Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fence: redwood or cedar?

Posted by dwpc (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 17:03

Is there anything besides color/appearance that differentiates between western red cedar and redwood for a board fence?
Fence will be 6 ft. shadowbox style on "Postmaster" steel posts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fence: redwood or cedar?

Redwood is too nice of a wood to be used on a fence. Use Cedar its much cheaper and will do the job.

o
RE: Fence: redwood or cedar?

There are several families of cedar and many species. And location effects price too.

Here's a link:

http://www.alliancewood.com/faq_cedar_vs_redwood.php

I just rented a house at the Sea Ranch development in northern Cal - strict building guidelines in force there and there's LOTS of red cedar in use for siding and fences. Beautiful stuff.

Bill

o
RE: Fence: redwood or cedar? -

I should add that old growth wood is more stable, durable and beautiful than the fast growing stuff. Whenever I'm at the lumberyard I look over the stock and if I happen to find some tight, straight grain I buy it, whether I need it then or not. I hoard/love the stuff.

So, another variable is how the tree grew - fast or slow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here