Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend a better mailbox

Posted by db4570 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 14:25

I want to upgrade from the typical mailbox sold at home centers, but still keep a traditional style, in metal. I don't like the plastic ones, or the ornate fancy ones. I just want an old-fashioned mailbox on a post that is higher quality and a little more heavy-duty than the cheapies. I have seen some really heavy-gauge ones that are vandal proof, but they're overkill, and over $100.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend a better mailbox

Gibralter and Salsbury make good product. And yeah, you kinda do have to be close to $100 for a good box.

Don't forget the matching $128 post.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4800 Series Post-Mount Deluxe Rural Mailbox

o
RE: Recommend a better mailbox

Get the box you want.

If you want it to be able to take the drivers who can't tell the difference between the road and the shoulder you need a post that can withstand there assault.

3' or 4 " PVC or Steel filled with concrete and set into the ground in concrete will take care of the drivers who have had a few to many.

Once they realize the cost of repair to there car is more then replacing the mailbox they tend to be a bit more careful.

( Thank my neighbor and his dumb-ass kids for this attitude.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here