Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering holes in asphalt shingles

Posted by dwpc (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 17:06

We removed a solar water heating array from our roof and it left quite a few small holes in the shingles (fiberglass/asphalt) from 3/8" hold-down bolts. I was planning to cut or punch small (2") rounds from spare shingles, and bed them in roofing cement over each hole. Is that a sound plan? Or would a healthy shot of cement filling each hole be enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering holes in asphalt shingles

Personally I wouldn't trust either fix.

That roof is protecting how many thousands of dollars in framing, drywall, decor and etc.?

replace the perforated shingles with whole shingles, properly installed. save the patches for the underlay.

Sure you will pay a roofer for a mornings work and the shingles might not match perfectly but water damage from roof leaks goes on for a long, long time before you notice it in the house...usually.

o

Also, the roofer might discover that you've had undetected leaks around those mounting bolts. A good inspection is in order after removal of those panels.

o

Agreed. Replace, not repair.

o

It is best to repair a break in a roof shingle by placing a metal sheet under it. The stuff you put on top is temporary and/or essentially cosmetic. Mother nature is not kind to roof patches.

o

I like to take a shingle tab. if your shingles are 3 tab. slide it under the shingle with the hole. then tar the hole. you might need to cut the top 2 inches off the tab and remove nails to make it fit. for the best look tar the hole from the bottom.

I agree with others make sure there has been no water damage around the holes. if there is, the repair the sheating and put new shingles down.

-dkenny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here