Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ames Snow Seal vs. cheaper elastic roof sealants

Posted by texasjg (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 17:51

I need to cover a metal roof and a BUR roof in New Mexico. My contractor had me purchase 5 gal of Ames Snow Seal for the carport metal roof, which was around $150. There appear to be other types of elastic roof sealants out there which are much less expensive. However, I tend to believe that you get what you pay for. I wonder how the cheap sealants will stand up in our very hot summers and cold winters. Any experience with these products? The BUR roof will take maybe 3 five gallon buckets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ames Snow Seal vs. cheaper elastic roof sealants

Not well, they are cheap for a reason.

o

Thanks, Millworkman, I figured as much. I ordered the Snow Seal and will post results here after we put it on.

o

I am really not familiar with Ames Snow Seal but I do know that in Roof Sealant products the cheap stuff is crap and while it will work it will only need to be redone in short order and hopefully nothing else will be ruined by using the crap.

o

I am really not familiar with Ames Snow Seal but I do know that in Roof Sealant products the cheap stuff is crap and while it will work it will only need to be redone in short order and hopefully nothing else will be ruined by using the crap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here