Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in concrete driveway

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 14:47

About a year ago we had our old driveway ripped out and replaced. There are now about 5 quarter sized 1/2" deep holes in the driveway. The concrete contractor says it is because we parked our car on the driveway last winter. We did not use any snow removal chemicals. Is this normal or a result of a poor concrete job.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in concrete driveway

Many concrete contractors are skilled at placing and finishing concrete so that it looks good. But some of them are ignorant of the technology and chemistry of concrete. I have no skills at either one of them. But you might read up on spalling and it's causes.

o

When I read this the first thing to come to mind is stone pops, especially if they did not use limestone in the mix.

o

You should be able to park on a driveway. Even in winter. Your contractor is full of it.

o

Agree. Perhaps the concrete wasn't air-entrained.

Driveways are made to be used. You may want to consult a lawyer. Was there any paperwork or specifications on the concrete they'd use, the steel etc?

My Dad was an Engineer, so I'm kind of picky about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air-entrained concrete

o

Because you parked a car on it? Why didn't he just call you up and call you an idiot? Moron. I know nothing about concrete, only that it does come in different formulas for different uses.
Good luck with this guy. You'll need it form the sounds of it.

o

Sounds like stone pops or subsurface bubbles in the concrete which strongly indicates they did not jitterbug the concrete before they screeded it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here