Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shingles:gaf camelot v. camelot ii

Posted by organicsue (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 15:33

Hi all -- in doing more internet searching for shingles and really making myself nuts with all the brands/lines, etc. I came across one I love the looks of -- the GAF Camelot, but it is a super-heavy shingle -- over 450 lbs per square, and very expensive. But GAF also makes the Camelot II -- which I understand from the manufacturer is about 280 lbs per square, and a lot less expensive -- but at the GAF website really, except for different colors -- they look virtually the same. How can that be? If anyone can shed any light on what I can expect down the road if I had these put up. I am afraid of shingles blowing off because they are thinner, etc. So if anyone is knowledgeable about the particular Camelot II, please let me know. Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shingles:gaf camelot v. camelot ii

For years the standard in Architectural Roof Shingles was an asphalt based mat shingle that weighed in at about 300# per square. The fiberglass mat shingles which are prevalent today are going to be lighter due to the fiberglass as oppose to the asphalt mat. The Camelot II will be slightly thinner but should be no real difference in appearance the differnce being in the length of warranty due to the weight. The Camelot II was the standard for many years as their base Architect Shingle product with a 30 yr warranty. I think you would be fine with the Camelot II and they do have a 130 mph wind rating. I would be more concerned that they are installed by a competent roofer!

o
RE: shingles:gaf camelot v. camelot ii

Thanks so much for your input. Actually the warranty seems to be the same on both. So again, only difference I can see is the color choices, and as you said, the II would be a little thinner. I really should get to a supplier to look at the samples themselves if possible, because the boards they give out also will not show thickness. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here