitch is the same as my house, the siding is the same as my house, and looks like it was built when the house was built.

This is a photo of the basic 8x12 shed and I optioned it out to what I wanted. It's 10x20, has steel doors, a weathervane on the copula, and I ran power to it.