Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Craftsman drill issues. Need advice.

ratherbesewing
9 years ago

I own a Craftsman 16.8 volt battery powered drill ( purchased about 10 years ago and not heavily used). I went to use it a few days ago and the battery was dead. I plugged it into the charger and the charger is not working (light doesn't come on). I brought the unit to Sears, but they don't have the 16.8 charger and I can't find it on the website. I guess it's obsolete. Can I use a higher voltage charger? Or any other advice?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ratherbesewing:

I gave away a perfectly good drill because I couldn't replace the batteries for what I could get a new drill, charger, and batteries for.

• sdello
    9 years ago

go to a Radio Shack and see if they have something that will work. A quick google search indicates that 16.8V batteries were used in video equipment. Here's a link that might be useful.

Of course if the battery is bad too, then you're just wasting money. May be time to get a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: 16.8V charger

• klem1
    9 years ago

Odds are greater that battery is bad. If it is,you can use an 18 volt if you find one that fits on drill. If you are handy with electrical soldering we can tell you how to repair your battery.
    Most recconized brands offer chargers desighned for multiple voltages. Take the battery to Lowes or Home Depot to see if it fitts a brand on their shelf.
    If you got 10 years out of it maybe it's time for a new drill.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Your main problem may be matching the battery's shape to another charger. I know it's hard to give up on a tool that is still mechanically fine. However, there are many good, inexpensive cordless drills on the market, and the cost may not be any more than getting a charger and new battery for your old drill...maybe less.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

It is frustrating. I thought i bought a drill but when the batteries were shot, I learned they are throw away drills. The batteries were not readily available and it was cheaper to get a new one. Per HD, that'd the deal with them. Waste of good money.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all advice. Online, I found a thread talking about a fuse in their charger that went bad. The fuse was available at Radio Shack. Now, I have to figure out how to get the charger apart--probably need another tool! This is frustrating. Fortunately, I own a very old refurbished electric drill (thanks Dad) that worked to move my immediate project along.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

For $60 you can get a decent quality 20V Black and Decker cordless drill on Amazon. How much will you spend in terms of replacement parts, time, and frustration trying to get the old one to work?

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 4:58

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update and happy ending!! Sears.com is different than Searsparts.com (who knew??) Anyway, I found the charger for $14.99 on the parts website. Luckily, there was a Sears Parts store 30 miles away from me (where they also repair and refurbish tools) that had the charger and it works. Nothing's easy, but I am happy.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

In my entire tool-relying work life, I don't think I have ever worn out a battery operated tool of any kind. It's always the batteries, from those wonderful early Makitas to the crap Ryobi of today. Snookums hit the nail on the head.

For a while there a dozen years ago when Sears was still a healthy store it was cheaper around Christmas time to buy a tool in a case with a new charger and two new batteries than it was to buy two new batteries all by themselves. It was a nuts situation but not unique to tools. Look at Lexmark!

In truth I have one 18 volt drill (15 little sub-C cells inside) somewhere but have no idea where the charger is. I'll never learn.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Somehow I can never bring myself to throw old tools with dead batteries away. I still have my first cordless drill, a 9.6v Makita on the shelf. I went through four pairs of batteries on it, and the drill is still good, it just doesn't seem to make sense to buy more batteries for if when the Bosch LI-ion 18V drill I have now is so much more powerful and capable. The Makita seemed like a miracle after hauling a cord around for decades-- what a great invention! Unlike the 18V DeWalt POS with the self-untightening chuck and perpetually dead battery even when new I tried a couple of years ago-- it's going into the church rummage sale this year.

I've had pretty good luck finding less expensive replacement batteries on ebay that have worked out well. It should be possible to take a battery apart and replace the individual cells relatively cheaply, but I've never been motivated enough to do that.

• ajames54
    9 years ago

rwiegand ... I'm looking for 9.6v Makita..

I broke mine a few years ago (dropped it off the ladder while fixing our eaves, 25 feet onto a concrete driveway) , but I kept the batteries and charger.

I have burned through a DeWalt and a Porter Cable in the few years since the Makita died and I would be bid for a replacement at the right price....

Grin

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I bought some Chinese-made replacement rechargeable batteries for my Milwaukee 14.4 volt tools. They were junk.
    Found online a place called Hoffa's Batteries in Laurel MS that rebuilds batteries and seems to have good reputation. Have not used them yet but probably will do so soon.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner