Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want your opinions on roof pitch

Posted by jimrac (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 18:21

Hi all,

Originally i was contemplating going with a 4/12 pitched roof(gable) for a tool/garden shed that is 16x8; 8 feet is front to back.

Now, i am saying to myself, side the walls are 8 feet in heighth, I am thinking a lower pitched roof wont look right?

Whats your opinion?

I am leaing towards at least an 8 or even 12 pitch... so I think, at a 12 pitch the roof will rise 4 feet to the ridge...
correct?

thanks appreciate your opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want your opinions on roof pitch

when discussing pitch the first number indicates the rise on a 12" run. A 12/12 pitch would rise 12" for each 12" of run, therefore if the end of the bldg is 8ft a 12/12 pitch would make the peak 8ft higher.

A 6/12 pitch would make the peak 4ft higher.

o

Thanks Lazy!

If the front to the back of the shed is only 8 feet, and my peak is going to be in the middle,, then my run will be only 4 feet, therefore, a 12/12 pitch would only have a roof height of 4 feet?? Agree? My ridge is going to run parallel to the front and back of the shed. i hope I am making myself clear!

Do you think a steeper pitched roof, for appearances sake will be better than lets say a 4/12 pitch, for walls 8 feet high?

Thanks,

jim

o

Pitch the roof at the same pitch as the house.

That will look the best.

o

I would agree with Handimac,, you should make the pitch the same as the house. In that manner both structures compliment the other. Also keep in mind, the greater the pitch the greater the surface area, therefore the greater the cost for roofing materials.

o

Ok, thanks, makes sense to me.

Appreciate your input pup and mac.

o
roof pitch

I'm building a 16x16 spa enclosure and I want the roof pitch to be 4:12. How high would the center be. I also want to install two 24" skylights but is the roof pitch too low for water drainage?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here